Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: P-65 vs 8x10 comparison for large prints  (Read 19930 times)

Anders_HK

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1010
    • andersloof.com
P-65 vs 8x10 comparison for large prints
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2009, 09:02:14 am »

Quote from: Murray Fredericks
Hi Jerry,

the prints have been sent to Grieger in Germany (Gursky's framers apparently) and they have the expertise. I do not have any specifics.

The prints will be dry mounted and then set in a box frame. They will not be over-matted.

From my inquires at home here in Australia, the problem was not the board but the perspex as there must be no joins.

This is not a cheap exercise

I have attached a new image.

For those interested (and from an earlier post), there is also a film that I shot on the whole 7 year project that is currently touring the international festivals called 'SALT'. The next festival is Silverdocs in Washington DC 6/18 , then Moscow, then Montreal. Sydney is next week!

www.saltdoco.com


See attachments!

Murray

[attachment=13953:SALT_poster_small.jpg]


Murray,

Looking at the landscape photos on your website; impressive, both in capture of light and in skillful composition. How do you do stitching? Flat stitching or? And... how do you compose them / visualize them so well, viewfinder or groundglass, or some prior background experience before turning digital?

By chance will your film also come to Asia, I am i Hong Kong. It would be very interesting to see it.

Regards
Anders
Logged

Murray Fredericks

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 295
    • http://www.murrayfredericks.com
P-65 vs 8x10 comparison for large prints
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2009, 09:08:35 am »

Quote from: Anders_HK
Murray,

Looking at the landscape photos on your website; impressive, both in capture of light and in skillful composition. How do you do stitching? Flat stitching or? And... how do you compose them / visualize them so well, viewfinder or groundglass, or some prior background experience before turning digital?

By chance will your film also come to Asia, I am i Hong Kong. It would be very interesting to see it.

Regards
Anders


Hi Anders,

nothing on my website is stitched - the first stitched  image is the one  just posted and there will be more in the upcoming show. Everything on the website is shot on 8x10 neg.

Stitching and keeping the horizon perfectly straight has been the challenge. The FOV is too wide for flat (I think you mean 'planar') stitching. It is usually cylindrical.

In terms of this thread, one thing MFDB can do is reproduce these large field of views with no visible extreme wide angle lens effects. It is the sole reason I began using it for this project.

Cheers

Murray




Logged
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

gwhitf

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 855
P-65 vs 8x10 comparison for large prints
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2009, 09:45:47 am »

Quote from: Murray Fredericks
In terms of this thread, one thing MFDB can do is reproduce these large field of views with no visible extreme wide angle lens effects. It is the sole reason I began using it for this project.

Can you explain this further?

I have done stitching with that RRS Pano adapter, but even using the nodal point, I found it a not appealing way to work. I vastly prefer a shift lens, like the Canon approach, or ideally, now, the HTS adaptor for the H2.

By "wide angle lens effects", can you describe that in real-world terms?

Nice image of that desert, also.

Thanks.
Logged

Murray Fredericks

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 295
    • http://www.murrayfredericks.com
P-65 vs 8x10 comparison for large prints
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2009, 10:04:38 am »

Quote from: gwhitf
Can you explain this further?

I have done stitching with that RRS Pano adapter, but even using the nodal point, I found it a not appealing way to work. I vastly prefer a shift lens, like the Canon approach, or ideally, now, the HTS adaptor for the H2.

By "wide angle lens effects", can you describe that in real-world terms?

Nice image of that desert, also.

Thanks.


Hi,

you see the 'stretching' of the scene in the corners when you put on an extreme shift. The corners distort or stretch around the curve of the lens. That's all I mean by wide angle lens effects.

Stitching by rotating around a nodal point (not by shifting) then stitching using a cylindrical or spherical projection can stop those effects. (switch to  a planar projection here to see what happen if you shifted).

Stitching using rotation will introduce other visual effects and how noticeable they are will depend on your subject - specifically horizontal AND vertical lines eg architecture.

Murray


Logged
Exhibition Website   http://www.murrayfr

BernardLanguillier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13980
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
P-65 vs 8x10 comparison for large prints
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2009, 05:26:25 pm »

Quote from: Murray Fredericks
you see the 'stretching' of the scene in the corners when you put on an extreme shift. The corners distort or stretch around the curve of the lens. That's all I mean by wide angle lens effects.

Stitching by rotating around a nodal point (not by shifting) then stitching using a cylindrical or spherical projection can stop those effects. (switch to  a planar projection here to see what happen if you shifted).

Stitching using rotation will introduce other visual effects and how noticeable they are will depend on your subject - specifically horizontal AND vertical lines eg architecture.

If you haven't yet, you might want to give a try to the latest version of PTgui Pro, it has some projection abilities that can help mitigate to some extend these effects.

Regards,
Bernard
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up