Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D II,H264 and Apple Prores  (Read 51003 times)

BobH

5D II,H264 and Apple Prores
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:43:17 am »

Hi,

After a discussion last night on editing Canon 5D Mark II movies, I converted a short movie (180 MB) from native (H264) to Apple Prores 422 using Quicktime player. The transcoded movie (no compression, 10 bit:4.2.2) ballooned to 6.1 GB (roughly 30x file growth).

I want to do movie editing in Final Cut Express. But I am concerned about the file size growth and whether any reasonable movie can be edited on 'normal' computer equipment. I am using a Mac Pro quad 2.66 with 10 GB RAM. Hard drive space is 1 TB+.

Are there any other converters (open source rather than FCP's Compressor) that will yield smaller files for editing? Also, will the software just spool the excess to disk as needed. My prior video experience is slight.

Bob

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:04:43 pm »

You are going from a  fairly compressed format, H264, to an uncompressed format, thus the huge change in size
There is little need to export as Uncompressed 422 video unless you are doing major manipulations and/or intend using the footage in broadcast. This format will also make your editing particularly cumbersome. Try exporting using the AppleProRes 422 (not HQ) codec at 1920 x 1080. This should result in easily handled files in FCP Express, no loss of detail and the size will be about 5 x the originals.

JMCP

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 12:19:09 pm »

Hi Bob,

just to confirm what Chris was saying, the non HQ version is a lot smaller than the HQ version and is virtually indistinguishable, here is a link that provides some info and testing on prores that might help.

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/app..._a_closer_look/

Cheers John
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 01:34:40 pm by JMCP »

Michael Schoenfeld

• Michael Schoenfeld
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 07:12:40 pm »

My suggestion is  Mpeg Streamclip

http://www.squared5.com/

Excellent utility, free, allows batch processing, converts to and QT codec you have installed - I convert directly from the card to the computer - 1 step

It is the front end workflow for my 5DII movie work - indispensable.

All the best,

Michael Schoenfeld

scubastu

• www.final-frame.com
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 04:12:08 pm »

Michael,

What settings do you use for Streamclip?

I'm looking at doing some basic editing in Adobe Premiere Elements  7

thanks!

Stewart

Quote from: Michael Schoenfeld
My suggestion is  Mpeg Streamclip

http://www.squared5.com/

Excellent utility, free, allows batch processing, converts to and QT codec you have installed - I convert directly from the card to the computer - 1 step

It is the front end workflow for my 5DII movie work - indispensable.

All the best,

Michael Schoenfeld

timescapes

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 07:59:09 pm »

Quote from: Chrissand
You are going from a  fairly compressed format, H264, to an uncompressed format, thus the huge change in size

Prores is NOT uncompressed.

BobH

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 12:19:31 pm »

Hi Chris,

A follow up to our discussion yesterday.

Attempts to install the Apple Quicktime Prores decoder 1.0 from dmg file failed on all four drives in my Mac Pro. This was not a surprise as the decoder codec was present in QT 7.5, according to Apple. I am using QT 7.6 (472). This decoder install failure was expected.

To verify video functioning I changed video cards from ATI 3870 to 1900. Same result - expected. The video card is not the problem. The ATI 3870 is an aftermarket card while the 1900 is Apple sourced. Drivers for both cards are present in 10.5 and later.

My QT Export options window shows a variety of codecs. Prores 422 is not among them. To verify that my system was not behaving erratically I installed the AVID codec. The codec list in QT Export added the AVID format options. I have attached the screen capture as Picture 1.

MPEG Streamclip has a more extended list of available codecs when exporting to QT. I have attached the codec list as Picture 2.

It appears that there is no way to get the Prores 422 or Prores 422 HQ codec into my machine except by buying FCS 2 or later. I cannot find a source of the codec or of Compressor 3 available on the web.

I am not sure how you got the codec onto your Macbook Pro except by using FCP. Is there another codec (preferably one from the Streamclip list) that you can recommend for editting 5DII files in FC Express?

Obviously the No Compression, 10 bit 4.2.2 codec is not an option.

Thanks for spending the time yesterday. The Epson sessions were generally excellent.

Bob

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 05:56:31 pm »

You could try Apple's Intermediate Codec. I have used it  with some success as an editing codec going from HDV when mixing in other formats. Try a short piece and check the quality carefully.

sant091093

Re: 5D II,H264 and Apple Prores
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 02:06:04 am »

h.264 mov from canon 5d ii is a kind of mvi.mov format, such format can not accepted by FCP, or FCE. Convert Canon MOV to ProRes will let you get uncompressed videos with pristine quality, but in big size. So will AIC codec. If you want to get smaller size video, i still recommended h.264 mov, but you need convert original canon 5d h.264 mov to mac compatible h.264 mov. The quality is exactly the same. and You can search on line by keyword convert canon 5d mov to h.264 mov to find a right one.

Reza Mehr

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:52:00 am »

Hi friends.
I am a cinematographer and I shoot with 5D mark II and 7D and I am using Pc. Witch convertor can I use for decoding my shots?
Did Apple released PC version of Apple prores?
Thanks guys 

fredjeang

Re: 5D II,H264 and Apple Prores
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 10:29:41 am »

Hi friends.
I am a cinematographer and I shoot with 5D mark II and 7D and I am using Pc. Witch convertor can I use for decoding my shots?
Did Apple released PC version of Apple prores?
Thanks guys  
That I know no. And it's been a problem discussed here in the motion section.

I'm also on PC and Avid Media Composer 5 reads perfectly prores or any native file from those devices. Edius 6, a very good NLE also. Don't know about the latest Premiere Pro. So you can edit any Prores you want but what you can not do is export in Prores. This is that I know Apple's exclusive.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 10:31:55 am by fredjeang »
Pages: [1]   Go Up