Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200 to good a deal to pass up?  (Read 27734 times)

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
HP Z3200 to good a deal to pass up?
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2009, 02:17:27 pm »

Quote from: kuau
Thanks for the info.
I print mostly color lanscape stuff, I know this is all personal choice but what paper would you use?

Steven

I am still searching for my ideal Z3200 / paper combination but these are my thoughts at the moment.

On the Z3200 I might play it safe with Ilford Gallerie Pearl because it gives good blacks, no scratches and is a very good price compared to the Baryta papers.

However I prefer the extra weight of the Baryta papers if only I could find one that gives good blacks and doesn't mark easily. Perhaps the Photorag Baryta will be the answer but I haven't tried it yet.

For Epson I would probably use Ilford Gold Fibre Silk as there are no issues with marks or starwheels.
The catch is the gloss differential which may be ok for personal use but perhaps not ok for exhibition.

I also like Hanemuehle Photorag Ultrasmooth matte prints on the HP or the Epson and my clients love these combinations too.
Ryan Grayley BA IEng MIET ARPS
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2009, 02:58:54 pm »

Quote from: Ionaca
I doubt it as the results look different to my eyes.
The HFA blacks are deeper.

Not even close. I really like the Hahnemuhle papers , especially Photo Baryta , but I'm not particularly thrilled with HP Baryta. While H Baryta sings a good song, tells a story in a way you want to listen into, HP Baryta is off key and the voice is not convincing, nor telling as interesting of a scene.

Not sure about the blacks being so different though....

davewolfs

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2009, 05:54:02 pm »

So any complaints about this printer? One more day to go to take advantage of special pricing, I'm still on the fence about this.  Someone push me over the edge and remind me I won't ever be able to get a printer like this for the price again

abiggs

• http://www.andybiggs.com
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2009, 05:56:23 pm »

No complaints so far! The fan noise is a bit loud on the 3200, and it doesn't turn off when it is in sleep mode. Other than that I really cannot think of something that is a show stopper. Cut sheets are a challenge, especially the smaller ones.
Andy Biggs
[url=http://www.andybiggs.com

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2009, 06:50:58 pm »

Quote from: davewolfs
So any complaints about this printer? One more day to go to take advantage of special pricing, I'm still on the fence about this.  Someone push me over the edge and remind me I won't ever be able to get a printer like this for the price again

Starwheel marks mean that my choice of RC papers is limited.
I also think the Z3200 is ugly.
Otherwise, no complaints (so unlike my Epson 7900).
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

davewolfs

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2009, 10:43:23 pm »

Starwheel marks mean that my choice of RC papers is limited.
I also think the Z3200 is ugly.
Otherwise, no complaints (so unlike my Epson 7900).

If I was worried about how my my computer equipment looked I would have purchased a Mac and for good reason I didn't

So you prefer this printer to your 7900?

davewolfs

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2009, 11:53:31 pm »

Any comments on HP Hahnemühle Smooth Fine Art Paper?  I am eligible for $300 in paper, Pro Satin and Pro Matte Canvas are already on the list, any other recommendations?

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2009, 09:56:30 am »

Any comments on HP Hahnemühle Smooth Fine Art Paper?  I am eligible for $300 in paper, Pro Satin and Pro Matte Canvas are already on the list, any other recommendations?

HP Smooth Fine art is HP's version of Photo Rag. It gives a better results than the Photo Rag on my Z3100. It is my paper of choice for all my matte paper needs.
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2009, 11:50:11 am »

If I was worried about how my my computer equipment looked I would have purchased a Mac and for good reason I didn't

So you prefer this printer to your 7900?

The Z3200 is my first HP after using Epsons since the SP 7000.
It is too soon for me to declare which machine I prefer but the HP is impressing me a lot.
I prefer the canvas results from the HP.
I prefer the GD free RC prints on the HP (even if the choice of starwheel free media is limited).
I haven't had a chance to properly test matte prints on the HP but when I get some spare time that will be next.

If the matte prints are as good as the ESP 7900 then I will have a hard time justifying keeping my Epson printers.
(Hmm, I wonder if ebay is a good way of selling LF printers.)
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

neil snape

« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2009, 12:40:22 pm »

The Z3200 is my first HP after using Epsons since the SP 7000.
It is too soon for me to declare which machine I prefer but the HP is impressing me a lot.
I prefer the canvas results from the HP.
I prefer the GD free RC prints on the HP (even if the choice of starwheel free media is limited).
I haven't had a chance to properly test matte prints on the HP but when I get some spare time that will be next.

If the matte prints are as good as the ESP 7900 then I will have a hard time justifying keeping my Epson printers.
(Hmm, I wonder if ebay is a good way of selling LF printers.)

Actually I don't think you can get much better on matte than the 3200. Easily on par with every other printer. B&W on the 3200 though requires profiles, as the print with grey inks only just doesn't work . Ernst Dinkla says the Roy Harrington grey step wedges help to build a better linearisation with grey scale and the Z printers.

Ryan Grayley

• RGB Arts Ltd
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2009, 06:06:52 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
Actually I don't think you can get much better on matte than the 3200. Easily on par with every other printer. B&W on the 3200 though requires profiles, as the print with grey inks only just doesn't work . Ernst Dinkla says the Roy Harrington grey step wedges help to build a better linearisation with grey scale and the Z printers.

This is very topical for me as I am working on some B&W prints at the moment.

I have read the B&W workflow used by Ernst:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/lo...php/t28046.html

Ernst seems to be using Qimage but what about a Mac Photoshop B&W workflow?
And why is Ernst assigning the gamma 2.2 profile to the image?

What is your recommended B&W workflow for the Z3200?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:36:46 am by Ionaca »
RGB Arts Ltd, London, UK

kuau

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2009, 06:03:03 pm »

Well after having my printer now for a week now, I am really liking it.My only complaint so far is paper loading and having to go behind the machine and load the rolls.
I think what HP should do with there next firmware is when you load paper. the display on the printer should flip around so you can read it from behind, Just an idea.
Another thing I concluded, is though it is nice being able to profile the priner with HP APS software, very easy to use, since I already own Monaco Profiler Pro and a Spectrolino / Scan
which of course is way slower and not as easy. I think I am going to sell the APS software. I am going to post it now in the Buy/Sell forum if anyone is interested. I got a really good deal on it.
Steven

neil snape

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2009, 12:52:14 am »

Quote from: kuau
Well after having my printer now for a week now, I am really liking it.My only complaint so far is paper loading and having to go behind the machine and load the rolls.
I think what HP should do with there next firmware is when you load paper. the display on the printer should flip around so you can read it from behind, Just an idea.
Another thing I concluded, is though it is nice being able to profile the priner with HP APS software, very easy to use, since I already own Monaco Profiler Pro and a Spectrolino / Scan
which of course is way slower and not as easy. I think I am going to sell the APS software. I am going to post it now in the Buy/Sell forum if anyone is interested. I got a really good deal on it.
Steven

They certainly didn't design the printer for our needs as far as paper loading goes. Even the roll diameter change adapters are poorly designed.  Yet you do get used to it and can load rolls quickly after time.

I only load from the front as I don't have space to move the printer around. Doable, some acrobatics involved but again with practise you get used to it and it becomes more efficient in the end.

kuau

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2009, 01:08:00 am »

I am liking the printer more and more. Canvas output is great. I think better then my older Canon IPF8000/8100 I have been using Fredrix 777 canvas and Premiere Eco Print shield Gloss coating and so far so good.  I did some non scientific profile comparisons using color think, and comparing the Fredrix 777 canvas from my canon IPF 8100 and the Z3200, Z3200 color gamut is bigger. Very nice. I am also ordering a roll of Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta just comparing all the "canned" profile this paper has the largest color gamut. Hope it works well for my color landscape photos.

Steven

Roscolo

« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2009, 09:47:55 am »

Take a look at HP Litho Matte, my favorite matte paper.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up