Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some of my squares  (Read 4982 times)

cmi

Some of my squares
« on: July 21, 2009, 03:16:28 pm »

PhillyPhotographers images, specifically the square form, reminded me of some of my own work wich I want to show now. (I dont want to compare myself with him, that is not my point, he is obviously much better.) In any way, here are three images. What do you think?

Christian
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:28:39 pm by cmi »

button

• http://
Some of my squares
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 04:00:22 pm »

2)  I like the repetition of form with the car rooves.  I don't like the amount of negative space in the center 1/3 of the shot because it carries too much weight for me.

3)  My farovite.  My eye travels from top left, down the delapidation, then along the dominant white horizontal at the bottom, taking a pit stop at the debris.  Then it moves up the right of the shot, stopping at the window outlines.  Well done.

1)  I'm still thinking about this one.

John

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Some of my squares
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 05:08:08 pm »

Christian, I agree with John on all counts, except I've had time to look carefully at #1 and I like it. I guess I'd have raised the gamma just a trifle, though not enough to lose the foggy effect.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Some of my squares
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 05:36:49 pm »

I like the first one too, but the wire right smack in the corner of the frame bothers me.  Kinda makes the inside of my elbow itch.

John Shaw rants about "merges" like this.  Normally they don't bother me much, but this one does.  Perhaps because there's so much white space around it.

I really like the last one.

Dave

cmi

Some of my squares
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:10:42 pm »

Thanks for your input!

For #1, I dont think I like brighter versions, the atmosphere goes away, its no longer what I want to achieve: A grey, somehow depressing look unlike of the real scene. (It WAS foggy this day btw.) But the crop was really not the best... I must say I chuckled at this elbow itching analogy  I attach 2 new versions of #1, one with an even more muted sky, and one with more gamma. I'd be interested wich version you prefer.

Regarding #2, the argument of too much black in the middle has something to it.

And of course Im glad you all seem to like #3, its the most conscious try of them all.

Christian
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:28:52 pm by cmi »

shutterpup

Some of my squares
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 05:54:53 pm »

Am I the only one bothered by the twigs in the upper right corner on #1? Otherwise, I like #1 and I think #3 is the best.

cmi

Some of my squares
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 11:51:55 am »

Quote from: shutterpup
Am I the only one bothered by the twigs in the upper right corner on #1? Otherwise, I like #1 and I think #3 is the best.

I was bothered by them a bit too, but while I think there could be a bit more of them into the picture, or maybe none at all, I do think its secondary.

shutterpup

Some of my squares
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 03:23:24 pm »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
I was bothered by them a bit too, but while I think there could be a bit more of them into the picture, or maybe none at all, I do think its secondary.

Christian,
That's fine. I'm just coming from a place where a family member is always quick to point out such strays in my photos. I know from personal experience that sometimes, because you're limited on where you can stand to get the picture you want, you get the strays.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Some of my squares
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 03:55:20 pm »

I like the new crop of the first image, not entirely sure which processing approach I like best there as they each have their strengths.

In the second shot I like the repetition at the bottom of the frame, but there's just too much empty, featureless black in the middle of the frame. If you could have found a perspective to minimize that (or maybe an exposure to allow at least a little detail in there), I think it would be a stronger image.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

button

• http://
Some of my squares
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 04:12:16 pm »

I thought they were put there on purpose, and they create an unusual, somewhat eerie framing effect.  I like 'em!

John

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Some of my squares
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 04:17:18 pm »

Quote from: button
I thought they were put there on purpose, and they create an unusual, somewhat eerie framing effect.  I like 'em!

John

John, I agree, but I wish there were more of them.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

cmi

Some of my squares
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 04:41:28 pm »

Thank you all for your answers.

Regarding #1, I came to the conclusion that both processings are ok, but that I like the darker (right from the beginning) more. With the twigs, I also do think they should show more. (I was shooting this out of a moving car, combine this with the square view and the wire, so I had little opportunity to influence that.) I probably will try to clone it out and see if thats better. But what was most important for me here, I was curious to know if that shot works at all for other people, with that dark mood.

With #2, there is no way to change it, it was an experiment anyway. Im glad I did it because with it I discovered that I can abstract with exposure. The effect surprised me, it was an accidental underexposure wich I thought was totally lost until I gave it a +2 EV. Somehow its always when I experiment, or do errors that I discover something interesting

Christian
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 07:50:41 pm by Christian Miersch »

DarkPenguin

Some of my squares
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 11:54:13 pm »

I like the first image.  Has a mood.  Clone out the dust spot.

cmi

Some of my squares
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 05:56:23 am »

Quote from: DarkPenguin
I like the first image.  Has a mood.  Clone out the dust spot.

Thanks! I found three more.

I attach another version of #3 wich I like better. What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 04:29:02 pm by cmi »

usathyan

• http://www.umeshbhatt.com/
Some of my squares
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 09:26:58 am »

I think you will have stop comparing yourself to others. You are good on your own.

I like #2 the best of the bunch...although the negative space in between the cars and the buildings is a bit distracting (If i had to do this - i would have possibly made the buildings darker to fade into the darkness)
--------------
Umesh Bhatt [url=http://w

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Some of my squares
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 12:48:07 pm »

Thanks! I found three more.

I attach another version of #3 wich I like better. What do you think?
I like the additional local contrast and texture in this version. (But I'm a contrast junkie when it comes to B/W).
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Some of my squares
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 12:59:48 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
I like the additional local contrast and texture in this version. (But I'm a contrast junkie when it comes to B/W).

I was originally going to say I liked the first version, but after opening both and comparing side by side, I like the second one better.  One thing that I like is the reflection in the window.  Interesting with the different frames and separations in the trunk reflections.

Might have been worth experimenting with shots of just the window.

Dave

cmi

Some of my squares
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 02:43:26 pm »

Quote from: shutterpup
Christian,
That's fine. I'm just coming from a place where a family member is always quick to point out such strays in my photos. I know from personal experience that sometimes, because you're limited on where you can stand to get the picture you want, you get the strays.

Shutterpup, overlooked your answer. In the latest version the twigs are out

cmi

Some of my squares
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 02:57:22 pm »

Quote from: usathyan
I think you will have stop comparing yourself to others. You are good on your own.

I like #2 the best of the bunch...although the negative space in between the cars and the buildings is a bit distracting (If i had to do this - i would have possibly made the buildings darker to fade into the darkness)

Thanks for that ^^ Yeah I recon Im at times too unsure about my work.

About #2, I have no reserve in the file to let detail appear in the dark parts, which is what you mean I suppose. Played with it a bit again...

===

Jeff and Dave, thanks for the feedback.

The first version was too dull at the end. Its just a new white- and blackpoint set, plus the shadows pushed up a bit, exactly to bring out the details in the shadows like the window reflection. Maybe I will indeed reshoot some more details, its not far away from me.

Cheers,

Christian
Pages: [1]   Go Up