Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: W/A lenses D3X  (Read 5158 times)

David Watson

• David Watson
W/A lenses D3X
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:25:18 am »

Can anyone help me please?

I have just switched from Canon (1DsMk3/5DMk2) to FX Nikon (D3X/D700) because of ongoing technical problems with sensor orientation and AF issues.  I am very happy with the new Nikon bodies but I am struggling a bit identifying the best prime wide angle lense to buy.  I am looking for a 21/24 mm and a 35mm.  Does anyone have any experience of the Zeiss 21 or 25mm lenses.  Do they work well with Nikon's electronic rangefinder?  Any help would be appreciated.

David Watson
David Watson ARPS

marcmccalmont

W/A lenses D3X
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 11:42:21 am »

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/

A place to start.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

kers

• Pieter Kers
W/A lenses D3X
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 03:20:38 pm »

Quote from: David Watson

I have just switched from Canon (1DsMk3/5DMk2) to FX Nikon (D3X/D700) because of ongoing technical problems with sensor orientation and AF issues.  I am very happy with the new Nikon bodies but I am struggling a bit identifying the best prime wide angle lense to buy.  I am looking for a 21/24 mm and a 35mm.  Does anyone have any experience of the Zeiss 21 or 25mm lenses.  Do they work well with Nikon's electronic rangefinder?  Any help would be appreciated.

David Watson

I am using a D3
the nikkor 14-24mm is a zoom - but still about the best wide angel you can buy.
the 24mm side  is almost without any distortion

the 18mm zeiss in not a good option as Digilloyd pointed out
the 21mm zeiss is not tested there yet.
the zeiss 25mm is also a good lens- I own - it has a quite dark in the corners wide open. it enables you to focus to about 10 cm . I would still prefer the 14-24

see Lloyd Chambers website
http://diglloyd.com/diglloyd/blog.html
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 03:31:02 pm by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

mbridgers

W/A lenses D3X
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 03:40:46 pm »

Pete Myers talks about the Zeiss 35mm on the red dog journal:
http://reddogjournal.com/PM-2.php

David Watson

• David Watson
W/A lenses D3X
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:14:28 am »

Thanks guys - that is all really helpful.  I will read everything and make a decision (or not)

Best wishes

david
David Watson ARPS

kielinski

• Kielinski Photographers
W/A lenses D3X
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:31:15 am »

Thanks guys - that is all really helpful.  I will read everything and make a decision (or not)

Best wishes

david

I use the Zeiss 25, 35 and 100mm lenses all the time on my D700 (previously on a D2x).  I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the 21mm (although purchasing it will take a big chunk away from any D3x funds I might be amassing).  I purchased a KatzEye split prism focusing screen for the D2x - it proved invaluable when using manual focus lenses.  I don't have much of a problem focusing with the larger viewfinder of the D700, but I ordered a split prism screen for it anyway.  Should be here in a few days.

The 25 is a great lens.  I used it just yesterday to photograph some test tubes in studio and it's close focusing ability was great.  Great color rendition, very sharp.  The 35 performs very similarly, there's just the obvious focal length difference.

I haven't read the links posted above but hopefully they mention how well all of the Zeiss lenses mentioned deal with flare.  It's definitely been my experience.

David Watson

• David Watson
W/A lenses D3X
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:54:05 pm »

Thanks again

I love the Zeiss lenses but I have been so impressed with the Nikon 24-70 that I think I will wait for the 21mm.

Best wishes

David
David Watson ARPS

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
W/A lenses D3X
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 02:43:26 am »

Hi,

You may check the following pages by Lloyd Chambers:

http://www.diglloyd.com/prem/index.html

http://www.diglloyd.com/diglloyd/infos/Zei...nses/index.html

These pages cost a couple of dollars but they are clearly worth it in my view. I actually bought both without owning a single Nikon or Zeiss lens (actually not true I have an old 28/3.5 PC Nikkor and a couple of "ZA" lenses for my Sonys, but I don't think they count).

As far as Nikon goes it seems that the 14-24/2.8 is a killer lens which may be better than either Nikon or Zeiss primes in most respects. In general Mr. Chambers seems to have found the Zeiss lenses to be superior to Nikon and Canon offerings. Some observations from his test reports_

1) There is a significant sample to sample variation with lenses and the Zeiss ZF-line is no exception to that.
2) Wide angles can be tricky to evaluate because of field curvature issues. The plane of best focus is seldom very flat so when you are shooting 3D targets the field curvature may bend the results, in your favor or not.  That said, Mr. Chambers also shot test targets.

Best regards
Erik

David Watson
Erik Kaffehr

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
W/A lenses D3X
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 04:53:05 pm »

With my D3x(owesome) I currently use:

14-24 Nikkor (Great lens,does have barrel distortion that easily can be fixed)
Nikkor 24+45+85 PC'E lenses.
Zeiss ZF35+ZF85+ZF100

Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up