Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning 6x9 Transparencies with a Nikon  (Read 2388 times)

Scanning 6x9 Transparencies with a Nikon
« on: January 13, 2003, 05:06:52 am »

When I tested the 8000 I found it's film carrier to be its Achillies heal. A poor design. A glass carrier seems to be the only solution.

Michael

mhecker

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 12:55:42 pm »

I find the standard LS8000 film carrier works wonderfully if you use it properly.  My workflow follows.

(1)  Cut the film so it runs the length of the carrier with a tiny bit of overlap on the left and right.

(2) Insert the film and flip the upper clamp down to grab the top.

(3) Using linen gloves press down so the bottom of the film overlaps the bottom carrier region.

(4) Loosen the bottom clamp screws slightly so the bottom clamp moves up and down.

(5) Close the bottom clamp so it grabs the film and lock it.

(6) Pull down slightly on the bottom clamp to tension the film and flatten it.

(7) Tighten the locking screws so the film stays flat.

(8) Zap the film with an electrostatic antistatic gun if you have one and blow the dust off with canned air.

(9) Insert the carrier and scan with software of your choice.

I get scans from 6x9 trannies that make gorgeous 30"x40" prints from this scanner.

If you can't master this, I guess you can buy the glass carrier from Nikon.  The glass will degrade the scan some as you might guess.

Dr. Gary

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2003, 11:47:08 pm »

I have been trying to scan some 6x9 transparencies on my Nikon 8000 ED. I have trouble keeping the negative flat in the scanner and consequently have out of focus "blur" areas on my scanned image. Does anyone have any ideas about how to either
1) flatten my film so as to reectify the problem or
2) mount my film in the holder such that the problem is no longer a problem.

Thanks!

dr. Gary

Dr. Gary

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2003, 11:47:21 am »

Are there any glass carriers available for the Nikon 8000 ED?

Dr. Gary

b2martin

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2003, 12:58:01 pm »

There are two glass carriers for scanning medium format film with the Nikon 8000.  The FH-869G is a strip carrier (Approximately $240), and another one that allows rotating the film a few degrees.  I don't have information on the second carrier.  There is also a Nikon 8000 users group that you might want to join.  

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coolscan8000/

This group discusses problems relative to scanning with the Nikon 8000.  I think they can answer your questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up