Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cullman Tripod  (Read 19935 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Cullman Tripod
« on: June 19, 2009, 01:13:02 pm »

Hi Folks:

Among my disparate photo equipment one item I have is a Cullman 2904 tripod that's about 26 or 27 years old.  I have other tripods, but I've had this one for so long we know each other pretty well.  Anyway, a little while back one of the legs was damaged (I secretly think it was the movers) and I thought I was going to have to retire the tripod.  Before doing so, however, I went to the Cullman website and sent them a message to ask if there is anyone in Canada who could repair it for me.  Because of the age of the tripod I didn't hold out much hope, but it didn't hurt to ask.  I received a very quick response from Marion Derbali, in Cullman's Export department.  She included an exploded parts diagram of my tripod, and let me know that if I provided her with a list of the parts I need, she would send them to me for free.  I did, and she assures me that the new parts are on their way.

I think this is how all businesses should be run - with excellent customer service and attention to detail, but such service seems all too infrequent these days.  To that end, I think we should acknowledge excellence when we encounter it, and I very much appreciate what Cullman's doing for me.  Cullman is based out of Germany; in addition to tripods they manufacture bags, flash units, tripod heads, etc.  Their website is: http://www.cullmann-foto.de/  The English portion of their website is currently being redesigned, but if you're looking for long-lasting, hard-wearing equipment backed by excellent customer service, check them out!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

DarkPenguin

Cullman Tripod
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 02:02:12 pm »

Nice.  I like feisol for some of the same reasons.  They mailed me replacement parts (not a leg) from taiwan for free.  They still offer upgrades to my tripod.  (One other their original offerings.)

Very cool.  Nice to know there are other good companies out there.

francois

Cullman Tripod
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 04:45:17 am »

Quote from: wolfnowl
Hi Folks:

Among my disparate photo equipment one item I have is a Cullman 2904 tripod that's about 26 or 27 years old.  I have other tripods, but I've had this one for so long we know each other pretty well.  Anyway, a little while back one of the legs was damaged (I secretly think it was the movers) and I thought I was going to have to retire the tripod.  Before doing so, however, I went to the Cullman website and sent them a message to ask if there is anyone in Canada who could repair it for me.  Because of the age of the tripod I didn't hold out much hope, but it didn't hurt to ask.  I received a very quick response from Marion Derbali, in Cullman's Export department.  She included an exploded parts diagram of my tripod, and let me know that if I provided her with a list of the parts I need, she would send them to me for free.  I did, and she assures me that the new parts are on their way.

I think this is how all businesses should be run - with excellent customer service and attention to detail, but such service seems all too infrequent these days.  To that end, I think we should acknowledge excellence when we encounter it, and I very much appreciate what Cullman's doing for me.  Cullman is based out of Germany; in addition to tripods they manufacture bags, flash units, tripod heads, etc.  Their website is: http://www.cullmann-foto.de/  The English portion of their website is currently being redesigned, but if you're looking for long-lasting, hard-wearing equipment backed by excellent customer service, check them out!

Mike.

It's not to often to see customer support like that...  Thanks for sharing the info about good companies!
Francois

StephenPinder

Cullman Tripod
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 05:49:38 pm »

I was also in a similar predicament: My trusty 25 year old Cullman 2504 had a lame leg because of 2 defective parts.  I search the web, and eventually stumbled upon this site in general, and this post in particular. I decided to see if I can get any advise on whom could prossibly provide service or a replacement parts. So I followed the link provided above. I really was not hoping for much, resigned to the fact that it might finally be time to buy a new tripod. So I visited Cullman's website, which is all in German, by the way, and somehow sent off an email explaining my case.

To my utter amazement, I got a quick response from Merian, whom offered her assistance by sending me a schematic diagram of my tripod so that I could identify the parts in question. Not expensive parts by any means, basically two plastic sheaths that fit inside the leg of the tripod, but what were the odds of that 25 year old item still being in stock anywhere?  After a few emails, withing three days the replacement parts were on thier way.

I defy anyone to give me an example of a company that will offer any assistance, let alone service a 25 year old (at least) product free of charge! Remember, this is coming from Germany. Most any other company would have stated that the product is no longer supported or refered my to thier Canadian distributor. (Who most likely would of told me the same thing).

But it get's better. Three  weeks later, I was shocked to see that somehow, the lever arm had come unscrewed and dropped off. Search as I might, I could not find it. Embarressed, but desperate, I decided to write Cullman again, to request the contact details of thier Canadian distributor. Merian replied that they would send off the missing part once again, and, oh, by the way, this other part looks worn, you might want us to send that one along as well.

Quality, pricing, functionality are all important components when it come to purchasing a product. But after sales service, such as what was provided me by Cullman, goes a long way to secure customer loyalty. And believe me, they are way ahead of the game!

Oh, and while I am at it..this is my first post in your site, and a lovely site it is!  I have come back into photography after a very long hiatus. My last camera was a minolta X700, and before that, the Minolta SRT 101. I just reaquanting myself with the joy of photography, this time with a DSLR.

I will no doubt be participating and posting more in the near future, and look forward to interacting with my fellow shutter buffs!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:45:59 am by StephenPinder »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Cullman Tripod
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 10:19:10 pm »

Hi Stephen, and welcome to the list!  Glad to hear your Cullman tripod is working again!

Mike.

(who also has an SRT-101, an XD-11, 2 X-700s...)

handmoreh

Re: Cullman Tripod
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 12:06:43 pm »

Thank you to wolfnowl for posting the link to the Cullmann site.  After 25 years, I lost the coupling plate that attaches to the camera (part CU81) and it has been discontinued.  Because of all the positive responses on this blog, I sent an email to Cullmann in Germany and within 24 hours I received a reply from them as well as from R.T.S. Inc, the US distributor for Cullmann products.  They referred me to the replacement part (CU40470)  and the US dealers that sell it.  I agree.  Their customer service is wonderful and deserves continued mention!

Yaal Herman

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 08:28:53 am »

I am also i happy user of Cullmann tripods (i am using both the titan+head and a smaller ballhead) and needed a part replacement. it was sent right away, not even postal fees. I will for sure use them again.  Their gear is also extremely durable, unique in its approach and created with the professional photographer in mind.

I have noticed that they recently released their professional model Titan, which i find very usefull for wedding photography because of its solid construction and fast assemble

yaal

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 10:53:47 pm »

In the early 80s I bought a used Pentax 6x7, the non-mirror lock up model so it was pretty old then. On a trip to Mexico, the film advance began to malfunction and it started overlapping frames. I sent it to Pentax for repair. When it was returned it still had the same problem.

So I contacted Pentax again. They said they were sorry and asked if I would accept a refrub since they were apparently unable to repair mine. I was surprised at that level of support and happily agreed. A couple of days later Pentax called me and said they didn't have any non lock-up refurbs and asked if I would accept one of the newer lock-up models. Again I was surprised and quickly agreed. Two days later the same guy called and said they didn't have any refurbs. He asked if it would be OK if he sent me a new one! This time I was really shocked and found it hard to accept a new body for a failed repair of one that was about 10 years old. But I did.

I worked professionally with that as my main camera for many years. I shot magazine articles and covers, weddings, calendars, class reunions and lots of other stuff. This summer I finally (sadly) traded it for a digital. It's hard to fault that kind of customer service and it was hard for me to part with my big Pentax. 

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 01:51:53 am »

Thanks for sharing your stories!

Mike.

MrSmith

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 04:19:45 am »

A much better service than lowepro, i have a pro roller case that had to be binned as they had no spare handles, a crappy bit of plastic held together with 2 screws that shatters under the torsional load of the case rocking from side to side (because the wheels are not far enough apart)
thinktank offer much better cases and better customer service, the TSA lock jammed and they sent me a new lock the next day, peli sent me 2 new wheels as one developed a bit of a bearing wobble, their reasoning was that if one was wobbly the other one might be close to failure so best to have another spare.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 09:26:07 am »

I am also i happy user of Cullmann tripods (i am using both the titan+head and a smaller ballhead) and needed a part replacement. it was sent right away, not even postal fees. I will for sure use them again.  Their gear is also extremely durable, unique in its approach and created with the professional photographer in mind.

I have noticed that they recently released their professional model Titan, which i find very usefull for wedding photography because of its solid construction and fast assemble

yaal

The Cullman Titan tripod line has been out for quite awhile---a bit heavy, but very stable and strong.  Hands-down my Cullman Titan CT100 is absolutely the fastest tripod I've ever used---particularly helpful when you need to set up quickly at weddings/events.
Pages: [1]   Go Up