Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR2.3 not listing all colour profiles  (Read 2487 times)

AndyF

LR2.3 not listing all colour profiles
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:43:00 am »

Has anyone solved this kind of problem?  It seems LR needs help in forgetting profiles that have been deleted, and recognizing new ones.  The PC is WinXP.

I used a ColorMunki to generate a new printer profile, and the ICM file is stored in the spool\drv\color folder along with all the other ICC and ICM files.  Elements 5 and CS3 both list the new profile in the Adobe print dialog box.  LR does not list it, after picking "other" to see what should be the complete list.

The colour applet in Control Panel does list it, and reports it's installed.  For some reason it does not have a "name", I don't know if that's relevant.

Another peculiar thing is LR still lists a profile that I have since uninstalled using the colour applet and rebooted.

Is there a way to force LR to rescan the available profiles and discard what might be it's own cache of them, or of their names?

A possibly related question, these files end in ICM while most of the others end in ICC.  Is there a significant difference?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Andy

Pat Herold

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:45:37 pm »

There should not be any difference between .icm and .icc.  Most programs use .icc these days.  You can even manually rename a file to be .icc from .icm and the programs will use it just fine.

I don't have a solution to your main problem with LR, but you should note that the ColorMunki names its profiles via a set naming convention, and with each subsequent profile it makes, the CM system will overwrite the original profile with the new one.  This might get confusing if you don't realize what's going on.

Also, would you be renaming these profiles?  Be aware that renaming a profile in a normal browser may change the profiles "external" name, but the internal profile name will remain the same - and some programs only show you the profile's internal name.
-Patrick Herold
  Tech Support,  chromix.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 03:11:30 am »

Quote from: pherold
Also, would you be renaming these profiles?  Be aware that renaming a profile in a normal browser may change the profiles "external" name, but the internal profile name will remain the same - and some programs only show you the profile's internal name.
May I point out that Microsoft's free 'Color Applet' for XP  allows you to edit both the file name and the internal profile name. Right click on the file name in the profile tab.

AndyF

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:13:42 pm »

Hi Patrick and Rhossy,

Thanks for the suggestions.  Somehow the profile is now appearing in the list of profiles in LR.  Not sure what caused it to appear, and I do like to know how a problem was solved!  Windows restarts and PC power cycles had already been tried.  It's also showing an internal name now, in the color applet list and originally it was unnamed.  There must have been some sequence of PC reboots and LR startups that caused the profiles to be reloaded.

The CM software has evolved.  The current version allows you to specify the paper profile name and that is also used (eventually...) as the internal name.

Now onwards to figuring out why the new CM-generated profile does not result in colours that are as true as Ilford's profile for this printer!

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up