Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Raw 5.2 & PS C3 & PSE6  (Read 5737 times)

rlh1138

Camera Raw 5.2 & PS C3 & PSE6
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:08:45 am »

I'd like to keep up with the new CR - but the Adobe page warns about using it with C3 (or earlier) or anything earlier than PSE6.  So.. I have PSE 6, with which I could use it, and PS C3, with which I cannot. So.. I'm afraid to download and install it 'cause I'll mess up my current Camera Raw that works with C3, or at least that's my fear.  Anybody know for sure what I can or cannot do in this situation?  I guess I want to have both Camera Raws installed so that C3 uses my current one (4.6) and when I run PSE6 it uses the 5.2.

Thoughts?  Advise?

Thanks,

Ray

KeithR

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:34:38 am »

The latest version of ACR 5.X is only compatable with CS4 and Elements 7.
From the Adobe download site:
Camera Raw 5.4 update
June 24, 2009
This new version of the Camera Raw plug-in replaces the original one that was installed with Adobe® Photoshop® CS4; Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0; and Adobe Premiere® Elements 7.0 software.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

rlh1138

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:07:04 pm »

Quote from: KeithR
The latest version of ACR 5.X is only compatable with CS4 and Elements 7.
From the Adobe download site:
Camera Raw 5.4 update
June 24, 2009
This new version of the Camera Raw plug-in replaces the original one that was installed with Adobe® Photoshop® CS4; Adobe Photoshop Elements 7.0; and Adobe Premiere® Elements 7.0 software.

Keith,

Thx, I was looking at 5.2 - I'll check out 5.4, didn't know that was out yet.  I'd still like to use 5.2 however, if possible under the conditions I stated.

Ray

OK, I'm back from the 5.4 page, where I read:

'The Camera Raw 5.4 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS4, versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 6.0, or versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 4.0. '

That's what it said for 5.2, and the quote I used in my original query.  I'm reading that to mean I can use this verison with my PSE6 (but not with my PS C3).  So... back to my question.... does anyone have any experience/knowledge about having two versions of Camera Raw installed at once - I'm thinking the plugin could be in different folders, etc.  Maybe I'll download 5.4 and just do some experimenting.

Ray
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:15:57 pm by rlh1138 »

jpegman

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 03:13:30 pm »

Quote from: rlh1138
Keith,

Thx, I was looking at 5.2 - I'll check out 5.4, didn't know that was out yet.  I'd still like to use 5.2 however, if possible under the conditions I stated.

Ray

OK, I'm back from the 5.4 page, where I read:

'The Camera Raw 5.4 plug-in is not compatible with versions of Photoshop earlier than Photoshop CS4, versions of Photoshop Elements earlier than Photoshop Elements 6.0, or versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 4.0. '

That's what it said for 5.2, and the quote I used in my original query.  I'm reading that to mean I can use this verison with my PSE6 (but not with my PS C3).  So... back to my question.... does anyone have any experience/knowledge about having two versions of Camera Raw installed at once - I'm thinking the plugin could be in different folders, etc.  Maybe I'll download 5.4 and just do some experimenting.

Ray

Ray

You are correct - they go in different folders for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements, so they will work correctly. When you download the files from Adobe, grab a copy of the readme file and it will tell you where to install what. Alternatively, you should be able to download and install the latest ACR for Photoshop directly from within Photoshop via the update function which will download and install the latest correct version for your CS3 automatically. In any event, if thing get screwed up, Adobe provides the "latest" older versions of camera raw on their website download page so you could easily reinstall them if needed.

Jpegman

KeithR

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 03:24:42 pm »

I found this on the Adobe site:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407456.html
It is for a Mac but it may be what your looking for. For windows, it's a matter of the correct file location to put it in(for PS6).
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up