Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Phase Acquires Leaf  (Read 53129 times)

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 04:29:49 pm »

Quote from: foto-z

I never wrote or implied that the Hy6 was connected to Leaf. I wrote that Phase was crazy to buy Leaf rather than the Hy6. They need a better camera body much more than another back manufacturer, as Carsten already pointed out.

This could be a reflection on the current status of F & H more than a statement on the "insanity" of Phase One.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:30:00 pm by Steve Hendrix/Phase One »
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

NikonMike

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 04:41:25 pm »

From http://www.dpreview.com/news/0906/09062503phaseoneleaf.asp

"The [AFi-II] camera system will not be supported from Day One," says Henrik O. Håkonsson President and CEO of Phase One, which already owns a controlling stake in camera and lens maker Mamiya Digital Imaging: "We have said to our Leaf colleagues that we will evaluate the future of this camera system but we are not currently convinced of its potential."

That's pretty blunt I'd say...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 04:45:15 pm by NikonMike »

Carsten W

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2009, 04:59:50 pm »

Quote from: NikonMike

"The [AFi-II] camera system will not be supported from Day One," says Henrik O. Håkonsson President and CEO of Phase One, which already owns a controlling stake in camera and lens maker Mamiya Digital Imaging: "We have said to our Leaf colleagues that we will evaluate the future of this camera system but we are not currently convinced of its potential."

It is blunt, but not convincing. I am not sure how one sees potential in the AFDIII but not the Hy6. Anyway, matter of taste. I think the price was just too high for him, and he is trying to soften up Jenoptik.
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2009, 05:26:59 pm »

Quote from: carstenw
It is blunt, but not convincing. I am not sure how one sees potential in the AFDIII but not the Hy6. Anyway, matter of taste. I think the price was just too high for him, and he is trying to soften up Jenoptik.

The question of a price being too high is not necessarily one of stinginess, but could rather be one of economic prudence and fiscal rationality.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

hubell

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2009, 05:55:38 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One
The question of a price being too high is not necessarily one of stinginess, but could rather be one of economic prudence and fiscal rationality.

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Yes, I viewed that quote as businessmanspeak for Phase saying to Sinar, "you know, we really don't need your Hy6s and aren't too excited about it as a platform, but we will buy the whole Hy6 project from you if the price is right, and if not, you can pound sand with it." Alternative: "If you let us put Phase backs on the AFIs, we will continue to buy them from F&H/Sinar and help keep the project afloat." Seriously possible result is Phase winds up buying Sinar's mfdb line and the Hy6 also. I just hope Hasselblad keeps its eye on the ball(i.e., building Canon and Nikon-like features and value into its products) and doesn't jump into this morass.

bcooter

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2009, 06:04:47 pm »

Quote from: Steve Hendrix/Phase One

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Steve,

Let's face it, you know the answer to this . . . your a salesperson.

This is about sales and places to sell cameras.

leaf had a dealer network, phase had a dealer network, now phase has a larger dealer network.

Sure, they'll probably use some of Leaf's technology, same with Kodak and may even sell and license some, but in the end of the day, not taking the AFI means the only Leaf product Phase has to sell is just a direct competitor that will mount on a Mamiya body.

What Phase really gains is probably an instant entry into MAC and some of the reps like Yair in Europe.

Phase needs to sell backs and this gives them more opportunity to sell Phase backs.

So unless somebody does something different there are now only two real players in Medium Format; Hasselblad and Phase.

Who knows who the winner will be, but I'll bet it's Hasselblad and if they we're really on top of it the front page of the Hasselblad site should read "The Only Complete Line of Autofocus Leaf Shutter lenses In the World".

I'd put the word leaf in 8 pt. type.

BC

DesW

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2009, 07:41:43 pm »

Quote from: NikonMike

Oh Dear!-- I thought I saw a light  with an alternative body to the gawdawful "Phamiya" on the horizon.

Guess we are stuck with that POS for a while yet.

Oh the Pain!

DesW

Graham Mitchell

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2009, 08:14:19 pm »

Quote from: DesW
Oh Dear!-- I thought I saw a light  with an alternative body to the gawdawful "Phamiya" on the horizon.

Guess we are stuck with that POS for a while yet.

Oh the Pain!

DesW

They might be just avoiding the issue until the future of the Hy6 is secured. What else can they say right now?

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2009, 08:17:08 pm »

So, what's the new name going to be?

Pheaf

Lase

Phameaf

Lephamiya

Lease

???

jimgolden

• http://
Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2009, 08:24:08 pm »

LEASE

gwhitf

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2009, 08:25:54 pm »

Quote from: ericstaud
So, what's the new name going to be?

"InagaddaMamiya, baby..."

http://www.ironbutterfly.com/discography.php

chiek

• chiek imaging
Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2009, 09:24:54 pm »

I just change my workhorse from leaf to phase.

phase back is not arrived yet.

It's very surprised for me.

What happen to used market price?
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2009, 09:26:40 pm »

Not sure why photographers should see this as being good news.

The logical consequence of this will be less options, and I wouldn't be optimistic in terms of this driving prices down.

Cheers,
Bernard

etrump

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 09:32:01 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
Who knows who the winner will be, but I'll bet it's Hasselblad and if they we're really on top of it the front page of the Hasselblad site should read "The Only Complete Line of Autofocus Leaf Shutter lenses In the World".

Don't let the facts get in the way.  Phase has the money to invest in phase and take over leaf distribution and sales channel because they are selling more backs at a substantial profit.   They are aggressively putting themselves in a position to compete against Hasselblad with a complete platform.

A pretty gutsy move considering the state of the economy with no sign it will be getting better thanks to world-wide political stupidity.

Ed Cooley
 [url=http://www.whiteri

Leonardo Barreto

• http://leonardobarreto.com/
Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2009, 10:40:20 pm »

I think it is time that I can say I told them so, It is interesting now that PhaseOne, is quoted as thinking that the Afi/Hy6 not currently convinced of its potential. and is exactly what I said here in this forum. I am going to copy here a PM that I got then --of course I will keep the name of the person who sent it for myself, and must say have nothing against him, but want to use it as an example of how difficult it is to state ones opinion honestly here or anywhere is--

[blockquote]Leonardo,
I'm just curious - why do you have an axe to grind for the Rollei Hy6 stuff? You don't shoot it. Why do you have to continue to try and knock it down? Do you do it just for fun? Do you work for Hasselblad? Your posts about Rollei are often uninformed and ignorant. Don't forget that your posts affect peoples opinions and if you don't really know something then don't post it.

We had some nice chats a few years back before you moved to Spain or wherever it was, but since then I've been wondering what you could be thinking.
[/blockquote]

The title was What's your beef?, Mar 8 2009

I don't think I ever go personal with my opinions regarding this system or people like Thierry that did a heroic job -and continues to do it on his own--. Now the AFi/Hy6 may have taken down Leaf on their fall, so, it is big event in the small MF world, some could see it coming from far, others don't even want to see it now. To say a storm is coming doesn't mean we a) want the strom  have any part in the makings of the storm c) do not sympathize with future victims of the storm or have fun saying that particular storm is coming...

[font=Comic Sa

dseelig

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2009, 10:59:08 pm »

It is funny what Phase is saying about the Hy 6 camera. Quite frankly I cannot stand the Mamiya Phase camera. I tried it, love the HY 6, the problem cost. Phase only stands to make money from what they own to say they cannot see the potential really means they do not own it so they can make more money with the Mamiya body. They may have seemed to be a  more open system then Hasselbald but reality is they, Phase, are not. The losers are all of us that want medium format backs to come down in price. I hope I am wrong but doubt it. I remember what James Russell said about voigtlander lenses on a M8 somethign about driving a porsche with a chevy engine, the same to me about shooting medium format with a phase mamiya. David Seelig
www.davidseelig.com

YYZ

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2009, 11:03:32 pm »

Quote from: bcooter
Phase needs to sell backs and this gives them more opportunity to sell Phase backs.

So unless somebody does something different there are now only two real players in Medium Format; Hasselblad and Phase.

BC
Phase bought into Leaf because Leaf makes a good product. Leaf has years of experience in working with Dalsa chips, a large LCD touchscreen, great color and innovative IP. Now, if photographers buy either Phase or Leaf backs, Phase wins. In these tough times, when DSLRs are getting packed with more pixels, you have to have a platform that is reasonably priced. The leaf shutter in Hasselblad lenses are useful for some photographers but it prices them so high that their system become way too expensive for the guy trying to make the leap to medium format. Try making a list of the most commonly used lenses of the two systems. at the end of the day, you will have a lot less money in your pocket is you bought Hasselblad.

I don't think Haselblad is the winner here.

ziocan

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2009, 11:21:32 pm »

I'm I missing something?
But I think this announcement is not going to affect the functionality of my current Phase One back.

YYZ

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2009, 11:31:45 pm »

Quote from: ziocan
I'm I missing something?
But I think this announcement is not going to affect the functionality of my current Phase One back.

With Phase and Leaf combining forces, the functionality of backs will not llikely change until the Phase/Leaf exchange of technology starts to work.

PHOTO ZARA

Phase Acquires Leaf
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2009, 11:54:56 pm »

no phase1 probably acquired leaf and paid for the famous film look    

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up