Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D Mark II Automatic Sensor Cleaning  (Read 2854 times)

Chris Pollock

5D Mark II Automatic Sensor Cleaning
« on: August 01, 2009, 03:40:21 am »

I upgraded to a 5D Mark II from a 5D in December. I have it configured to do automatic sensor cleaning whenever the camera is turned off. I also manually clean the sensor from time to time. Unfortunately sensor dust seems to be just as big a problem as it was on the 5D, which has no ultrasonic sensor cleaning.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing? Is it likely that I have a defective camera? Any information would be appreciated.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 06:15:32 am »

Chris,

I made the same 5D > 5DII switch about 4 months ago and have noticed a big difference.  Two things:
1. I may have simply had a lot of dirt in my old 5D from so much outdoor use.  Manual cleaning just gave it a clean slate for other dust inside the box.  The newer 5DII just doesn't have that much use yet (1400 images) and hence not much dust in the box. Could be why I perceive mine to be so much better...
2. I configured my 5D to clean when I turn it on and off, not just when turned off. Shutter is obviously off in between shoots, but I wonder if dust lands on the shutter while yours is off laying around, then opening the shutter blows it around right onto the sensor.  Perhaps by cleaning when it is turned on, some of the ultrasonic energy is transferred to the shutter, in effect knocking it clean as well and hence less dust falling on the sensor when it opens.

Dave

stever

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 10:53:09 am »

i manually cleaned the sensor in the 5DII after about 1000 images to get rid of any manufacturing gunk.

recently returned from Tanzania where it was very dusty and i changed lenses oftener than i'd prefer.  did not notice any dust spots until a review of all images then found single spots on about three series of images which were cleaned by the camera at the next power cycle.  this was a vast improvement over my previous experience with the 5D in less dusty conditions

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:21:23 am »

Switch it to clean on power up and your problem should be solved
Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up