Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good pro camera store in Chicago  (Read 4792 times)

Ed Blagden

Good pro camera store in Chicago
« on: July 21, 2009, 04:52:20 am »

Hi,

I live in Nairobi, Kenya, and we are short of good photography gear stores here.  Also importing through B&H etc is a major hassle due to our obdurate customs officials here.

So, I am going to Chicago IL for some meetings in August and will have half a free day, down-town.  Can anyone recommend a good photography store in downtown Chicago?  I won't have time to window-shop.  I'm looking to buy a couple of lenses (maybe a EF 300mm f/4L), a grip for my 5D, and some other toys.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!

Ed

bjanes

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:44:01 am »

Quote from: Ed B
Hi,

I live in Nairobi, Kenya, and we are short of good photography gear stores here.  Also importing through B&H etc is a major hassle due to our obdurate customs officials here.

So, I am going to Chicago IL for some meetings in August and will have half a free day, down-town.  Can anyone recommend a good photography store in downtown Chicago?  I won't have time to window-shop.  I'm looking to buy a couple of lenses (maybe a EF 300mm f/4L), a grip for my 5D, and some other toys.

I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks!

Ed

Ed,

You might consider these stores. Central camera is in the south loop area, while Helix and Calumet would require a cab. What do you mean by "downtown"? Chicago is a fairly big place. Good luck in your shopping. BTW, sales tax is high in Chicago (10%).

Central Camera

Helix

Calumet

Bill

Ed Blagden

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 10:41:39 am »

Bill

Many thanks... I think I will give central camera a try.  I have no idea what I mean by "downtown": I just know that the meeting I am going to will be there!  I have only been to Chicago once before, for less than a day.  Looking forward to walking around with my camera in the summer and taking some shots of the city.

Ed

jcote

• http://www.johncotephotography.com
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 12:57:25 pm »

Ed,

Actually Helix is pretty close to downtown Chicago too. It is a very short cab ride. The main Calumet store, which I really like too is way out in the Western Suburbs but the folks there are knowledgeable and very helpful if you end up out there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up