Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HPZ3100 clean reinstall: 2 questions  (Read 2416 times)

walter.sk

HPZ3100 clean reinstall: 2 questions
« on: May 05, 2009, 10:52:07 am »

After my C: drive died and was replaced by Dell, I had the dubious pleasure of reinstalling all of my hardware and software.  I'm running WinXPPro, and it was actually nice to reinstall the Z3100 ps GP from scratch with no remnants of old drivers, firmware or printer software to muck things up.  My 2 questions:

1)  I noticed that the HP-APS software put a Profile Loader into the Startup folder.  I use SpectraViewII for my monitor calibration and profiling, so I removed the shortcut to the APS Profile Loader, fearing the chance of double profiling.  Was I right in doing this?

2)  Somewhat more problematic, I tried using the Printer Utility to get the paper profiles I generated with the Z3100 transferred back to the computer from the printer's hard drive.  I keep getting a message that the printer is off-line or not turned on, even though I can address it from Qimage as well as the internet url (192.168.x.x).  I know I can copy the ICC profile files from a backup drive to my new C: drive, but that still doesn't solve the problem of the Printer Utility saying the printer is not there.  Incidentally, the Printer Utility does find the printer and tell me the status of the ink carts.  The problem comes in the Color tab.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:53:19 am by walter.sk »

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 06:34:32 am »

Hi Walter,
If I understand your message correctly, it seems like I am having the exact problem with a twist!

I am on a Mac using HP APS with the Z3100ps, but I am getting errors in APS Software that prevent me from using HP APS 1.4 with the printer, such as:

The printer is not ready. Please Check the connection.

(I can print to the printer. I can profile using HP Printer Utility. I can see the printer with the HP Monitor, but HP APS v 1.4 is troubled. I am on a wired ethernet network, and haven't had any problems with connections for the nearly 2 years I've had the printer with any software, whatsoever.)

and before that I had received:

Could not retrieve media info from the printer. Please reload the media and start the process again.

After that error, I called support and then had an e-mail volley. I sent screen shots and talked to a HP Engineer, but they haven't helped me.

I tested on two different computers, but the results are the same. I fiddled a lot and that first message went away, but now I consistently receive:

The printer is not ready. Please Check the connection.

As I mentioned, I can still use HP Printer Utility, but am very disappointed by the failure of the HP APS v 1.4 Software.

Another bizarre tale in the saga that is HP Zed Series "Printers with Personalities - horribly tortured ones." And the byline, "They are great, when they are working."

So long for now, TOM

Quote from: walter.sk
I keep getting a message that the printer is off-line or not turned on, even though I can address it from Qimage as well as the internet url (192.168.x.x).

walter.sk

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 10:58:40 am »

Quote from: dandeliondigital
Hi Walter,
If I understand your message correctly, it seems like I am having the exact problem with a twist!

It sure sounds similar.  At least these bugs are cross-platform  

dalethorn

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:59:25 am »

Quote from: walter.sk
It sure sounds similar.  At least these bugs are cross-platform

HP software is the worst. If you're going to do a reinstall on a PC, after uninstalling from Control Panel or HP's uninstall, be sure to remove the folders that the install created (i.e. in Program Files). In some cases I also do a Regedit and remove any keys referencing that install.

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 12:05:18 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
HP software is the worst.

HP is the biggest bad-est inventing-est company out there. How can this be?

I know that the HP APS Software is done by X-Rite. My tech support dealings with them have been a bit better than HP, but to get anywhere with this problem you go through HP. I imagine they are banging the drums to X-Rite. Sigh.

Any suggestions on the Macintosh side of things? Anyone?

Thanks in advance, and so long for now, TOM

walter.sk

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:14:56 pm »

Quote from: dalethorn
If you're going to do a reinstall on a PC, after uninstalling from Control Panel or HP's uninstall, be sure to remove the folders that the install created (i.e. in Program Files). In some cases I also do a Regedit and remove any keys referencing that install.

In my case that was neither necessary nor possible, as this was a "from scratch reinstall after replacing the hard drive and reinstalling WinXP fresh and then the printer/software.

dalethorn

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 07:22:45 pm »

Quote from: dandeliondigital
HP is the biggest bad-est inventing-est company out there. How can this be?

Prior to 1985 that was true. I started buying their equipment in 1975. Today their computers are crap. Their software has always been crap.

Andrew Stagg

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 03:41:32 am »

I found the same problem with the printer not communicating over ethernet - saying it was not connected. I found that downloading the latest drivers and firmware - even if you already have them and reinstalling both solved the problem.

Andrew

walter.sk

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 10:39:46 am »

Quote from: Andrew Stagg
I found the same problem with the printer not communicating over ethernet - saying it was not connected. I found that downloading the latest drivers and firmware - even if you already have them and reinstalling both solved the problem.

Andrew
Hmmm...guess that I'll have to try it.   Thanks.

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 12:41:31 pm »

Quote from: Andrew Stagg

Andrew

Same here - I also include getting the very latest HP Printer Utility in that
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up