Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raw Files Not Showing in Spotlight Search  (Read 2979 times)

George Barr

Raw Files Not Showing in Spotlight Search
« on: May 23, 2009, 02:46:59 pm »

Since an update to Mac OS X some time ago, I notice that I can no longer search for my raw files. I am searching by filename. Anyone know why they no longer show and how I can fix this?

Thanks

George

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 02:51:28 pm »

Quote from: George Barr
Since an update to Mac OS X some time ago, I notice that I can no longer search for my raw files. I am searching by filename. Anyone know why they no longer show and how I can fix this?

Thanks

George

Go to your Spotlight preferences,  Privacy panel, and make sure the drive (or folder) with the files you want searchable is not in that list.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:52:17 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

Geoff Samuels

• http://web.me.com/geoffsamuels
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 02:59:58 pm »

Quote from: George Barr

Thanks

George

Try opening System Preferences, go to the Spotlight Menu and make sure that under the tab "Search Results" that the eighth item "Images" is checked.

If it is then perhaps the volume that your raw files reside in isn't being indexed; unfortunately I don't remember what to do to force a drive to be indexed for
Spotlight's database.
Geoff Samuels
"World Domination Through

George Barr

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 03:15:10 am »

Unfortunately, neither is the problem. Images is included in the search and there are no drives listed in the privacy list.

I did read once that I had to redo the index by adding all my drives to the privacy list then take them off again. I did this and it did not fix the problem.

Spotlight finds all my processed images, whether jpeg, tiff or psd. It even shows all the .cr2 files but as soon as you put even a single digit in front of .cr2 or .crw, it finds absolutely nothing.

I am in the process of switching to Lightroom from Bridge and using keywords with all my images, but it will be some time before that process is finished and previously I had found spotlight all that I needed to find images quickly and painlessly.

Any further suggestions will be most welcome and guys, thanks for trying to help.

George

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 12:45:23 pm »

Spotlight has always failed to find all sorts of files and folders for me which I can find manually. I think it's just a very poor search tool.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 04:22:43 pm »

Quote from: foto-z
Spotlight has always failed to find all sorts of files and folders for me which I can find manually. I think it's just a very poor search tool.
That's weird - I rely on spotlight and its working really well for me.  What kind of files does it not find for you and do you shut your computer down all the time after use?  I think it does indexing during idle times.

Rolleiflex USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up