Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 1.4 Tele-extender: Old vrs. New  (Read 1584 times)

sabatia

Canon 1.4 Tele-extender: Old vrs. New
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:22:24 pm »

I've been shooting for quite a long time and have the older Canon 1.4 tele-extender. I mostly use it with my 70-200L f4 is and my older 300 f4(a very sharp lense on a tripod). I shoot a 50D and XSi and have seen no image degradation or information problems that I can discern. But I have been told that version II is a must with the newer lenses, like the 70-200. Am I missing something? Or is there just a different inside lens barrel coating to cut down on ghosting and flare, making a marginal difference to a careful shooter? Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 06:23:45 pm by sabatia »

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:36:48 am »

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/...x_ef1_4xii.html

"Both Canon extenders feature the same exceptional levels of water- and dust-resistance as are found in the company's flagship professional-model EOS-1V AF SLR camera, and IS-type super-telephoto lenses, whichare equipped with an Image Stabilizer to correct for the effects of camera shake. The revamped optical systems employed in the new extenders realize even higher image quality than the previous Canon Extender EF1.4X and Extender EF2X models, launched in November 1988 and October 1987, respectively."

Nigel Johnson

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:56:47 pm »

Sabita

The Canon Technical Report covering the EF1.4X II and EF2X II extenders states:

[blockquote]"With five elements in four groups, the optical system of the EF1.4X II (see Fig. 5) is exactly the same as that of the previous EF1.4X; however, the improved features such as new anti-reflection construction inside the barrel and edge-blackening of the lens elements reduce flare, providing even clearer image quality than the EF1.4X."

source: http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/tech/re...109/200109.html[/blockquote]

Note that the EF2X II extender has a redesigned optical system.

I hope this is useful.

Nigel
Pages: [1]   Go Up