Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Options for Hanging Canvas?  (Read 4083 times)

sfblue

• http://
Options for Hanging Canvas?
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:09:34 pm »

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for displaying canvas other than conventional stretcher bars.   I think I've seen some really large canvas prints that had just a top frame and bottom frame-- sort of like a simple wood sandwich with the canvas hanging from the top frame and the bottom frame providing the weight to keep the canvas somewhat taut.   Has anyone tried this or maybe just sewn in dowel rods top and bottom.   Pros and cons and suggestions?     Thanks.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 08:55:59 pm »

Quote from: sfblue
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for displaying canvas other than conventional stretcher bars.   I think I've seen some really large canvas prints that had just a top frame and bottom frame-- sort of like a simple wood sandwich with the canvas hanging from the top frame and the bottom frame providing the weight to keep the canvas somewhat taut.   Has anyone tried this or maybe just sewn in dowel rods top and bottom.   Pros and cons and suggestions?     Thanks.
About half the shops at any shopping mall will have windows full of fabric prints and posters supported exactly that way.  The Gap, for instance.

There are two problems...1. people can not seem to resist feeling the unsupported vertical edges of the canvas.  2. For some reason the fabric remains taught on a vertical line between the supports, but becomes somewhat ripply towards the edges.

And a possible third problem which is that it's an identifiable cheesy mall look for many people.

There are many commercial sources of such bars, I just did a quick google but couldn't get anything probably because I'm not using the right words.  But they're out there.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 04:43:29 am »

All we do is canvas in our new venture and you have many options. You can do a dry mount on foamboard or other substrates. I started with stardard foamboard with the peel and stick back and then framed with a black metal frame from American frame. The clips in the back hold pressure to hold it together,looks pretty good too. Dibond is another substrate ,more expensive. You can use contact adhesive although some here have issues with that. I do the frame with no glass of course on about 25% of my work only because I can go much larger then my gallery wraps. I think the canvas gallery wrap is the best way to show off  good canvas photographs. If all you need are several canvases done just order them online a dozen companies will do them for you. Its a great hobby to get into and that is how I started. It does take a little know how and a fair amount of equipment. I have a cabinetry business and had most of the stuff already.Air compressor,staple gun,spray booth but bought the Gallery Stretcher.
Do you think their is a market for a 2 day workshop on stretching and wrapping canvas? I am thinking of putting one together. Please chime in anyone.
Dan Berg
Bergs Canvas gallery.com (Late Spring 2009)
Bergscustomfurniture.com
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 04:46:31 am by Dan Berg »

CBoss

• http://www.hahnemuhledirect.com
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 12:52:10 pm »

Quote from: Dan Berg
All we do is canvas in our new venture and you have many options. You can do a dry mount on foamboard or other substrates. I started with stardard foamboard with the peel and stick back and then framed with a black metal frame from American frame. The clips in the back hold pressure to hold it together,looks pretty good too. Dibond is another substrate ,more expensive. You can use contact adhesive although some here have issues with that. I do the frame with no glass of course on about 25% of my work only because I can go much larger then my gallery wraps. I think the canvas gallery wrap is the best way to show off  good canvas photographs. If all you need are several canvases done just order them online a dozen companies will do them for you. Its a great hobby to get into and that is how I started. It does take a little know how and a fair amount of equipment. I have a cabinetry business and had most of the stuff already.Air compressor,staple gun,spray booth but bought the Gallery Stretcher.
Do you think their is a market for a 2 day workshop on stretching and wrapping canvas? I am thinking of putting one together. Please chime in anyone.
Dan Berg
Bergs Canvas gallery.com (Late Spring 2009)
Bergscustomfurniture.com

C.Boss
Pages: [1]   Go Up