Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop color saturation puzzle  (Read 3536 times)

Tyler Mallory

• http://www.tylermallory.com
Photoshop color saturation puzzle
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:24:14 pm »

Curious little bit of behavior I'm seeing out of Photoshop CS3 on my desktop machine: I had been having the impression that my colors weren't looking accurate on some recent images. They looked desaturated in Photoshop, but not in other viewing apps. I looked through and all my color management was being applied correctly throughout. I finally found that, in the Color Settings section, the "Desaturate Monitor Colors" had been activated, and a desaturation of 17% had been seemingly arbitrarily applied. I of course unchecked it and my problem was solved.
I started working on another set of images again today and noticed the same thing. I went back and looked and, to my surprise, the Desaturate Monitor Colors selection had activated again! Now it read a desaturation level of 10%
I work most often with 8-bit images, when doing simple things like resizing, but on larger projects, working more deeply on an image, I will convert from RAW into 16-bit and work in that environment.
Does anyone know if there's something that triggers Photoshop to initiate that desaturation selection? I can't find any override - or even a mention of it - in Preferences.
My workflow was simply going from selecting a RAW image in Bridge, converting in Camera RAW to a saved 16-bit AdobeRGB TIFF, then opening that file in Photoshop.

jjlphoto

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:09:39 am »

When you un-click the Desaturate Monitor button, did you 'save' that setting? Otherwise, if you select North America PrePress 2 in the top pull-down toggle, the Desaturate Monitor is already unckecked and you don't have to worry about it.

Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

Tyler Mallory

• http://www.tylermallory.com
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:17:31 pm »

John:

Good suggestion on just leaving it in NAprepress. I think my changing around the working colorspace in Custom was to blame.
Thanks for the reply.
Pages: [1]   Go Up