Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Where the #%*! are my pictures  (Read 33149 times)

seany

Where the #%*! are my pictures
« on: June 19, 2009, 08:07:39 am »

With respect Michael for those of us who paid out for your previous tutorials on Lightroom the question is what the #%*! is this?, you are saying you thought you knew Lightroom but didn't, seems to me if you didn't then an apology is in order and at the least a free update to compensate.

michael

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:27:26 am »

Oh please, give me a break.

That's like talking about learning how to drive a race car and then complaining about it because you already have a regular driver's license. One has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

Watch the preview clip (not just the teaser), and then tell me if this is not new and special information that goes beyond the basics. Much beyond.

I'm something of an expert on Lightroom, but I learned a great deal from Seth during the production of this video. I make no apologies for that. I'm always learning something new, and one of the things I learned a long time ago is to engage brain before putting mouth in gear. No driver's license required.

Michael
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 09:25:14 am by michael »

seany

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 11:51:04 am »

one of the things I learned a long time ago is to engage brain before putting mouth in gear. No driver's license required.

Michael
[/quote]

Precisely

framah

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 12:45:50 pm »

Nice to see Seth  without a @$**&%   iceberg under him!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 01:57:42 pm »

Surfing the web, or talking with students, the number one question I get about Lightroom from users is "Where are my pictures"? That said, I think the title, with tongue in cheek is not only perfectly acceptable, it makes lots of sense!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 10:05:33 pm »

I'm at #8.

Wonderful tutorial.  Sure, some of the stuff is personal preference, but I've already learned a whole bunch.  Great content, reasonable explanations, fun engagement and a high level of excitement.

Informative, entertaining and fun.

Thank you Chris, Michael and Seth.

Dave Chew

Geoff Samuels

• http://web.me.com/geoffsamuels
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2009, 09:09:13 pm »

I'd just like to second what Dave Chew wrote. I found that even though the video is addressing the problems of photo DAM it (perhaps inadvertenly) turned out to be a tutorial
that fills in and complements Michael's and Jeff's Lightroom tutorials. I thought I was reasonably familiar with Lightroom but this video showed me at least four other ways to
add keywords that I never even knew about. For that alone it was well worth the price.

I do have one (not very serious) question though - I noticed a slightly different pronunciation of Jeff Schewe's name than from previous videos. I'll probably never meet
the gentleman but if I do should I pronounce his name "SHOE-EE" or "SHE-WEE"?
Geoff Samuels
"World Domination Through

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 12:11:56 am »

Quote from: geoffsamuels
I found that even though the video is addressing the problems of photo DAM it (perhaps inadvertenly) turned out to be a tutorial that fills in and complements Michael's and Jeff's Lightroom tutorials. I thought I was reasonably familiar with Lightroom but this video showed me at least four other ways to add keywords that I never even knew about. For that alone it was well worth the price.

Just to be perfectly clear, the Lightroom 2 video that Michael and I did took over 3 days to tape (with late beta, near RC quality software) and uncounted hours of editing by Chris and the end result was that keywording ended up getting what, 25-35 minutes of run time in the LR 2 vids?

We knew when we taped it (hey, both Michael and I have spent quality time with Seth–heck, I was his roommate for 3 trips to Antarctica) that it wouldn't be "complete" but we specifically decided NOT to dwell extensively on the whole metadata issue. At the time of THAT taping, both Michael and I talked about the fact that the _BEST_ person to talk about the asset management issues would be Seth. I kinda talked Seth into doing the video taping with Michael...and Seth and Michael have spent quality time together on three separate Antacricata trips.

I noticed a slightly different pronunciation of Jeff Schewe's name than from previous videos. I'll probably never meet the gentleman but if I do should I pronounce his name "SHOE-EE" or "SHE-WEE"?

If you want to be" Germainically" correct, the name is "shay-ve" but my mom always said she-we. When my great grandparents immigrated in the late 1800's, the name was "Scheive" which was the German spelling. It was written down as "Schewe" instead of Scheive (which was the correct German spelling). So, according to my Dad (who WAS German) the pronunciation was "Shay-ve". According to my Mom it was "She-we".

As long as you sign the check, you can call me whatever you want to call me!!!!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 01:07:26 am by Schewe »

daws

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 01:05:27 am »

Quote from: seany
With respect Michael for those of us who paid out for your previous tutorials on Lightroom the question is what the #%*! is this?, you are saying you thought you knew Lightroom but didn't, seems to me if you didn't then an apology is in order and at the least a free update to compensate.
An apology and free update are hardly sufficient compensation. Over the years, the stuff I've learned from Michael's photographs, writing, instructional videos and this web site has resulted in me purchasing new hardware, upgrading software and retooling one aspect or another of nearly my entire damn workflow! Do you have any idea how much time and money that has cost?! You're into me for big bucks, Reichmann!!

I'll, um... be happy take it out in prints.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 01:55:39 am »

Quote from: Schewe
If you want to be" Germainically" correct, the name is "shay-ve" but my mom always said she-we. When my great grandparents immigrated in the late 1800's, the name was "Scheive" which was the German spelling. It was written down as "Schewe" instead of Scheive (which was the correct German spelling). So, according to my Dad (who WAS German) the pronunciation was "Shay-ve". According to my Mom it was "She-we".

Smith.  Got it.

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 03:13:39 am »

Quote from: daws
Do you have any idea how much time and money that has cost?! You're into me for big bucks, Reichmann!!

Doode, you are seriously barking up the wrong tree....

Aside from the fact that Michael has no specific warrantee (you are always due an amount equal to what you've paid), the fact that YOU'VE been unable to exercise the normal self-restraint regarding your hardware/software purchases can hardly be held against Michael even if he _IS_ personally  responsible for all you own poor investment decisions...

The fact is that it took Seth Resnich a whole friggin' weekend to figure out where the F#$^%&* Michael's images may actually be hiding....now, it would NOT be polite not to point this out to Michael...

The fact that Chris could spend over a month editing the footage and STILL have issues regarding the tutorial name convention should tell you something–that none of this stuff is particularly easy nor prone to fixing itself by it self....

It could be wore...you might not have a friggnin' clue what we're talking about in the first place–in which case you should prolly just put a gun to your head straight away...

daws

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 06:30:42 am »

Quote from: Schewe
Doode, you are seriously barking up the wrong tree....

Aside from the fact that Michael has no specific warrantee (you are always due an amount equal to what you've paid), the fact that YOU'VE been unable to exercise the normal self-restraint regarding your hardware/software purchases can hardly be held against Michael even if he _IS_ personally  responsible for all you own poor investment decisions...

The fact is that it took Seth Resnich a whole friggin' weekend to figure out where the F#$^%&* Michael's images may actually be hiding....now, it would NOT be polite not to point this out to Michael...

The fact that Chris could spend over a month editing the footage and STILL have issues regarding the tutorial name convention should tell you something–that none of this stuff is particularly easy nor prone to fixing itself by it self....

It could be wore...you might not have a friggnin' clue what we're talking about in the first place–in which case you should prolly just put a gun to your head straight away...

Jeff,

My post #9 above is a parody of the first post in this thread. It is a sendup of the (in my opinion, ridiculous) concept that Michael owes us free updates.

The parody turns on the fact that Michael's efforts on LL over the years have been a resource to the photographic community which promote advancement of photographers' skills. The (in my opinion, self-entitled) attitude advanced in post #1 of this thread that financial compensation is owed to readers is the point of the joke.

May I request that you read my post again with that in mind -- and with my apologies that its tone wasn't clear?

Regards,
Fred Dawson

laughingbear

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 08:01:25 am »

Quote from: seany

I payed Michael for a one on one session, which was most pleasant btw., and yeah, at this point in time, it was a Heck of a lot of money for me.

When we sat in his studio, he did not know that you can open LR as a 64 bit application, so I showed it to him. - So what? -

He did not know that you can pick a color from your picture to be used in your grad filter, and I forgot that as well until last week. LOL So I shared it with him. - So what? -

Guess you would have asked for your money back, yeah?

Apart from that, there are so callded tutorials on CD  or DVD that are 10-20 times more expensive, and provide a lot of blah blah and stating the obvious, boring the living daylight out of you.

Michael's stuff is sold for a bottom dollar price, and guess what, this is not  priced that low to make more money for him, although economical ways of looking at this as a business need to be there as well, naturally, he does it so it is affordable for everyone, this much I know!

If he were to sell them for 3x-5x as expensive, he would not have a problem selling them, but he does not!

Nuff said!

David Good

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 08:11:01 am »

This is the one aspect of LR that always confounded me, thanks for coming out with this video Michael and Seth. (Jeff, I know where I put them, I just didn't inform LR when I was doing it.)

Dave

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 10:24:18 am »

Quote from: daws
May I request that you read my post again with that in mind -- and with my apologies that its tone wasn't clear?

er, surely Schewe's answer was a parody of yours ?

Dangerous thing, satire on the internet....
--
David Mantripp

daws

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 10:57:51 am »

Quote from: drm
er, surely Schewe's answer was a parody of yours ?
Then again, how can he be sure mine wasn't a parody of his? (For that matter, how can I be sure?)

And please don't call Schewe Shirley.

Schewe

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 02:41:57 pm »

:~)

That's all I'm gonna say...

cmi

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 09:30:53 am »

Well, this nice site... wich attracts so much visitors, probably earns cash and on top, the owner even makes better pictures then me... ...THAT ANNOYS THE HELL OUT OF ME!!! - every day I see a new article posted!!! I NEED to find something bad about it, I need to point out something, I need to complain, I neeeed to complaaAain!!!

(*wildly tramples on the ground, grimaces, howls and falls down on the knees beating the ground, bashing the head onto the hard concrete floor and bursting into tears finally*)

In answer to the first post... ...just couldnt resist!!!

nokinq

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 05:20:22 pm »

Quote from: Christian Miersch
Well, this nice site... wich attracts so much visitors, probably earns cash and on top, the owner even makes better pictures then me... ...THAT ANNOYS THE HELL OUT OF ME!!! - every day I see a new article posted!!! I NEED to find something bad about it, I need to point out something, I need to complain, I neeeed to complaaAain!!!

(*wildly tramples on the ground, grimaces, howls and falls down on the knees beating the ground, bashing the head onto the hard concrete floor and bursting into tears finally*)

In answer to the first post... ...just couldnt resist!!!

My goodness I hope you feel better now you've got that off your chest.

cmi

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 09:21:40 pm »

Quote from: nokinq
My goodness I hope you feel better now you've got that off your chest.

I read this subforum over 3 years now and over the time got astonished how much substanceless critique and nitpicking is exercised here. Beside the valid additions of course. Interesting articles from knowledgeable guys almost every other day, but the first voice commenting these efforts here in "About this site" very often nothing more than jealous nitpicking, in my opinion, as in this case. So thats what I pointed out with my sarcastic comment. Likely that will piss off other nitpickers, but I think I'll be able to live with that.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up