Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1DII L bracket: RRS vs Kirk?  (Read 3334 times)

walter.sk

1DII L bracket: RRS vs Kirk?
« on: July 31, 2009, 10:06:40 am »

I've finally decided to spring for an L-bracket, and both the Kirk and Really Right Stuff seem excellent.  Will both give me access to the cable release socket?  Is there any reason to prefer one to the other?

I just added this edit:

I discovered 2 articles on line where people found that both the Kirk and RRS brackets were fine in landscape but allowed blur, presumably from camera vibration, in the portrait positionh compared to not using a bracket but dropping the ballhead into the notch for portrait orientation.  Has anybody seen such softness in vertical position with your L-bracket?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:34:16 am by walter.sk »

francois

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 10:44:41 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
I've finally decided to spring for an L-bracket, and both the Kirk and Really Right Stuff seem excellent.  Will both give me access to the cable release socket?  Is there any reason to prefer one to the other?

I just added this edit:

I discovered 2 articles on line where people found that both the Kirk and RRS brackets were fine in landscape but allowed blur, presumably from camera vibration, in the portrait positionh compared to not using a bracket but dropping the ballhead into the notch for portrait orientation.  Has anybody seen such softness in vertical position with your L-bracket?
Walter,
I'm using RRS L-Plates with a 1DII and a 1DsIII. I also read articles about the slight softness in vertical shooting position. I tested and found that, at least for my setup, there was no softness. I got identical results in vertical or horizontal orientation.

I can't comment on the Kirk L-Plates but I remember that in one of these articles, it was found that framing would change with the Kirk plates when the camera was moved from horizontal to vertical and vice-versa.

Edit: I'm not sure if this is the original article... http://users.gsinet.net/pjwhite/rrs.htm
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 10:48:42 am by francois »
Francois

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:05:58 am »

"The RRS L-bracket features lens axis marks engraved on the horizontal and vertical mounting areas, while the Kirk L-bracket does not have similar markings."
http://www.robgreer.com/blog/2009/04/choos...ly-right-stuff/

Paul Sumi

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:27:57 am »

Quote from: francois
I'm using RRS L-Plates with a 1DII and a 1DsIII. I also read articles about the slight softness in vertical shooting position. I tested and found that, at least for my setup, there was no softness. I got identical results in vertical or horizontal orientation.

Really Right Stuff makes top-notch gear, and I find their customer service to be responsive and informative.  Since I live in California I can get next-day delivery by surface UPS.

I'm using RRS L brackets on my Canon 1D2, 1DS2 and G10.  Also no evidence of any image softness in portrait orientation.  The fact that the L bracket keeps the camera's mass centered over the tripod and not off-balanced to the side, plus I do not have to re-adjust the height of the tripod are huge advantages.

In the RRS L bracket you have to slightly re-orient the L bracket to access the cable release port.  Not a big deal IMO.  However, I rarely use a cable release opting to use mirror lockup plus 2 second self-timer.

marcmccalmont

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:28:15 am »

I have a Kirk for my AFD II and a RRS for my 5D2, The RRS is machined with more precision
Marc
Marc McCalmont

francois

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 11:52:24 am »

Quote from: PaulS
Really Right Stuff makes top-notch gear, and I find their customer service to be responsive and informative.  Since I live in California I can get next-day delivery by surface UPS.

I second what Paul said above.
I've had plates and L-bracketss for Canon 5D, 1D2, 1Ds3, Nikon D2, Sony, multiple lenses, clamps (screw, lever, pano) and BH-55 ball-heads and I couldn't be more pleased by the quality of the products and the very responsive, friendly and courteous customer service.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 11:53:53 am by francois »
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up