Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Display calibration: Single-click?  (Read 2835 times)

scottbel

Display calibration: Single-click?
« on: March 12, 2009, 08:33:52 am »

I'm looking at the LaCie 320 LCD display and need advice on whether to purchase the bundle containing their blue eye pro colorimeter and calibration software.

I currently have and use an X-rite EyeOne Pro spectrophotometer and EyeOne Match 3 software to both calibrate displays and build CMYK printer profiles.

LaCie says that using software other than their's requires that you set the White Point by manually adjusting the RGB gain, something their tools do automatically. Which path is better? I'm not afraid to spend the money on another device, but don't want to if the results (display profiles) are no better.

Thanks.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:33:43 am »

While you can't go wrong using the display manufacturer's bundle, what they're telling you essentially is that their stuff (depending on your video card) pretty well assures DDC compliance, whereas other stuff may not. And it's a fair statement. Adjusting the RGB gain manually is doable of course - I had to do that with my LaCie 321 because DDC wouldn't work with my non-LaCie calibration and profiling package - while I came close to target values the process was a real pain. These controls and their responses are not totally controllable or user-friendly.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

scottbel

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 10:58:29 am »

Quote from: MarkDS
While you can't go wrong using the display manufacturer's bundle, what they're telling you essentially is that their stuff (depending on your video card) pretty well assures DDC compliance, whereas other stuff may not. And it's a fair statement. Adjusting the RGB gain manually is doable of course - I had to do that with my LaCie 321 because DDC wouldn't work with my non-LaCie calibration and profiling package - while I came close to target values the process was a real pain. These controls and their responses are not totally controllable or user-friendly.

Thanks Mark. I guess my next question is regarding my video card. I'm using a Dell Precision M6300 mobile workstation with an NVIDIA Quadro FX 1600M integrated adapter. How can I tell if DDC works with that hardware?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 01:11:25 pm »

You can't unless the provider of your calibration/profiling bundle has tested the card for your display and O/S and listed it as a tested product which works. Failing that, it's trial and error.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 03:09:54 pm »

Quote from: scottbel
I'm looking at the LaCie 320 LCD display and need advice on whether to purchase the bundle containing their blue eye pro colorimeter and calibration software.

It might be worth your while checking out the experience in the thread below regarding the LaCie 319. Mark helped out there, and I feel pretty comfortable with the situation I have now.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up