Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: roockie question about CR 5.3 output sharpening  (Read 7130 times)

buck50

roockie question about CR 5.3 output sharpening
« on: May 04, 2009, 12:13:01 pm »

I have many images I need to print from four different Canon bodies (Rebel, 20D, 5D, & 1Ds mark 3). The majority of the images were shot in jpeg. The pictures from the 1Ds are DNGs. If I understand what you guys have been saying in other posts, I need to resize all images in PS4 and then open them in CR, set output sharpening parameters in workflow dropdown menu to match DPI numbers from PS at that image size before doing other adjustments to be able to print image straight from CR.

Any suggestions on optimizing workflow for said project would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 02:32:43 pm by buck50 »

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 01:15:51 pm »

What "other adjustments" do you plan to be applying to these images?
Eric Chan

buck50

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 01:57:52 pm »

Quote from: madmanchan
What "other adjustments" do you plan to be applying to these images?

possible adjustments may include; wt. bal, exposure, recovery, tone, color, brightness, contrast, sharpening, chromatic aberration, all that good stuff.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 03:57:26 pm »

Quote from: buck50
I need to resize all images in PS4 and then open them in CR, set output sharpening parameters in workflow dropdown menu to match DPI numbers from PS at that image size before doing other adjustments to be able to print image straight from CR.

At this point in time (hopefully things may change in the future) there's really no viable method of doing what you want to do in Camera Raw...there's not way to resize without resampling (meaning interpolation). So, there's no way for you to set an image for a specific dimension.

When you factor in the different capture sizes (and potentially crops), the task is impossible in Camera Raw's output sharpening. You should prolly look elsewhere for a batch method such as Lightroom or Photoshop using PhotoKit Sharpener.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 03:58:38 pm by Schewe »

buck50

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 04:07:39 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
At this point in time (hopefully things may change in the future) there's really no viable method of doing what you want to do in Camera Raw...there's not way to resize without resampling (meaning interpolation). So, there's no way for you to set an image for a specific dimension.

When you factor in the different capture sizes (and potentially crops), the task is impossible in Camera Raw's output sharpening. You should prolly look elsewhere for a batch method such as Lightroom or Photoshop using PhotoKit Sharpener.

Thx for the feedback. If I wanted to do some of the work in CR, does my explanation of necessary steps (i.e. resizing in PS4 before opening in CR, etc.) in my original post sound correct?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 04:28:42 pm by buck50 »

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 03:35:05 am »

You could of course save your worked images as TIFF's then batch them back through ACR with Output Sharpening turned on. I'm doing that myself though not as batch. Take the PSD file, flatten, resize, save as TIFF then open the same TIFF in ACR, apply output and save. Sounds like more work than it is especially as you can make an easy action to batch it.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 08:31:37 am »

buck50, many of your steps are general output-agnostic steps and hence should ideally be applied to the original full-res image data instead of resized/resampled image data. Only after you've done all the output-independent steps should you begin considering doing resizing/resampling for specific output needs (e.g., web display, 5" x 7" print, etc.)
Eric Chan

Chris Crevasse

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 08:58:35 am »

When is it appropriate to use CR output sharpening?  For a particular print size, I've been setting the CR workflow options to the closest (larger) dimensions at the appropriate PPI, then saving through CR as a jpeg with output sharpening for printing.  I use CR adjustment brushes to add or reduce sharpening.  The output dimensions almost never match the print dimensions perfectly.  Does this work?  Thanks.

buck50

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 01:32:00 pm »

Thanks to all,

so this is my plan after what i have gleamed from your reply's; i'm going to do all adjustments in CR with output sharpening turned to NONE then open images in PS4, resize, save, then reopen in CR with output sharpening on with dpi set to the same as in PS4, resave and print.

Sound good?

thx again,

Peace
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:32:57 pm by buck50 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up