Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tiltall tripod  (Read 5312 times)

masameet

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
Tiltall tripod
« on: April 11, 2009, 03:41:56 am »

Anybody have one and can tell me what is exactly screwed into the bottom of the main tube?

Transported my old Tiltall tripod on my motorcycle and the darned thing screwed out and dropped onto the freeway. At least the rubber gasket stayed on. Didn't even check the thing. Locked in all the other parts that could screw out. Still can't believe I overlooked it.

TIA!
Logged

jjlphoto

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 467
Tiltall tripod
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 10:12:59 am »

Mine is on loan to a friend right now so i can't check. I thought there was a knurled bushing about 1/4" thick, slightly wider than the column, threaded into the column bottom?
Look here for details:
http://www.plumeltd.com/tiltall.htm
Logged
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

schrodingerscat

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 374
Tiltall tripod
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 12:10:12 pm »

Quote from: masameet
Anybody have one and can tell me what is exactly screwed into the bottom of the main tube?

Transported my old Tiltall tripod on my motorcycle and the darned thing screwed out and dropped onto the freeway. At least the rubber gasket stayed on. Didn't even check the thing. Locked in all the other parts that could screw out. Still can't believe I overlooked it.

TIA!

If I remember, the main purpose was to prevent the column from being pulled out. There was also a threaded stud which I think was to allow you to mount the head underneath for doing close to the ground work without having to reverse the whole thing.

It's been awhile since I've fooled with one.
Logged

Valhalla

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
Tiltall tripod
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:47:44 pm »

The center post had room to carry the hand controls after they were unscrewed.  This was done to prevent the handles from sticking out at weird angles.  I'm sure a machine shop can make a new plug or two once they know the dia and thread pitch.
 
Logged

Paul Sumi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1217
Tiltall tripod
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 11:28:53 pm »

Quote from: jjlphoto
Mine is on loan to a friend right now so i can't check. I thought there was a knurled bushing about 1/4" thick, slightly wider than the column, threaded into the column bottom?

My first "serious" tripod was the Leitz Tiltall, bought over 30 years ago.  It has since been put out to pasture in favor of Gitzo carbon fiber legs, but I still have it.  There is indeed a knurled and threaded ring which prevents the center post from being pulled out.

Don't know where/if you can still get spare parts for this, but I believe it is still being made today (by another company than Leitz).

Hope this helps.

Paul
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 11:35:33 pm by PaulS »
Logged

JamesA

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
Tiltall tripod
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 02:27:58 am »

Quote from: PaulS
My first "serious" tripod was the Leitz Tiltall, bought over 30 years ago.  It has since been put out to pasture in favor of Gitzo carbon fiber legs, but I still have it.  There is indeed a knurled and threaded ring which prevents the center post from being pulled out.

Don't know where/if you can still get spare parts for this, but I believe it is still being made today (by another company than Leitz).

Hope this helps.

Paul

It's a basic tripod with a very light and simple head, but it's pretty solid for the mass of the tripod and considering its age.  Legs joints can have a tendency to gall, which isn't too hard to fix.  Cheaper copies of it were made as Star D's I think.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 02:28:33 am by JamesA »
Logged

Jack Varney

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 413
    • http://
Tiltall tripod
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 11:01:32 pm »

I, too, have a Tiltall purchased nearly forty years ago. I recently saw a new one, in gold anodized aluminum, for sale in a Ritz Camera store. Here is a web site where Tiltalls are made and parts may be ordered -

http://www.plumeltd.com/tiltall.htm
Logged
Jack Varney

JamesA

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 37
Tiltall tripod
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 12:48:57 am »

Quote from: Beachconnection
I, too, have a Tiltall purchased nearly forty years ago. I recently saw a new one, in gold anodized aluminum, for sale in a Ritz Camera store. Here is a web site where Tiltalls are made and parts may be ordered -

http://www.plumeltd.com/tiltall.htm

Thanks.  I could have sworn I saw a larger Tiltall than the professional at an historical society camera show.  It's legs were thicker and it was taller (column retracted).  I was in a hurry and when the show came around again, it wasn't there.
Logged

masameet

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13
Tiltall tripod
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 01:59:08 pm »

Wow. Thanks, everyone, for the responses, esp. for the picture of the knurled part. I'll see if I can get the thingee replaced. Stat!
Logged

Gandalf

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 112
Tiltall tripod
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 10:22:25 am »

Quote from: JamesA
Cheaper copies of it were made as Star D's I think.

Yeah, those are shit. I have one that I modified to take a standard ball head, and it is noticeably lighter than the Leitz, but nowhere near as sturdy. I keep the Leitz unmolested. I wish the finish was more durable, but really no complaints. One day I need to save up for modern legs. I have seen the current Tiltalls, but have not inspected them closely enough to offer an opinion.
Logged

NYRich

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 17
Tiltall tripod
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 08:18:42 am »

I guess that a lot of us old timers have memories of the Tiltall.

Mine was a Leitz version that I bought used around 1967 for $25. The owner was moving back to Greece and selling off all of his photo gear. I remember just missing out on a mint Nikon F and105 f/2.5.

Anyway, I used that pod for over 25 years and it never failed me. I gave it to my daughter when she became interested in photography. She, in turn, gave it to a PJ friend who I believe is currently using it in Iraq.

I hadn't seen anyone using a Tiltall in years until a few months ago. While walking through Cerntral Park in NYC I came across a guy who was using one with a 4x5. A bit too light in my opinion but he swears by it.
Logged
Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up