Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: waterton and glacier national park  (Read 7563 times)

michael g. o'callaghan

waterton and glacier national park
« on: July 27, 2005, 12:23:20 am »

I have enjoyed several trips to Glacier and Waterton over the years.  I have enjoyed several overnight backpacking trips and hiked over 140 miles of the trails there.  Avalanche Gorge is an easy hike, wheel chair accessible and is a premier spot IMHO in North America (how's that for a grandious statement).  NOTE: low light levels at the gorge, tripod is essential, some faster film or preferable quality digital at 400+ ISO likely needed.  

i did not see info re: the equipment you'll be shooting with.  The nice hike to Avalanche Lake is worth your while.  Lakes to shoot include the classic St. Mary's shot, Lake MacDonald in foggy morning light, and many other options.  

In a trip of a week or so duration, I'd suggest that you pick an area or two and enjoy that and leave the rest for another trip (or you'll go nuts!).  Take the Going to the Sun road EARLY and avoid the big delays.  Take time to enjoy high tea at the Prince of Wales hotel (worth the bucks and the calories!). A nice day hike is the highline trail with a drop off at Logan Pass.  

Do beware of grizzly bears in this area. One of the higher rates of attacks on humans unfortunately.  Enjoy!

Rich Franco

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 12:22:18 pm »

Just got back last night from 11 days out in Glacier. It's too big a park to try and cover it all in your alotted time frame. We stayed a few days on the east side, Swiftcurrent Inn, couldn't get into Many Glacier Hotel, maybe October they said. Then over to West Glacier, stayed a few days at the Belton, $$$, then moved 2 blocks to the Highland, $88/night, rm#16. No A/C anywhere, and it was hot, but all the rooms had fans.

As far as photos, you could spend a day up at Logan's Pass, walk to Hidden Lake overlook, on the way back, hike down to the Triple Falls,(only 2 really had any water coming out), flowers are great and down from the visitor center, Bear Grass all over on the hill on the left leaving the center. Avalanche Gorge was great and the best shots were from the rocks off the trail by the end of the wooden railing up to the top,on the way to the lake,(didn't go to the lake, just spent hours around the Gorge).

Finally, lots of traffic, construction to and from Logan's Pass, and mid-day, L.P. parking lot is closed,(Full), and may have to hike up to the center to get on the boardwalk trail to the Hidden Lake overlook.
 Rich

jayz

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 12:26:53 am »

i'm planning to go to waterton and glacier park next month and was hoping to get some advice on shooting locations.
i'm interested in shooting some lake reflections, what are the best lakes to shoot in the region?  what are the best spots for a short 3 to 4 day trip?

also appreciate some advice on places to stay.  in the waterton canadian side, there appears to be places in the townsite, but not so sure what towns are close to the us side.

jayz

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 05:55:27 pm »

i wasn't able to find any accomodations in Glacier national park.  will be staying in waterton.

is it a long ways to the Avalanche Gorge waterfalls from Waterton?  is ther a a long hike to the waterfall?  is this close to the going to the sun road?

does anyone know where Lake Sherbourne is?? (waterton or Glacier?) if in glacier, is this close to the going to sun road?

since i'm staying on the canadian side, i'm going to have to drive back and forth each day from glacier and waterton, so want to get a sense of how much time is needed - for hiking out to a location + driving time.

this also means i'll probably have to do sunrise shooting in waterton - any suggestions on which lakes would be best options (in terms of reflections/lighting/mist)?

jdlevy

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 01:01:40 am »

jayz,

It is probably about 50 miles or so from Waterton to just the eastern entrance to the US Glacier portion of the park. You will have to go through the border crossing. You might want to make sure that they are open if you want to come across pre-dawn.

Here are some pix from my visit a few years ago. The goat picture was taken at Logan pass. Glacier and Waterton pix

Almost any lake is going to give you some good reflection opportunities, but Mike has highlighted the classics for you. Beware, Mike is in great shape. An easy hike for him may not be for you.
David
 My

Digiteyesed

• http://www.neutralhillsstills.ca/
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 06:28:10 am »

Most of the elevated shots of the lake are taken from Bear's Hump, which is quite a hike -- good luck convincing the wife to go on that one. Still, it's worthwhile if you're up to a bit of exercise. Also worth mentioning is Red Rock Canyon, which is absolutely gorgeous.

George Barr

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 09:08:15 pm »

Waterton is our favourite park to visit, not bad for photography. Red Rock Canyon is a must (you can park right there, Cameron Falls is right in town, Bertha Falls (upper and lower) aren't too much of a hike. Cameron Lake is pretty and can rent canoes - the far end is known for Grizzlies, The bears hump hike is just outside of town and is short but with lots of steps upward but the view is awsome. Best early morning. I'm 55 and overweight and I made it up. Lots of spots I haven't visited yet - Goats Haunt (far end of Waterton Lake) and Crypt Lake (you need to take the commercial boat trip to get to both. The three hour pony treck is great.

Good Luck,
George

wjy

• http://www.billyyunck.com
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 04:07:03 pm »

I live in Whitefish which is about 30 minutes from the west side entrance and 90 minutes from the east side entrance of Glacier.  The Belton chalet is right at the west entrance and it is a nice historic motel, it has a nice restaruant and tap room as a bonus.  A little cheaper with a 30 minute drive gives you a whole bunch of choices in Whitefish.  I would try Kintla lake or Bowman both accessed by the North fork road.  It is like a back entrance to the Park and less often photographed than lake Macdonald and St Mary.  Iceburg lake is also neat but you need a wide angle as it is surrounded by cliffs.  It has ice floating on it year round.  It is beautiful up there, you really can't go wrong.  The East side uf the Park is often windy, so glassy lake reflections are harder to get over there.

b2martin

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 05:01:33 pm »

We spent 10 days in the park last year.  I suggest you look at the park lodges - Lake Mcdonald Lodge and Many Glacier Lodge.  I don't know if you will find anything available - we reserved rooms about 8 months early.

jayz

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 01:51:00 pm »

Michael/jdlevy thanks for the suggestions.

i liked your Lake Macdonald and st mary's lake photos.
i'm only going to have three days and i'm staying in waterton on the canadian side.

do you think, i'll have enough time to do the going to the sun road, lake shelbourne, lake macdonald, st mary's lake. avalanche falls. i still need to get a map to determine a schedule of what days to schedule for each location.

How still are St Mary's lake and lake macdonald?  most photos have a lot more movement.

i'll have to check to see what time the border crossing opens to determine how early in the morning i can get to the US side to get there early enought to hopefully get still water and some mist on the lakes.

any suggestons for early morning (depending on when i can cross the border) or sunset times for these locations would also be appreciated.

i'll be shooting with an Elan 7, 16-35, 24-70, 70-200 and a two time converter plus the usual grad/polarizer filters which isn't a lot to carry - but i've also got the wife;) - who doesn't want to hike too much

camilla

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 11:04:07 pm »

I'm definitely no expert in the area but from the couple of visits to Waterton I can say that in my opinion it's a marvelous place to explore and photograph. Red Rock Canyon is indeed wonderful and we had several bear sightings along the road leading to it. Even the bisons are a great way to spend a couple of hours photographing. What I do find is that traveling every day to Glacier is really a problem because of the distance and customs, traffic and the aggravation that you will feel being all that time in the car instead of relaxing doing what you love to do! I applaud the suggestions made by other guests about the area surrounding Glacier and reasonable accomodations on that side. I would still visit Waterton though!
Enjoy the trip!
Pages: [1]   Go Up