Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double exposure on Canon 5D  (Read 14993 times)

Ed Blagden

Double exposure on Canon 5D
« on: July 14, 2009, 08:06:57 am »

Apologies if this has already been asked, and yes I did look at the manual, but is it possible to make multiple exposures on a Canon 5D?  John R has posted some good images on the critique forum using this technique using his Pentax digital, and I would like to experiment with this technique too.  Can anyone here help?

francois

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:20:21 am »

Quote from: Ed B
Apologies if this has already been asked, and yes I did look at the manual, but is it possible to make multiple exposures on a Canon 5D?  John R has posted some good images on the critique forum using this technique using his Pentax digital, and I would like to experiment with this technique too.  Can anyone here help?
I don't think that it's possible.

I googled and found another discussion ( http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00ThFH ), but it seems to confirm that the Canon 5D Mark II cannot do double-exposures.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 08:21:53 am by francois »
Francois

Chris Pollock

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 04:09:00 am »

Is there a reason why you don't want to combine the photographs on your computer? That would achieve the same result as a double exposure, but with much more control over the result.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 08:52:41 am »

The only time I got a DSLR to make a double exposure was shooting in low light with a slow shutter speed and the AF on. The AF wasn't able to lock on well and hence I got a double exposure.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 09:44:39 am »

Quote from: JohnBrew
The only time I got a DSLR to make a double exposure was shooting in low light with a slow shutter speed and the AF on. The AF wasn't able to lock on well and hence I got a double exposure.
That's a neat image! The moral is: Never throw away accidental rejects. 
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

kernix

• http://www.jfk-photo.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:38:05 pm »

That's the problem with digital - you can't do mult exposures, but have to resort to digital manipulation. I won't do that. I'm fine with levels\curves adjustments, and maybe unsharp-mask but bringing two shots together to make one is more like graphic design than photography. Don't mean to offend anyone, just my opinion. Luckily, I still have like 10 rolls of slide film so that I can shoot some mults\abstracts in the next couple of months.
James Kernicky
JFK-Photo

Clearair

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 06:05:22 pm »

Quote from: kernix
That's the problem with digital - you can't do mult exposures, but have to resort to digital manipulation. I won't do that. I'm fine with levels\curves adjustments, and maybe unsharp-mask but bringing two shots together to make one is more like graphic design than photography. Don't mean to offend anyone, just my opinion. Luckily, I still have like 10 rolls of slide film so that I can shoot some mults\abstracts in the next couple of months.

No offence taken.
Digital manipulation is just a technological evolution of what always happened in even straight???? photography............

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 06:39:40 pm »

Well, there's obviously no real point in an argument about this. However, I don't understand why you think that doing double exposure blind in camera using film is preferable to doing it in view on a computer. Why is "digital manipulation" obviously bad, when "film manipulation" is good?

Jeremy

canmiya

• beyond stills
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 07:07:35 pm »

nikon has had a multiple exposure feature in its digital cameras for quite some time...

Ed Blagden

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 05:00:28 am »

Thanks for the advice and comments.  Reason I can't do it digitally is I don't have photoshop, only Lightroom.  

I did try a kludge by taking a long exposure and slowly defocussing during the exposure - see the result over at User Critiques - but to be honest it didn't really work.

I guess I will have to get photoshop.  Seems like a very big sledgehammer to crack a very small nut.

teo.karp

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 06:32:45 am »

Thanks for the advice and comments.  Reason I can't do it digitally is I don't have photoshop, only Lightroom.  

I guess I will have to get photoshop.  Seems like a very big sledgehammer to crack a very small nut.
you can probably do it using photomatix or other similar programs http://www.hdrsoft.com/

lensfactory

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 09:50:42 pm »

The Panasonic Lumix LX3 allows you to do up to 3 multi exposures. It overlays the previous exposure allowing for better composition. It shoots RAW as well.
A feature I love!
Pages: [1]   Go Up