Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two impressions  (Read 2801 times)

John R

Two impressions
« on: July 04, 2009, 02:58:20 pm »

I took these two shots, both in-camera double exposures, in the last two days. The blue bells came out light and airy, while the grass-curbside wildflowers (weeds) were taken in overcast light, and are a bit darker.

JMR
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:08:47 am by John R »

Ed Blagden

Two impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 03:36:23 pm »

I like them both, especially #2, but to my taste they are both a bit over saturated - the green is so green it looks un-natural to me.

John R

Two impressions
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 04:04:53 pm »

Quote from: Ed B
I like them both, especially #2, but to my taste they are both a bit over saturated - the green is so green it looks un-natural to me.
That often happens in double exposures involving green foliage of any kind. Thnaks for the comments.

JMR

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Two impressions
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 04:38:15 pm »

The first one works, but I don't think #2 does.  The two exposures are too different; it appears obvious.

I'm writing too many twos.

Dave

John R

Two impressions
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 10:28:25 pm »

Quote from: dchew
The first one works, but I don't think #2 does.  The two exposures are too different; it appears obvious.

I'm writing too many twos.

Dave
You are right, I wasn't using a tripod, so my register was off just a bit; sometimes being off register also works and is by design. I don't think it is that bad even as it is. BTW just saw your site and you have outstanding work there, especially like your Trees category. Thanks for the commentary.

JMR

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Two impressions
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 01:58:48 am »

I prefer #2 actually.  There's no attempt at 'realism', it is what it pretends to be.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

John R

Two impressions
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 04:41:40 pm »

Quote from: wolfnowl
I prefer #2 actually.  There's no attempt at 'realism', it is what it pretends to be.

Mike.
I just discovered why the greens are more off than usual on these types of images, it turns out I had the daylight balance set for overcast light even though it wasn't. Guess I forgot. Anyway, thanks for the comments. Do you know what the yellow, very small flowers are? Someone told me they were in the pea family and grow everywhere by the roadside.

JMR
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 04:54:53 am by John R »

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Two impressions
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 11:58:29 pm »

I like the 'glow' effect in #1, and I also like the compositional layers created by the diagonal lines running through the image. But I feel the image is too bright, I'd rather see the grass closer to the mid-tone range like in the second image.

I'm still somewhat undecided on the second image. After first I didn't like it because the out-of-focus exposure isn't enough out of focus to become indistinguishable. So the initial is that this image looks more like a 'camera trick' than the first image. On the other hand, as I looked closer, there's a sort of swirling/radiating pattern here that I find interesting. I also like the placement of the colors within the composition, with the strong grouping of white flowers in the cornered surrounded by deep greens, and then the predominantly yellow flowers fanning out.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Two impressions
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 01:26:04 am »

Quote from: John R
I just discovered why the greens are more off thnan usual on these types of images, it turns out I had the daylight balnce set for overcast light even though it wasn't. Guess I forgot. Anyway, thanks for the comments. Do you know what the yellow, very small flowers are? Someone told me they were in the pea family and grow everywhere by the roadside.

JMR

Well, they're pretty out of focus, but if they're roadside plants and they look like pea flowers I'd say probably bird's foot trefoil.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

John R

Two impressions
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 04:53:42 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Well, they're pretty out of focus, but if they're roadside plants and they look like pea flowers I'd say probably bird's foot trefoil.

Mike.
That's it, thanks!

JMR
Pages: [1]   Go Up