Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arctic Butterfly and Canon 5D MarkII  (Read 2695 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Arctic Butterfly and Canon 5D MarkII
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:38:46 pm »

We are just about to order a Canon 5d MkII for work and I put in a request for an Arctic Butterfly. With the new dust cleaning system is it still needed. Is it still suitable or is there something better in the price range?

Thanks
Tom Brown

stever

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 12:12:21 am »

i don't think the Artic Butterfly is necessary with ultrasonic cleaning cameras.  however, my Canon cameras have all had "gunk" on the sensor which i attribute to manufacturing lubrication and i recommend cleaning with Eclipse Fluid at 500, 1000, 2000, and 5000 images (i've tried the Visible Dust products and don't think their generally worth the trouble and confusing instructions about which product to use).  If you get something on the sensor after 5000 images that the ultrasonic doesn't shake off, then it's unlikely that the butterfly will work and you'll need fluid and a swab (good idea to blow out the camera first, but not sure that it really makes much difference).

francois

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 03:52:30 am »

Quote from: tom  b
We are just about to order a Canon 5d MkII for work and I put in a request for an Arctic Butterfly. With the new dust cleaning system is it still needed. Is it still suitable or is there something better in the price range?

Thanks
I do not own a 5DII but with 1DsIII bodies, the sensor cleaning system is not all that effective. I still have plenty of dust spots. I ususally use either Eclipse/Sensor swabs orthe  Visible Dust equivalents. Using brushes only produced smears (oily residues?) that had to be cleaned via swabs/fluid...

I've had good results with MKII bodies and Arctic Butterflies but my MKIII seems more "generous" regarding dust/oil/gunk.
Francois

rcdurston

• http://www.durstonphoto.com/
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 05:52:24 am »

My 5dmk2 is constantly riddled with specks and chunks the size of chickens. I rarely change lenses and when I do it is in a "clean" room environment and the sensor is blown several times and manually "sensor" cleaned as well. I used to use the Pec Pad and solution for stubborn stuff on my older bodies but ever since the 40d came out, I've stopped. The 40d is always clean, rarely have any dust but it seems like the larger chip attracts more per capita.
Pages: [1]   Go Up