Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya 645 equivalent of Contax 45-90mm zoom?  (Read 3229 times)

narikin

Mamiya 645 equivalent of Contax 45-90mm zoom?
« on: May 12, 2009, 03:55:37 pm »

is there a Mamiya 645 equal to the amazing Zeiss Contax 645 45-90mm zoom?

anyone swapped platforms and can give an impression if the Mamiya 55-110mm is close or not quite in that league? (for me it's one of the highlights of the Contax645 system)

ps: can someone point me to where to find Mamiya 645 MTF charts?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:56:53 pm by narikin »

Snook

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 05:05:13 pm »

Quote from: John Schweikert
The new Mamiya 45-90mm D lens announced a year or more ago is on hold indefinitely. So no comparable lens in the M mount as Contax.

I use the Mamiya AF 55-110 and it's OK, soft wide open, certainly respectable stopped down and gets the job done, just nothing to hoot-n-holler over.

Alos the 55-110 SuX because you cannot focus closer than like 45 feet...:+} LOL
Seriuosly though it does Suck and focusing close is impossible.
Mamiya has been a let down lately as alot of promised stuff has not showed up in years!
Where are the friggin leaf shutter lens for christ sake!!!
Snook

Josh l.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 06:45:06 pm »

I agree snook, i've been holding out for these leaf shutter lenses for too long, I've just given up and started looking into mount switching to an h2, but knowing my luck the day I switch will be the day the leaf lenses hit the market. I did how ever speak with a phase one rep and he said the new mk2 version of their camera will be released for summer and promised it will will have zero shutter lag, and better AF as well as a leaf shutter 80 45 and 150, he didn't give an idea of pricing though and from the looks of mamiya/p1's d series lenses the leaf shutter ones will be just as much as the hc lenses, I wonder how they'll compare in sharpness?

Josh

vgogolak

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 11:12:54 pm »

“…ps: can someone point me to where to find Mamiya 645 MTF charts?///”

“…The new Mamiya 45-90mm D lens announced a year or more ago is on hold indefinitely. So no comparable lens in the M mount as Contax….”

“…I use the Mamiya AF 55-110 and it's OK, soft wide open, certainly respectable stopped down and gets the job done, just nothing to hoot-n-holler over….”

“:…Alos the 55-110 SuX because you cannot focus closer than like 45 feet...:+} LOL
Seriuosly though it does Suck and focusing close is impossible.
Mamiya has been a let down lately as alot of promised stuff has not showed up in years!
Where are the friggin leaf shutter lens for christ sake!!!...”

“…agree snook, i've been holding out for these leaf shutter lenses for too long, I've just given up and started looking into mount switching to an h2, but knowing my luck the day I switch will be the day the leaf lenses hit the market….”

Sorry, I couldn’t resist this thread. Don’t you just love these ‘live” systems?

Oh well, back to my” DEAD” Contax system  
BTW the zoom I pretty good, but relative to the other Contax lenses a WEAKER performer.
But, who would want a DEAD system,…

Is MR rethinking…..?

Just for grins, here is a 350mm F4 Contax on a P65+ Full and 100%  crop  1/1000 f4 C1 processing

regards
victro
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:17:18 pm by vgogolak »

David Klepacki

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:48:15 pm »

Quote from: vgogolak
BTW the zoom I pretty good, but relative to the other Contax lenses a WEAKER performer.

I have to disagree here.  I know that there have been a few people who have not had good copies of this lens.  Maybe these zooms are prone to needing more precise adjustment over time.  My copy of the Contax 45-90 zoom was the sharpest of my entire Contax 645 lens lineup, and it agreed well with the relative performance of the lenses as indicated by the Zeiss datasheets.  Near the middle of the zoom range, around 70mm, it was incredibly tack sharp, and with no distortion.  I have found only a few other of the Hasselblad V lenses to be sharper on the Contax body (like the 40IF and 110FE).

David

narikin

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 08:39:44 am »

Quote from: vgogolak
also think this is not true. my zoom is as sharp/sharper than my Contax primes. Its not as fast of course, but then the 80mm is useless at f2 or 2.8, and only gets acceptable by f4
The zoom at f5.6 of f8, equals or outperforms the 80mm. Zeiss MTF charts clearly show this. Plus at 70mm it exceeds even the Makro.
(I should also point out that 70mm is a useful perfect standard for sensors that are not full frame 645 - 80mm is too long for smaller sensors)

It also has the stray light absorption innovations on it, unlike all the primes, so flare and colour rendition are improved.
the only complaint you can have is its big and heavy, otherwise, its simply a stunning optic.

Pages: [1]   Go Up