Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider 28mm for canon  (Read 8535 times)

adam z

Schneider 28mm for canon
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:29:02 pm »

Does anyone know anything about this lens?

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/C...79&IID=6263

Since Canons own wide angle lenses are generally a bit, well, ordinary - I am looking for a good alternative under 35mm for landscape work to hopefully match to a 5D MkII

As a bonus (well, it is expensive) this lens offers perspective control which I guess is similar to canons TS-E lenses.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

adam z

Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:54 pm »

Also, is their any talk of Zeiss releasing the 18mm 3.5 Distagon in Canon mount? I am also interested in the 21mm zeiss when it is released in canon mount.

archivue

Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 06:42:40 pm »

about the ZE 18...

but maybe you should wait for the two new TSE 17 and 24...

adam z

Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:04:43 am »

Thanks for that

I am not in a hurry to buy

I wonder if canon will finally have some exceptional wide angle lenses with those - they certainly need it!

EdRosch

Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:15:36 am »

Just a few thoughts.  The price, while high, is in the ballpark of what Canon is going to ask for their new TS's.

Looking at the lens, while it has shift, it looks like it doesn't tilt.  For me that's a deal breaker as I use tilt much more than shift.  For those who are unfamiliar, here's a brief explanation:

As you all know, the focus of a lens can be thought of as a plane that moves forward and back as you focus.   Whatever that plane cuts is in the sharpest focus and as you stop the lens down the effective plane gets thicker so more of the subject is in apparent focus.  This is called depth of field.  ( I realize I'm being very basic here, I just want to be sure we're all on the same page)

For almost all lenses used on DSLR's the focal plane is 'square' or parallel with the image sensor and can only move in and out.  In fact, I'd suspect many photographers think that's the way of the universe.  Not so.  A tilting lens allows you to tilt the focal plane so, for example,  if you have a field of flowers extending from your tripod to the far distance, instead of having to pick a hyperfocal distance, stop down and hope for the best, you can lay the focal plane down onto the field keeping it all sharp.  In that case the depth of field plane thickens along the tilt.

In fact, view cameras combine the tilt with another movement called 'swing' which allows you to twist the focal plane pretty much anywhere you'd like which is what gives them their real power as image capturing tools.  This is impractical for a DSLR lens design but the simple tilt does cover most of the needs and is why I'm waiting to see how the new Canon 24mm TSE works out.

Ed

archivue

Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 04:20:20 pm »

Quote from: EdRosch
J
Looking at the lens, while it has shift, it looks like it doesn't tilt.  For me that's a deal breaker as I use tilt much more than shift.  For those who are unfamiliar, here's a brief explanation:

Ed

TSE means Tilt Shift Electronic...
New TS-E 17 and 24...

EdRosch

Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 05:28:47 pm »

I'm sorry I was unclear.  I was referring to the Schneider lens that was the topic of the original post.  I already own the Canon 90mm TSE so am well aware of their capabilities and am quite eagerly awaiting the release of the 24mm which not only tilts and shifts but can do them in independently of each other which the older versions can not.  My 90 can only shift at right angles to the tilt, which could be factory modified to be in the same axis but that's the only option.  The new ones will be able to independently rotate their tilt and shift controls which will significantly enhance their usefulness.

While all the Canon lenses both tilt and shift, the Schneider lens looks to shift only which, as I indicated, would significantly reduce its utility.  Frankly if I had to chose a lens that would tilt only vs. one that could only shift, I'd take the tilt in a flash!

Ed

adam z

Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 01:58:46 am »

Thanks Ed, I hadn't thought that far into it - looked at the schneider hoping it was a good lens optically, not realy taking into account tili/shift capabilities. Just thought it might be a nice extra to have. I am pretty keen to get a zeiss 21 ze when they come out eventually after a bit of research. If I decide to get myself a lens with movement eventually, I will take the new canons into serious consideration.

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 05:24:50 am »

I have been doing some research on the Zeiss 21mm myself. In fact I've joined up with www.diglloyd.com/ who is currently producing a review on the lens. Well, the ZF version at least. In my opinion he produces the best lens reviews I have seen. Well worth the cost. These ZF and ZE lens appear to be very complex beasts!

Quote from: adam z
Thanks Ed, I hadn't thought that far into it - looked at the schneider hoping it was a good lens optically, not realy taking into account tili/shift capabilities. Just thought it might be a nice extra to have. I am pretty keen to get a zeiss 21 ze when they come out eventually after a bit of research. If I decide to get myself a lens with movement eventually, I will take the new canons into serious consideration.

adam z

Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 04:19:00 am »

Quote from: DaveDn
I have been doing some research on the Zeiss 21mm myself. In fact I've joined up with www.diglloyd.com/ who is currently producing a review on the lens. Well, the ZF version at least. In my opinion he produces the best lens reviews I have seen. Well worth the cost. These ZF and ZE lens appear to be very complex beasts!

Complex in what way?

RohanYoung

Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 07:57:56 am »

Hi. Getting back to the topic again, but does anyone actually have any personal experience with this lens. Schneider 28/2.8 PC. Thanks

Hägar the horrible

• http://www.andidietrich.com
Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 07:17:05 pm »

Quote from: RohanYoung
Hi. Getting back to the topic again, but does anyone actually have any personal experience with this lens. Schneider 28/2.8 PC. Thanks

It is a nice lens if you need to shift. Mechanically it is very well made and even offers a stop down button so that you can quickly open close the aperture to focus the lens.
Optically it is good, shifting over 8-9 mm comes with some edge vignetting and corner sharpness can suffer a bit. The lens is slightly soft wide open and you would want to stop it down to 5.6 unshifted and to about f11 for the wider angle when shifted

RohanYoung

Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 08:52:34 pm »

Hi. Thanks for those details. I also found a reasonably comprehensive review on the diglloyd website. Not particularly flattering and if you are thinking of using it for architecture it suffers from a similar 'barrel' distortion similar to the Nikon 24 PC-E lens.

achrisproduction

Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 08:55:01 pm »

Quote from: adam z
Does anyone know anything about this lens?

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/C...79&IID=6263

Since Canons own wide angle lenses are generally a bit, well, ordinary - I am looking for a good alternative under 35mm for landscape work to hopefully match to a 5D MkII

As a bonus (well, it is expensive) this lens offers perspective control which I guess is similar to canons TS-E lenses.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks
I have the EF 24 f/1.4L Mark II, its stunning tho.  

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
Schneider 28mm for canon
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 09:50:34 pm »

I use all the Nikon PC-E lenses with the D3x.

For the work I do,they are good enough,however not the quality of the Schneider Apo Digitars or Rodenstock HR's.

But now we are talking MFDB which is a whole new ball-game.

Mind you,the 23 and 28 HR's also have some form of distortion,like the Nikon PC-E or the Canon TSE.

At the end of the day,if you want the ultimate,MFDB is the only way,but that comes with a price.

Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up