Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya DL28??  (Read 12758 times)

lisa_r

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2009, 04:38:53 pm »

Thanks a lot Doug! What you have described makes more sense now. I wonder if tricks like you have used as examples here are in the manuals...seems like they should be. Of course whether or not people actually read the manuals is another story ;-)

For the record, I have owned two Leaf backs in the past, but have been shooting primarily Canon for the past 4 years or so.

I guess if you do have dealers who know their stuff this is worth some money. Not sure how much though. One of the dealers I have been working with (not Calumet) - when I went in to test the Phase P30 last year, he could not keep the camera connected, had the wrong viewfinder mask installed, battery died, etc...it was not impressive. Not the guy I would like to get on the phone if I am in a bind on a high pressure shoot.

Anyway, thanks all. I think I have enough info now to make some decisions.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 05:06:15 pm »

Quote from: lisa_r
Thanks a lot Doug! What you have described makes more sense now. I wonder if tricks like you have used as examples here are in the manuals...seems like they should be. Of course whether or not people actually read the manuals is another story ;-)

By the time the manual is written it is already out of date. 10.5.2 (released Feb 10th) is what caused the Canon dSLR tethering issue that I used as an example. So Feb 10th the problem did not exist and on Feb 11th it did. If you either updated your computer (and it's always a good idea to hold off on any update until it's been in the field a few weeks) or rented a computer which had been updated then there was no manual in the world that would or could have saved you.

In digital things move very fast.

Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer  |  Personal Portfolio
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:06:41 pm by dougpetersonci »

dwdmguy

• http://
Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 10:46:31 pm »

You can have your camera back in 5 days from canon with shipping???????
Doubt it. Very Highly. I live 20 min from their repair in NJ, before I dumped canon I would drop off gear and never have it back in less then 10 days even for a cleaning of sensor. From what I hear, Canon is rolling downhill quite fast on all fronts. I sold all my gear after spending a lot of time with the 5D MkII. Next day, sold my 10years plus worth of gear because I was fed up. There is a lot of different views to be made for the OP but Canon Service is not one of them.....

Now, the DL28. I demo'ed this camera and had it for two weeks. The Leaf 65s back was just simply outstanding on all fronts. The AFDIII was quite the opposite. The shutter lag drove me nutz which I understand is better now with the 1.5 upgrade. But be aware, to upgrade the AFDIII you have to send the body back to Elmsford, NY and it's a bit of a process to get 'er done. I had to be done with it as it was not for me. (the AFDIII is the PhaseOne DL28 body)

t

Thanks for you input Steve. I was comparing used price cited in this thread to used price from a dealer in my neighborhood. I don; think that is unfair.

Of course everyone has a right to profit. But I have a right to find a good deal too.  Especially when friends of mine are losing clients right and left is this busted economy.

Steve: "Everyone knows what buying from a warrantied product from a quality dealer gets you, "

I am honestly still not clear as to what the "service" is going to do for me. If I am on a job and the thing breaks, waiting for a backup to arrive from the dealer is obviously not an option. (I dust off my Canon and use that...)
So what am I gaining? Clearly I can pack up the back and ship it to Phase/Leaf myself if it breaks (without dealer involvement), right? When my Canon breaks, I put it in a box and send it to Canon on Monday, and I have it back by that Friday, fixed. From my perspective, where is the $4000 advantage with the back dealer vs. ebay? This is a serious question, by the way.

And I may get the back from a dealer, I just want a better price. Or Ebay looks pretty good.

*I will ask if they will give out loaners even if nothing breaks. Like maybe I could have one to take on trips out of town, for just in case. (like a free rental.) Now that would be worth some money.

dwdmguy

• http://
Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 10:56:25 pm »

I have to ask this lisa, I've not seen the Value adds you speak of..but,
I have no idea what their margins are but can you not have this added for free?

What is really in the value add? Would they not be using your existing wty and just be a middle man with a direct link and possibly faster service. I mean, UPS, Fed ex et. al. and it's there in the next AM. I'm sure they would have a loaner in stock. Sorry, I'm not too sure what the value add is? And how much was it? Or were you thinking of buying from a dealer because of their value add?

Either way, do you need to see a file from the DL28?

Tom

James R Russell

• http://www.russellrutherford.com/
Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2009, 11:21:52 pm »

Quote from: dwdmguy
You can have your camera back in 5 days from canon with shipping???????
Doubt it. Very Highly. I live 20 min from their repair in NJ, before I dumped canon I would drop off gear and never have it back in less then 10 days even for a cleaning of sensor. From what I hear, Canon is rolling downhill quite fast on all fronts. I sold all my gear after spending a lot of time with the 5D MkII. Next day, sold my 10years plus worth of gear because I was fed up. There is a lot of different views to be made for the OP but Canon Service is not one of them.....

Now, the DL28. I demo'ed this camera and had it for two weeks. The Leaf 65s back was just simply outstanding on all fronts. The AFDIII was quite the opposite. The shutter lag drove me nutz which I understand is better now with the 1.5 upgrade. But be aware, to upgrade the AFDIII you have to send the body back to Elmsford, NY and it's a bit of a process to get 'er done. I had to be done with it as it was not for me. (the AFDIII is the PhaseOne DL28 body)

t

I have had the shutter replaced on a 1ds2 by Canon in Irvine in one day, so, 3 days with shipping, for free with an out of warranty camera.

I Hong Kong they replaced a sensor on one of my 1ds3's in one day, to them by 10am, back by 6pm.

To be fair LOA and Leaf also have good service and turn around usually in a day or two.

Now also to be fair, I've never had to have any one of my two phase backs serviced.

G_Allen

• http://www.plasticimage.com
Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2009, 11:35:53 pm »

Quote from: James R Russell
I have had the shutter replaced on a 1ds2 by Canon in Irvine in one day, so, 3 days with shipping, for free with an out of warranty camera.

I Hong Kong they replaced a sensor on one of my 1ds3's in one day, to them by 10am, back by 6pm.

To be fair LOA and Leaf also have good service and turn around usually in a day or two.

Now also to be fair, I've never had to have any one of my two phase backs serviced.

I just had my shutter in my 1Ds II replaced for $477 and 2 weeks, from Canon Irvine. Your mileage may vary.

And, also to be fair, Phase replaced my P30+ (killed by a botched firmware upgrade) immeditately.  And my H2 has had zero issues. I wish I could still buy them.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:37:52 pm by G_Allen »

yaya

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 03:35:41 am »

Quote from: yaya
Lisa hi I can send you some files, please let me know if there is any specific type of images that you are after and if you need raw or processed files.

Four pluses for the DL-28 are image quality, speed, compatibility with view cameras and MAC group's excellent service.

BR

Yair

Hi Lisa,

I've PM'ed you with a link for downloading files. Hope this helps

Yair

elitegroup

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 05:50:37 am »

Quote from: G_Allen
I just had my shutter in my 1Ds II replaced for $477 and 2 weeks, from Canon Irvine. Your mileage may vary.

And, also to be fair, Phase replaced my P30+ (killed by a botched firmware upgrade) immeditately.  And my H2 has had zero issues. I wish I could still buy them.

The Hasselblad H2 Camera kit is now a permanent re-listed item on B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3989...Format_SLR.html

Also Hasselblad offer comprehensive support for the H2 up to 2 years extended warranty (on top of factory warranty) more info here http://www.hasselblad.com/service--support...-care-plan.aspx

lisa_r

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 10:09:52 am »

dwdmguy: My Canons have been back from NJ within a week for years now. I think your problem was you were not writing CPS on your box ;-)

As to the Mamiya, yes, the shutter lag is an issue and really turned me off the first few times I shot with it. Not good for people photography.

Anyone know if Hassy has dealt with their Mirror Slap Issue? I think my most likely path now is to purchase the H1/2 and go from there. It's a little clunky, but the AF seems to be the best of the lot. And the lenses aren't bad either.

yaya, thanks for the files. I'll have a look.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 10:12:05 am by lisa_r »

JDBFreeheel

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 10:35:52 am »

As to the Mamiya, yes, the shutter lag is an issue and really turned me off the first few times I shot with it. Not good for people photography.

Lisa, are you sure you've tested a DL28 kit (or AFDIII or PhaseOne Phamiya) with the most recent firmware?  The shutter lag is virtually non-existent now.  Maybe not as fast as pro-level Canons and Nikons but we're talking micro-seconds at that point.  The lag that used to exist on the AFD bodies was truly awful and is the lone reason for my upgrading. But with my current DL28 kit with the AFDIII body, I'm satisfied with the improvement.

-Josh

lisa_r

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 10:43:30 am »

Josh, no I have not used the latest body, though a friend who owns it told me that the lag is still there to some extent.
Anyway I will likely get the H because the AF seems to be best, not because of  the lag per se.

So, anyone know if the H mirror SLAP issues were resolved and how they were resolved?

James R Russell

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 11:05:01 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
Of course, I work for a dealer; so I'm openly biased. Please consult with others who have made similar switches. Ask our customers if they think they have gotten their money's worth. That's the proof. You'll probably find a small handful who are not happy (no company has 100% satisfaction), but you will find hundreds more who are very happy they went through a dealer.

Doug,

A question on warranty.   Can a user purchase an extended warranty on a Phase back(s), after it has gone out of warranty and if so what is the costs in the U.S. ?

Not the value added, just straight warranty and is the warranty transferable to a new owner?

Thx.

Joe Behar

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 11:42:00 am »

Doug,

A question on warranty.   Can a user purchase an extended warranty on a Phase back(s), after it has gone out of warranty and if so what is the costs in the U.S. ?

Not the value added, just straight warranty and is the warranty transferable to a new owner?

Thx.

I'll chime in till Doug comes around.

Yes, you can buy extended warranties in both the classic 1 year and value added 3 year versions on your back even after the original warranty has expired.

I will not comment on US prices as we are in Canada.

James R Russell

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 12:14:15 pm »

Quote from: Joe Behar
I'll chime in till Doug comes around.

Yes, you can buy extended warranties in both the classic 1 year and value added 3 year versions on your back even after the original warranty has expired.

I will not comment on US prices as we are in Canada.

Joe,

thx.

question, regardless if where the warranty is purchased, U.S., europe, Canada, can it be transfered if the backs are sold to someone in another country?

Once again, thx.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2009, 06:13:42 pm »

Joe,

thx.

question, regardless if where the warranty is purchased, U.S., europe, Canada, can it be transfered if the backs are sold to someone in another country?

Once again, thx.

Phase One honors warranties based on the serial number, not on the owner. Unless the back is listed as stolen anyone (meaning the old or new owner) can request a warranty repair on a back for which a warranty remains.

You should contact a dealer in your country to get pricing in your currency (the warranty does not have to be purchased from the dealer from which the back was originally purchased).

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 06:14:21 pm by dougpetersonci »

footoograaf

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 07:26:28 am »

Doug,

Thanks for clarification. How can someone check if DB is stolen or not.

lisa_r

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 07:33:54 pm »

So, anyone know if the H mirror SLAP issues were resolved and how they were resolved? And on which bodies?

elitegroup

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 12:06:33 am »

So, anyone know if the H mirror SLAP issues were resolved and how they were resolved? And on which bodies?

The latest firmware version 9.4.1 includes the delayed mirror issue in the Hasselblad H2 Camera.

More info here http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=29694

lisa_r

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 09:29:52 am »

Anyone know if this mirror delay fix works with the H1? I couldn't tell from reading that chart.

JDBFreeheel

Mamiya DL28??
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 11:08:43 am »

Lisa,

Do you have the opportunity to rent these different systems and try them out?  Or access to different sales reps that would let you demo them?  The reason I ask is that I get the sense that you want to fully research your different options.  I'm right there with you!  As a DL28 user, I can provide my own experiences but my hunch is that if you're anything like me, you won't be happy until you've played with the different systems and decided what feels right.  

Back when I owned a Mamiya ZD back, I bought it sight unseen.  I used it with my Mamiya AFD camera body which I had owned for a while and knew well.   So, while I was aware of the pluses and minuses of the AFD, the ZD was new territory for me.  After a number of issues (well discussed on these boards), I decided to try out a few different systems.  I didn't play with the Hasselblad (because I already had Mamiya lenses that I didn't want to get rid of and buy into the more expensive H lenses).  But I did test a Phase back as well as a Leaf.  Ultimately, I liked both but just 'felt' better with the Leaf.  Combined with a good deal, that's what I went for.  

In your case, since you're considering multiple systems, I can only suggest that you get some solid shooting time with the different systems (be it Mamiya, Phase, Hasselblad H, H2, H3, Leaf, etc) and make a pro/con chart for yourself.  

Ultimately, I think it's the only way to go about a purchase (and potentially dealer relationship) of this magnitude.

Good luck,

Josh
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up