Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workaround for Contax 645 whole stop shutter speeds?  (Read 4459 times)

bradleygibson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 828
    • http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Workaround for Contax 645 whole stop shutter speeds?
« on: April 21, 2009, 09:28:13 am »

I prefer to shoot in manual mode, but I was taken by surprise that the Contax only allows whole shutter stop speeds via the dial.

Unlike the aperture ring where there are 'silent' intermediate stages, this appears to not be the case for shutter speeds...  Any thoughts on how I might get a bit more fine-tuned control?

I tried playing with the exposure compensation in M mode (hoping my shutter speeds would be impacted) but apparently not.  (+/- does flash in the viewfinder, though--does anyone know if this has an effect?)

The Contax will employ half-stop shutter speeds in aperture priority mode, but any help for manual would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Brad
Logged
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Harris Edelman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 148
    • http://
Workaround for Contax 645 whole stop shutter speeds?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 01:15:22 pm »

The exposure compensation dial will set intermediate shutter speeds at 1/3-stop increments only if you're in aperture-priority mode. In conjunction with Automatic Exposure Lock, this might get you where you want to be.

Automatic Bracketing Control adjusts the shutter speed when you're in manual mode. This can get you 1/2 stop over and under the nominal speed, but as part of a nominal-overexposure-underexposure sequence. The bracketing sequence can be aborted, so you'll only have to shoot one extra frame each time if you go this route. I think this is a lousy workaround, and I mention it only to be complete.

If you don't have a copy of the Contax 645 manual, you can download one from Kyocera, here. Exposure compensation is covered starting at page 52.

I have to admit, I never gave the direct setting of intermediate shutter speeds on the Contax much thought before today. Over some four decades with mechanical cameras, I probably picked up some bad habits.


-H.
Logged

James R Russell

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 992
    • http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Workaround for Contax 645 whole stop shutter speeds?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 01:54:43 pm »

Quote from: Harris Edelman
I have to admit, I never gave the direct setting of intermediate shutter speeds on the Contax much thought before today. Over some four decades with mechanical cameras, I probably picked up some bad habits.


-H.

I will also admit I've never noticed the full stop shutter.  In fact I guess I've become so accustom to it, 1/3 stops on other cameras seem annoying.

The Contax is so smooth that hand held at 1/60th doesn't seem to be a problem, even 1/30th is possible, though I wouldn't want to do it every frame.

On the other hand F stops always seem to make a difference to me and even 1/3 can change the look so I like the manual f stop ring.

I guess you just adapt over time.

The Contax can have some annoying quirks, though day in, day out it's bulletproof and unless the batteries run down never and I really mean this, never jams or disconnects.

So I guess you gain something loose something.




JRR


Logged

bradleygibson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 828
    • http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Workaround for Contax 645 whole stop shutter speeds?
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:18:17 am »

Yep, it looks as if I'll have to learn to live with it.  Aside from that one issue, and its healthy appetite for AA batteries (a pain when in the wild for extended periods), this is the camera I've been looking for all this time.  After having been through the Hasselblad V, Hasselblad H, Hy6 and Phamiya cameras, it is nice to use a camera that (aside from the above-mentioned issues) just disappears in my hands.

While we're on the subject of things one might not have noticed, the aperture will respond in 1/3 stops, even though the camera only reads 1/2-stops.  So if you use intermediate f-stops, be aware you're at 1/3 or 2/3, despite the LED readout in the viewfinder telling you you're at 1/2.

Not a big deal, but I found it interesting that it worked that way.

Thanks, guys,
-Brad


Logged
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com

Evanjoe610

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
Workaround for Contax 645 whole stop shutter speeds?
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 12:50:41 pm »

Regarding the battery issue, I am currently using the Lenmar Rechargeable DL2CR5 batteries. In addition, I also have the Quantum Battery 1+ with the Contax cable to assure no stoppage in my  shooting.

Evan

Quote from: James R Russell
I will also admit I've never noticed the full stop shutter.  In fact I guess I've become so accustom to it, 1/3 stops on other cameras seem annoying.

The Contax is so smooth that hand held at 1/60th doesn't seem to be a problem, even 1/30th is possible, though I wouldn't want to do it every frame.

On the other hand F stops always seem to make a difference to me and even 1/3 can change the look so I like the manual f stop ring.

I guess you just adapt over time.

The Contax can have some annoying quirks, though day in, day out it's bulletproof and unless the batteries run down never and I really mean this, never jams or disconnects.

So I guess you gain something loose something.




JRR
Logged

bradleygibson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 828
    • http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Workaround for Contax 645 whole stop shutter speeds?
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 09:54:59 pm »

Quote from: Evanjoe610
Regarding the battery issue, I am currently using the Lenmar Rechargeable DL2CR5 batteries. In addition, I also have the Quantum Battery 1+ with the Contax cable to assure no stoppage in my  shooting.

Evan

I've seen Contax' P8, P8-D as well for extra power.  I remember the DigitalCameraBattery, but I think he went out of business.  Thanks for the heads up on the Quantum 1+ battery.

It just something I have to keep a bit closer eye on than I'm used to, but it's not a big deal.  The whole stop shutter speeds are more troublesome, to be honest.

Thanks, Evanjoe,
-Brad

Logged
-Brad
 [url=http://GibsonPhotographic.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up