Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson Printers?  (Read 6106 times)

WilliamBriggs

New Epson Printers?
« on: July 10, 2009, 02:31:22 pm »

Is anyone privy to Epson releasing yet another version of 4000 printers the current one being the 4880.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
New Epson Printers?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 04:28:59 pm »

Quote from: WilliamBriggs
Is anyone privy to Epson releasing...

Yes but anybody who knows can't say and anybody who says can't know (or is breaking an NDA so is somebody I wouldn't trust with the truth).

Scott Martin

• Onsight
New Epson Printers?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 07:04:57 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Yes but anybody who knows can't say and anybody who says can't know (or is breaking an NDA so is somebody I wouldn't trust with the truth).
There are the occasional exceptions to that rule...
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

enduser

New Epson Printers?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 03:52:03 am »

A third type is those who claim to know and can't say, and don't know anyway.

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
New Epson Printers?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 04:31:05 am »

Quote from: enduser
A third type is those who claim to know and can't say, and don't know anyway.

and the silent majority- dont know -and wisely dont say anything, but look on with nterest as they want one too!
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
New Epson Printers?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 07:04:56 am »

There are probably several other types, my favorite being those who don't know, claim to know, and by total fluke of luck, get it mostly right

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
New Epson Printers?
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 11:12:21 am »

Why get a 4800 series printer when the 7900 is about as good as it gets? At least mine is.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
New Epson Printers?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 03:46:11 pm »

Quote from: Tim Gray
There are probably several other types, my favorite being those who don't know, claim to know, and by total fluke of luck, get it mostly right
Those that pass uninformed speculation off as fact are unhelpful to say the least. Those that brag "I know but I can't tell you - na na na na na" aren't much helpful either unless there are words to read between the lines (and there often are). If Apple rumors are any indication there are those that are embedded in the industry with lots of contacts yet no formal NDAs to follow. When they create rumors or "well informed predictions" that are proven to be 95% accurate then that's something worth watching.

On rare occasions, manufacturers intentionally leak out information via well places sources that are or aren't under NDA. This can help create a "buzz" and prevent users from buying a competitors newly announced product until their product announcement comes out, for example. Sometimes large sales channels are told by the manufacturer that supplies of an older product won't be replenished or that a new product will arrive on a certain date and it's pretty obvious what they're talking about.

I know first hand that it can be very frustrating to have an NDA and hold your tongue while others talk about a product they've obviously gotten some intimate experience with. When you've spent the time contributing to product testing via the right channels you kinda expect to be a knowledgeable person people look to when the right time comes.

So I don't think it's as black and white as those with an NDA know and everyone else doesn't. Either way, I wouldn't expect to see much insight here in such a public forum.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

madmanchan

• Web
New Epson Printers?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 04:34:11 pm »

Quote from: Dan Berg
Why get a 4800 series printer when the 7900 is about as good as it gets? At least mine is.

Cost and space are 2 reasons that come to mind ...
Eric Chan

CoyoteButtes

New Epson Printers?
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 05:54:17 pm »

For Mr. Schewe,

With full respect for NDA agreements, do you think the answer to a 4880 replacement (or 3900 for that matter) will be available at the Epson booth at the upcoming Photoshop World in October?

Many thanks,

Stan Burman
Page, Arizona

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
New Epson Printers?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 08:04:01 pm »

Quote from: CoyoteButtes
For Mr. Schewe,

With full respect for NDA agreements,

Since I do indeed respect NDAs, I couldn't possibly answer one way or the other...other than mention that Epson themselves have stated publicly that users shouldn't expect x900 type printers in smaller the 24" wide sizes in the near future because of the difficulty of manufacture and cost. So, if I were you, I wouldn't be holding my breath. That said since the 2880 has Vivid Magenta one would expect that the 3800 would get a 3880 upgrade at some point but I ain't saying it's gonna happen at any specific time or if at all.

CoyoteButtes

New Epson Printers?
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 08:55:01 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Since I do indeed respect NDAs, I couldn't possibly answer one way or the other...other than mention that Epson themselves have stated publicly that users shouldn't expect x900 type printers in smaller the 24" wide sizes in the near future because of the difficulty of manufacture and cost. So, if I were you, I wouldn't be holding my breath. That said since the 2880 has Vivid Magenta one would expect that the 3800 would get a 3880 upgrade at some point but I ain't saying it's gonna happen at any specific time or if at all.

Thanks, Jeff. It is so difficult to be patient.

Stan
Pages: [1]   Go Up