Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment  (Read 3586 times)

Equipment
« on: April 20, 2004, 06:10:53 am »

Digital needs to be treated like slide film in that you need to avoid overexposure. Once the signal on a given pixel reaches 255 there no longer is any information. Same as when a piece of film is overexposed.

For this reason learning to read the histogram is a vital aspect of technique. If you don't utilize the right hand side of the histogram to the greatest extent possible you're throwing away dynamic range.

This means shooting in RAW mode and adjusting exposure so that little except specular highlights are overexposed. The shot will not look its best until you normalize it in the RAW converter, but you'll often gain as much as a stop or two extra dynamic range by doing this.

The rest depends on ones tolerence for noise in the shadows and the ISO used. Of course it also depends on the camera model.

Overall I'd say that a properly exposed and processed RAW image has a bit more dynamic range that transparency film and a bit less than colour negative. But, if you use various techniques and tools that are fairly easy to apply you can get shadow detail and extended dynamic range equal to that of neg film. It just takes a bit more work in post processing. On the other hand doing this is faster than scanning.  ::

Michael

Simon

Equipment
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 05:14:37 am »

Michael,

I am about to convert to digital. I have found your site and links most informative, practical and helpful.

Slide film has a much smaller exposure latitude than print film and cannot record detail in both highlights and shadows in certain situations. I have not seen a review commenting on how digital bridge/SLR cameras compare with film and one another in this respect. Any comments?
Pages: [1]   Go Up