Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toronto - what to shoot?  (Read 8759 times)

JJP

Toronto - what to shoot?
« on: February 26, 2005, 05:56:01 am »

If you like to photograph architecture, then I'd suggest Union Station inside and out.  And take a walk on the lakeshore, lots of areas with "winterized" sailboat scenes, parks etc...
jj
JJ

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 11:39:37 am »

** I need to buy a Canon ring flash beforehand. What suitable Camera stores are good along my travels Thursday or Friday?
Bob:  Vistek is probably the biggest camera store in Toronto:
http://www.vistek.ca  Their store location is listed on their website.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2005, 04:11:42 pm »

Even though you're already going, I'd highly second the butterfly conservatory.  I paid it a visit while visiting Niagra with my fiancee and it was well worth it on a cold winter's day.
The first time we were there was three days after it opened.  Construction wasn't even finished yet.  We were inside the conservatory for 3 1/2 hours.  They kicked us out because they were closing...

Mike.

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 08:03:13 am »

Folks, sadly I made a descision to not make the trip. Whatever malady I came down with is getting worse not better. Time to go to the doctor. Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll probably do this trip in the Spring.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

boku

Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 07:13:48 pm »

Next weekend (Friday/Saturday) I will be in the Toronto area (following the Pikto Bangladesh show opening). I'm looking for some suggestions for unique photography sites. I have early mornings and late afternoons and evenings available.

I welcome suggestions for graphic street scenes, industrial ruins, cityscape vantages, and accessible nature/landscape. I am driving home through QEW & I-90 (NY/PA), so anything along the way qualifies as well.

I know many of you are natives, so give a well-meaning visitor a clue. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Stef_T

Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 09:00:27 pm »

You might want to consider stopping off in Niagra Falls on the way there or back. others can probably give you more detailed information about what exactly is there (Mr. Reichman mentioned an insect/betterfly habitat) and of course there are the falls and the vineyards.

As for the city, I'm afraid I can't really help you, even though I live here, I don't venture there all too often. Haven't been to the islands in years. I remeber the Leslie Spit area, that is an interesting place, though I must admit I haven't been there in ages as well.

Hope you enjoy T.O in any case, perhaps I'll even get a chance to bug you in person.

Stefan

katemann

Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 07:08:16 am »

I second the suggestion that you take the ferry to the Island. This time of year there is only one ferry, which goes to Ward's Island. There is an interesting community of Wards and neighbouring Algonquin Islands. Walking around the narrow streets can be entertaining. You can walk for about 5 miles along the lake shore, and pretty much have the place to yourself, or you can take advantage of the harbour side to look at the city from a distance. Depending on the weather, that can be quite lovely. Try dawn. The first boat leaves the city at 6:30 (later on Sunday).

There is some spectacular modern architecture in the area just north of the ferry docks at Front and Bay, as well as the old train station. Some interesting juxtaposition.

The Zoo is spectacular.

Have a great time in Toronto - it's a terrific city.

boku

Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 11:11:05 am »

Many thanks for these ideas. Feel free to keep them rolling. My concept, thus far, is probably too ambitious (I get tired just thinking about it)...

THURSDAY - Some afternoon architecture in the streets around the Distillery district just to get my bearings. Pikto Gallery after dinner.

FRIDAY - Early morning ferry to Ward's Island. Lunch with you folks at Michael's Chinese hangout. Afternoon walk along the habourfront gravitating toward downtown street scenes.

SATURDAY - Toronto Brickworks* in the morning, Niagra Butterfly Conservatory** on the way home in the afternoon.

SUNDAY - warm up*** by the fireplace at home.

* I sure would like to know how to get inside, since this appears to take some time to figure out.

** I need to buy a Canon ring flash beforehand. What suitable Camera stores are good along my travels Thursday or Friday?

*** The Weather channel predicts highs of 18 degrees F the whole time I am attempting this.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 11:49:39 am »

Vistek:
Canon MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite
$749.00  (Canadian $) - approx. $605 U.S

B&H Photo (NY):
Mfr # 2356A002 • B&H # CAMR14EX
MR-14EX TTL Ring Lite Flash (Guide No. 46'/14 m) MR-14EX TTL Ring Lite Flash         
Price : $ 449.95 U.S. - approx. $558 Canadian

I'd love to encourage you to buy in Canada, but that is a bit of a price difference!

Mike.

Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 02:24:15 pm »

Bob,

Unfortunately the Brickworks interior is now closed up tighter than a drum. The site has been taken over by a group that is going to be rehabilitating it.

I'll tell you more about it when I see you.

Michael

blowery

• http://www.blowery.org/
Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 05:50:40 pm »

Even though you're already going, I'd highly second the butterfly conservatory.  I paid it a visit while visiting Niagra with my fiancee and it was well worth it on a cold winter's day.

boku

Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2005, 04:49:28 pm »

The first time we were there was three days after it opened.  Construction wasn't even finished yet.  We were inside the conservatory for 3 1/2 hours.  They kicked us out because they were closing...

Mike.
That is probably the one place that I am 100% certain of making. Yesterday, I came down with something and I'm freezing. Looks like the weather the whole time will be snowy, cold, windy, and overcast. I have no problem seeking indoor venue unless I make a decided turn for the better. Hopefully, that will be - I think I got food poisoning yesterday: Mexican Produce.

I would so love to do the ring flash for this venue, but at the Canadian prices, I'm not going to go there. Do they allow tripods? One of the indoor botanical preserves in Cleveland prohibits tripods (???). I know I can't hand hold that 100 macro and do anything worthwhile. Hopefully tripos aren't contraband.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

blowery

• http://www.blowery.org/
Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2005, 07:37:54 am »

You might also look around and see if you can rent a ring flash for the few days you're there.  It would save you the high canadian prices and allow you to get the shots you want.  That said, you wouldn't have a nice new piece of gear to take back with you as a souvenier, but it's something to consider.

I don't recall the policy on tripods in the conservatory, though I would bet they are contraband.  The pathways are pretty narrow and there are a fair number of people milling around in there.  Does someone else recall for sure?  When I went, I only had a little Canon S110, so it wasn't really an issue.  If only I knew then what I know now.  :)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2005, 08:45:27 am »

Bob,

Wish you a speedy recovery - I know food poisoning - no fun. Sorry you can't make it - would have been good to meet you. The flip side is that we have heaps of snow on the ground here and it is VERY cold, so while there may not be a show of Michael's wonderful images in Spring, at least you'll have more pleasant weather!

Cheers,

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

DaveW

Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 08:30:26 pm »

Hmm let me think. Well, the area right around Pikto (the Distillery district) is rather interesting.    The downtown area is not far away, you can get a nice vantage point of the city core by going across to the Toronto islands (you get there by short ferry ride).  The docks area is interesting as well.  

The Don Valley (a glacial river valley that runs north/south through the city) is a very photogenic area too, contains the old Toronto Brickworks is in the valley.  
The Kensington market area (a bit west of downtown) can be alot of fun to photograph as well - its a large 'ethnic' market area - lots of small shops.

The St Lawrence market is a very large indoor market - busy place on a Saturday, might be worth a try too - bring something that handles relatively low availible light well.

All these areas are fairly close to downtown, the only downside this time of year being the fairly grey dreary weather.   I'm not sure how 'unique' my suggestions are, but I think they are general enough to allow many unique opportunities.     Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip here.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2005, 12:26:21 pm »

What's that about dull, grey light. We had a couple of inches of snow last night and it cleared up this AM. It's so brilliant outside that you need sunglasses.

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 04:25:22 pm »

Substitute the Zoo for the brickworks. The polar bears are active at this time of year
Ken

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 06:53:57 pm »

Bob,

I am also a Torontonian, going to the lunch at Dynasty, and hope to meet you there. If you have food poisoning, consider seeing a doctor. I keep a prescription (Zithromax in case of bacterial infection) for emergency use in such situations (I've been traveling to Asia and Africa for other kind of professional work).

Back to the main subject- when you are traveling along the QEW you reach a place called Burlington Ontario where there is a steel mill. Depending on the time of day and the direction of the lighting, there can be dramatic industrial shots of smoke and smoke stacks against very stark backgrounds. You would need to get off the QEW, use a telephoto from the service road, or drive closer to the place. I haven't done this yet myself, but I intend to one of these days - at about 6AM when it is most dramatic.

In Toronto, if your into photographing veggies and street scenes, the streets that have open-air Chinese vegetable markets are colourful and photogenic. This would be blocks of Dundas, Spadina and Gerrard. Day and night. The Dundas/Spadina area is also where Kensington market is located and as others have said, there could be some neat photo ops there too.

Some of the major downtown glass boxes, depending on the time of day and weather, have interesting reflections and lighting because of their non-neutral tints. This subject may be a bit hackneyed, but who knows, there is always a different angle - worth watching for if you have camera in hand.

Shopping photogear in Toronto isn't that great an idea - others haven't mentioned yet - I'm surprised - apart from the higher prices, we also have higher sales taxes. You pay a federal "Goods and Service" Tax of 7% plus Provincial sales tax of 8%. I think you can claim it all back at the border, but you need paperwork and it is a hassle.

Hope you make here in good health.

Regards

Mark
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

bvogan

Toronto - what to shoot?
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2005, 12:33:04 pm »

If you are going to be walking around downtown looking for architectural shots then you have to visit BCE place.  It's on the NE corner of Yonge and King street (on your way downtown from the distillery district).  The ground floor is very interesting as the building was build on top of a historical site (old chamber of commerce) and the old building is integrated right into the wall.  The cieling is also quite striking.

Another big camera shop in the area is Henry's (www.henrys.com) at 69 Queen St. East (Queen & Church street).

--Ben
Pages: [1]   Go Up