Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thought about selling my 1Ds mark III...story inside  (Read 18199 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Thought about selling my 1Ds mark III...story inside
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 05:29:35 pm »

How do you fit Nikon W/A lenses on the Canon mount?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Lester

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 06:03:34 pm »

Quote from: eronald
Lester, why don't you make somene here very happy and resell that D3x? I mean that literally, if you don't use it.

Edmund

Edmund, the reason I will not sell the D3x is because, it works with my Nikon 8mm f/2.8 lens, which is a fisheye and it will not work with a adapter on the Canon, it does but the edge is out of focus. With the D3x, it is sharp at f/11 all the way to the edge. It sound stupid but I had that Nikon 8mm for over 30+ years and it is sharp.

MarkDS, just go to ebay and you could get a Nikon adapter for the Canon camera, cheap. To me, I think that Nikon wide angle lenses are sharper then the Canon

I am a old fart, over 60

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 06:07:40 pm »

Thanks for the tip Lester.

Lester

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 11:41:10 pm »

Quote from: MarkDS
Thanks for the tip Lester.

MarkDS, one of my favorite Nikon lens is the 17mm-35mm f/2.8D zoom, that lens is much sharper at the edge then the Canon 17mm-35mm f/2.8L or the 16mm-35mm f/2.8L. I do have all 3 and I know, from my test. Even the manual Nikon lens are sharper then the Canon newer auto lenses. But after 35mm, everything is about the same.
I am a old fart, over 60

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 07:36:31 am »

Do you know how the Nikon 17-35 compares with the Canon f/4 L 17~40 mm lens? That's the one I have, and I must say that the edge sharpness is NOT at all impressive, but about 3/4 or more of the image area is very well defined.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 08:51:56 am »

Do you know how the Nikon 17-35 compares with the Canon f/4 L 17~40 mm lens? That's the one I have, and I must say that the edge sharpness is NOT at all impressive, but about 3/4 or more of the image area is very well defined.

I did this test a long time ago, Canon 16-35, 17-40, Nikon 17-35 and a Sigma 15-30 on  1DsMKII body.

http://www.pbase.com/infocusinc/wide_zoom_test
Craig Lamson Photo

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 09:41:34 am »

Thanks, I had a look at that. I think it's non-determinative from what I can see on my display. This is not a comment on your testing, but rather about the technological limits of what one can judge from an on-display JPEG at monitor resolution when it comes to rather fine differences between one lens or the other. I think the best way of detecting differences at this level is to buy lenses from a dealer who takes back what we don't like, and do our own carefully controlled tests like you did, print them at the largest size we would normally print and keep the lens we like best. This also deals with sample variability which can be quite substantial.

Lester

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 11:49:15 am »

I do not have the Canon f/4, but my Nikon 17-35 f/2.8D is very sharp at 17mm, when I blow it up to 1:1 the edge hold up and is sharp. It is a different world, compare to the Canon.  It is a older lenses and you could get it at a good buy from ebay. Just make sure that when you buy, go threw paypal. I have over 200+ transaction and I only have one problem and paypal take care of it.
I am a old fart, over 60

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 11:52:16 am »

I'd never buy a lens on eBay unless the seller is prepared to take it back if I'm not fully satisfied with it. Your experience may be very good doing this, but it can be risky.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 05:18:12 pm »

Thanks, I had a look at that. I think it's non-determinative from what I can see on my display. This is not a comment on your testing, but rather about the technological limits of what one can judge from an on-display JPEG at monitor resolution when it comes to rather fine differences between one lens or the other. I think the best way of detecting differences at this level is to buy lenses from a dealer who takes back what we don't like, and do our own carefully controlled tests like you did, print them at the largest size we would normally print and keep the lens we like best. This also deals with sample variability which can be quite substantial.

The full rez files were very close, throw a blanket over them all.  I kept the 17-40, which I use mostly at 17 and stopped down to f10-f14.  My biggest concern was edge ca, which is nicely fixed by both PTLens and Capture One 4.  I l also have a very nice copy of the Sigma12-24 which I use a bunch at 12-17mm and its very sharp.

My needs have changed but if I was still shooting lots of small space interiors I would get the Canon 17 TS in a heartbeat.

All that said, I'm really quite happy with the 17-40.....

Craig Lamson Photo

nsnowlin

• http://www.stunowlinimaging.com
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2009, 09:49:16 am »

I have the 1Ds3 (& 1D3) that I use for weddings and outdoor, off-road motor sports.  I've also used the 5D2, which I like and which delivers IQ very much like the 1Ds3, as one would expect given that the chip is essentially the same.  However, reliability is of extreme importance to me so I have not purchased the 5D2.  The cost is really not an issue since I depreciate that anyway.  The 1D series have never let me down even in absolutely extreme conditions and hard knocks (ever have your camera hit by an airborne motorcycle?)  I think the 1Ds3 is one of Canon's engineering triumphs.

Stu

Professional

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2009, 05:02:41 am »

I love my 1DsIII very much, once i bought it i didn't use my 5D 1 and 1DsII, even my 1DIII has been used for sports only, the only time i don't use 1DsIII is when i bought H3DII-39, with all that i will never look at 5D mkII, it will not impress me over 1DsIII or H3DII for sure.

Jim2

• http://
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2009, 10:50:22 am »

I have 1ds3 here and 5d2 doesn't tempt me at all. When 1ds4 comes around and if it has significant advantage over 1ds3 (which I am sure it would - otherwise who would upgrade?) then I'd get 1ds4 keeping 1ds3 as a backup. Video feature which I am sure will be in 1ds4 will not matter to me though. It needs to have better sensor / IQ etc to appeal as a worthwhile upgrade.

Enjoy your 1ds3

Ken R

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 10:17:16 am »

Hi, I am still enjoying my 1Ds 3!

I too wonder about the 1Ds 4, wow, judging from the 7D it probably will be amazing.

Regarding the 7D, I am getting one, mainly for the video capabilities. More are more the line between stills and video is being blurred. Recently I shot a job that required some video of a hand infront of a green screen for some post-production work (there were some still product shots required too that were going to be composited later on). I had to rent a HD camera! ($500 for a camera package for one day). I am positive that with a 7D and my Canon lenses I could have done the job perfectly. (manual exposure control is critical since consistency is key)

I just sold my 5D mk1 and am waiting for the 7D to be in stock to order it. It will also serve as my back-up camera and my main travel camera. Makes much more sense than a 5D mk2 since the 7D has more video capabilities, better weatherproofing and much much better AF.

I doubt the 7D will match the 1Ds mk3 in image quality but it should be close enough, at least in low iso settings.

pschefz

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 07:51:06 pm »

all i am interested in is image quality....so after getting the 5DII, i sold the 1dsIII as fast as possible....the 1ds has much better af, the body is weatherproof and all that....the 5DII is much smaller, lighter....and it has much better high iso and (most important for me) the DR at higher iso is in a different league.....i would say the 5DII has an extra 1.5 stops at 800iso....and less noise......i don't see either one having more detail at 100 and i do miss the larger finder of the ds....but like i said, i am interested in image quality so the 5DII wins for me...the video is purely extra....i could not care less what "professionals" use...i have the grip but actually almost never use it....not sure why i should make the camera bigger and heavier then necessary....
schefz.com
artloch.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 07:56:53 pm »

Quote from: pschefz
and it has much better high iso and (most important for me) the DR at higher iso is in a different league.....i would say the 5DII has an extra 1.5 stops at 800iso....

Have you done actual comparisons and printed them? Anything you can post to show the difference between these two cameras in this respect?

Jim2

• http://
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 07:59:48 pm »

all i am interested in is image quality....so after getting the 5DII, i sold the 1dsIII as fast as possible....the 1ds has much better af, the body is weatherproof and all that....the 5DII is much smaller, lighter....and it has much better high iso and (most important for me) the DR at higher iso is in a different league.....i would say the 5DII has an extra 1.5 stops at 800iso....and less noise......i don't see either one having more detail at 100 and i do miss the larger finder of the ds....but like i said, i am interested in image quality so the 5DII wins for me...the video is purely extra....i could not care less what "professionals" use...i have the grip but actually almost never use it....not sure why i should make the camera bigger and heavier then necessary....
I love 1ds3 because of its battery life as I take it hiking all day, even though for landscape photography I only take very very few shots, less than 20 most of the time.So I don't mind that little bit of extra weight. Plus it's actually handy to have a heavy camera on tripod, I think?  I feel comfortable with rains and snow. One night I got caught in the rain and the camera was pcouldn't careerfectly fine. I do have a rain proof camera bag as well as the good ol plastic bags  I only shoot using iso 100 so I am not concerned about performance of iso's > 400. So yeah... I guess it depends on each individual and what they use their camera for. I am just curious to see what's in the bag for 1ds4. If it makes my life easier then it's worth the upgrade

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009, 08:05:17 pm »

I like the 5d2, it shoots a great still, pretty good video, etc. etc.  I don't notice the viewfinder that much, but I completely love the 1ds3's.  The focus on the 3's  could be a little better, past 800 iso is a challange, though up to 640 I see no difference between that and 200 iso.

I think the 1ds3 produces amazing skintones, which is really the reason I keep them and since owning them I've shot about 50 medium format frames, 50 billion 1ds3 frames.  It's that good, imo.

When the 5d2 came out I thought about selingl both of my 3's but at this point they're not going for that much used and they tether well with eos utility, so I thought I'd just keep them.

I guess in a way I could just carry 5d2's and be done with it but the 1d3's are paid for I know all the buttons and switches and I only use my 5d2 for video anyway, so  . . . today I'll keep them.

JR
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:06:50 pm by James R Russell »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up