Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic GH1 Availability  (Read 7258 times)

cwlane

Panasonic GH1 Availability
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:27:55 pm »

Hi Michael,

You have commented a few times about the GH1's backorder situation.  Can you advise?  Online, direct from Panay, big box, local camera store?

Thanks.

A huge fan for 4 years.

Chris
writtenbythelight.blogspot.com

michael

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 09:07:31 pm »

I found one from a local dealer in Toronto the week that they came out in June. Apparently they are showing up, but not in sufficient volume to meet demand. I also think that Panasonic simply screwed up on production.

I can't really recommend where you should look, though I do see them on eBay at over list if you can't wait.

Michael
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:08:30 pm by michael »

Charles Wood

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 04:52:17 pm »

By the time Panasonic finds it's butt, the ever-evolving combo-cam market will spit out something new. I view the Panasonic as another one of the short lived products that make it's way to the market place, as the market tries to redefine itself.  The fact is, the Panasonic form factor is not particularly good and in fact, none of the DSLR/video combo cams is particularly good in terms of ergonomics. The ideal form factor is that of one of the smaller existing palm corders but combined with state of the art optics and still capability. When that happens I may become interested in a combo cam but in the meanwhile my HV20 works just fine and delivers stunning, artifact free video.   And the sad fact is that most of the display devices sold to the consumer today are so full of 'processing' that high definition as known today, can only be described as HD Lite.

I was involved in the first demonstration of high definition video with surround sound at the Winter Consumer Electronics Show in 1988 or 89...it's been awhile. We used analog HD demo tapes provided by HBO and NHK Japan, running at 30 ips on two inch transports, weighing 800 lbs in the rack, projecting onto a 12' diagonal 16:9 screen using a BARCO Data projector with 9" CRTs.  It was stunning. But if you go into any big box store today and look at the hidef displays, or for that matter into the offices of a high end systems integrator that does happen to have a high end home theater display, you'll still see motion artifact ridden video (Blu-Ray sources and to a lesser extent, satellite sources being exceptions).

The enemy today seems to be bandwidth. Bandwidth represents money. The cable and satellite companies want to cram as much down the pipe as possible using as much compression as they can get away with. Likewise the OTA broadcasters steal bandwidth from their main digital channel so they can run community access, 24 hr weather or 50 yo grade B movies.

I could go on...

picnic

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 11:04:34 pm »

A number of people have received their GH1 from Panaonic.com just in the last week.  They were surprised to place and order and have it in their hands in a few days.
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electro...000000000005702

K.C.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 12:09:44 am »

Despite Michael's pessimism I think we'll find them readily available in the next few weeks.

SteveF

• http://www.finesart.com
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 05:32:57 pm »

I ordered one from Panasonic Direct last Tuesday. It arrived 6 days later.

I've been spending quite a bit of time reading up on video formats and the like.

One worthwhile update to the GH-1 review might be that Voltaic now with version 1.8.7 supports 24p output.

Another is that I thought the review implied that Final Cut Express would handle the ACVHD files. It does not. [EDIT - This  is a mistake - see two posts down.]

If using a Mac software you can use iMovie or Final Cut Studio, but not the intermediate (Express) program.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 08:01:11 am by SteveF »
Steve Fines
 www.finesart.com

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 07:37:26 am »

Quote from: SteveF
Another is that I thought the review implied that Final Cut Express would handle the ACVHD files. It does not.

If using a Mac software you can use iMovie or Final Cut Studio, but not the intermediate (Express) program.

Could this be a version issue? The Apple site specifically states that the latest Express does support AVCHD (on Intel MACs).
--
Robert

SteveF

• http://www.finesart.com
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 08:00:07 am »

Quote from: Robert Roaldi
Could this be a version issue? The Apple site specifically states that the latest Express does support AVCHD (on Intel MACs).

Holy Typos Batman.......

Reading what I wrote I must have been doing something else as the same time. My bad.

Final Cut Express DOES support AVCHD.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 10:36:56 pm by SteveF »
Steve Fines
 www.finesart.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up