Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One - is the PRO version worth the extra $$$  (Read 28947 times)

douglasf13

Capture One - is the PRO version worth the extra $$$
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 02:17:53 pm »

Quote from: frugal
Quick question about the JPEG settings, is that for if you're shooting RAW+JPEG or even if you're shooting just RAW? I would have thought that if you were using uniWB and shooting just RAW that the histogram should be pretty accurate, or is it still applying whatever your JPEG settings are even if you're not shooting a JPEG?

Not having an A900 yet (but hopefully very soon) I haven't had a chance to test any of this but it seems like uniWB is a big key to getting good RAW exposures and that should really help with taming the noise since you can ensure that you're not underexposing the red and blue channels.

Yeah, like most cameras, the A900's histogram on the rear LCD reflects whatever the jpeg settings are.  The jpeg settings that I listed above are about as close as you can get to the actual RAW histogram**.  I've been pretty amazed at how conservative the A900's metering is in regards to ETTR, and I find myself frequently dialing in +1 EV comp in the camera.  I used these jpeg settings and the C1 set with a linear tone curve for the first time in a studio shoot the other day, and I was amazed how spot on my exposures were.

**also, I forgot to mention, use AdobeRGB

andyptak

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 06:51:42 pm »

Now I'm feeling like an idiot - I'd never heard of  uniWB until now. So I looked it up and while I have a general idea, the specifics of use elude me. I see that a download is available - what happens after that? Thanks.

douglasf13

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 08:06:49 pm »

Quote from: andyptak
Now I'm feeling like an idiot - I'd never heard of  uniWB until now. So I looked it up and while I have a general idea, the specifics of use elude me. I see that a download is available - what happens after that? Thanks.

I'm not sure about other cameras, but here is a link on how to get uniWB for A700/900.  

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5531

Keep in mind that everything will look green, but it'll give you a much better idea as to how your sensor is exposing.

mmurph

• http://
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2009, 10:33:09 pm »

Quote from: Chris_Brown
I find results far superior when using well-made ICC camera profiles. Making these profiles costs more time & money.

Chris,  

What are you using to make your ICC profiles?

I used to have my Canon 1DsII calibrated, which I found essential to pull in the reds correctly (from orangish, in things like a red plaid dress for fashion.)

I am just getting back to work, will buy a Canon 5DII and calibrate that. Thinking of going to C1 also.

I have an i1 with the ColorCheckerSG.  Any other decent options for profiling in C1? The profiel editor really sucks  in i1 Match, the windows are so small as to be useless. Thanks!

Michael
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:40:13 pm by mmurph »

jtrujillo

• http://jtrujillo.net
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 09:13:10 am »

I am a many years user of C1 LE (non pro). One of the main reasons I stayed with it is that after testing more than once, with more than one camera, other RAW processors (ACR, LightRoom, RawShoorter), I never found one as accurate in color rendition than C1 (and also  the already mentioned quality in shadow detail and textures). I bought specific camera/software profiles developed by http://www.etcetera.cc/pub/ but unfortunately they seem to have stopped. So my current camera, the Canon 5DII, I use the generic profiles in the software that give a very acceptable result. (I am not at the level of developing my own profiles)

Specifically talking about the original question, I think that if what you want is only RAW processing the LE edition will suffice, as I understand that the engine is the same. The Pro version will add only management and workflow enhancements.
juan htt

mmurph

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 06:31:36 am »

Quote from: jtrujillo
I never found one as accurate in color rendition than C1 (and also  the already mentioned quality in shadow detail and textures). I bought specific camera/software profiles developed by http://www.etcetera.cc/pub/ but unfortunately they seem to have stopped. So my current camera, the Canon 5DII, I use the generic profiles in the software that give a very acceptable result. (I am not at the level of developing my own profiles)

Thank you Juan, I appreciate the feedback!

Best,
Michael

tho_mas

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 06:55:10 am »

Quote from: jtrujillo
Specifically talking about the original question, I think that if what you want is only RAW processing the LE edition will suffice, as I understand that the engine is the same. The Pro version will add only management and workflow enhancements.
yes, same engine. As to the enhanced workflow options particularily the Color Editor comes into mind which is a very powerful tool (actually by far the best Color Editor in any RAW processor I've seen by now... FWIW).
What might be an agrument to go Pro for you (jtrujillo) is that you can create camera profiles by yourself. Just take the generic of the 5D2 and adjust (carefully) with the Color Editor to create different looks (as many as you like) and store them either as presets or as icc profiles. Works awesomely consistent.

mmurph

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 01:27:57 pm »

Quote from: tho_mas
Just take the generic of the 5D2 and adjust (carefully) with the Color Editor to create different looks (as many as you like) and store them either as presets or as icc profiles. Works awesomely consistent.

Thanks!  That sounds like a good oportunity to do what Adobe has done with their custom profiles for Lightroom for the Canon cameras.

They have profiles to "match" or approximate the Canon presets - landscape, portrait, etc.  Nice, very subtle set of options to fine tune color, saturation, contrast, etc.

I have to say that I always shoot RAW, and so wasn't too familiar with the Canon preset options, despite having used Canon digital since 2002.      

The profile editor in the i1 Match software sucks. The windows are too small to really see the effects of any adjustments made in the editor. Maybe if I change my screen to 400x640?  

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 09:12:36 am »

We have an article on the differences between C1 and C1 Pro at our website's blog.

My vote for most important Pro feature is Color Editor, with honorable mentions to workspace customization and Overlay (niche use, but amazing in that niche).

As a shameless plug, you can purchase C1 Pro from Capture Integration instead of online - it's the same price but you'll be welcome to email me with questions/concerns and we can give you a discount on the online classes we have.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Doug Peterson

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2009, 09:19:20 am »

Quote from: Greg Haag
I have recently switched over from Capture One DB to Capture One Pro 4.6.1 and I am have very regular crashes have you experienced this?  I am running it on Mac Pro, OS 10.5.6, Processor 2 x 2.66 Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 16gb ram.

Just a quick update for anyone reading this who doesn't follow C1 closely: the current version as of this post is C1 4.8.1 and is rock solid. If you are experiencing any crashes than fully uninstall per our instructions and reinstall 4.8.1.

Quote from: mmurph
I used to have my Canon 1DsII calibrated, which I found essential to pull in the reds correctly (from orangish, in things like a red plaid dress for fashion.)

I am just getting back to work, will buy a Canon 5DII and calibrate that. Thinking of going to C1 also.

Definitely worth trying C1 before spending the time/money for a custom profile. You may well find that the out-of-box color does most of what you're looking for (compared to LR/ACR). If you need a slight tweak from there the Color Editor is easy to use (especially if someone walks you through it) and can quickly take the generic profile, add a few tweaks and save out a new custom profile that you can easily switch back and forth with the generic for any given image.

tho_mas

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 09:42:18 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
We have an article on the differences between C1 and C1 Pro at our website's blog.
custom made keyboard shortcuts are a feature of the non pro version as well?
Just a quick update for anyone reading this who doesn't follow C1 closely: the current version as of this post is C1 4.8.1 and is rock solid. If you are experiencing any crashes than fully uninstall per our instructions and reinstall 4.8.1.
maybe you'd like to ad the locations of workspaces and keyboards so that one can restore them after re-install of C1. Or is your advice to trash ALL settings (incl. workspaces, keyboard, curves, sharpening, NR etc.)?

Appreciate the informations on your webpage!

Doug Peterson

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 09:53:07 am »

Quote from: tho_mas
custom made keyboard shortcuts are a feature of the non pro version as well?
 maybe you'd like to ad the locations of workspaces and keyboards so that one can restore them after re-install of C1. Or is your advice to trash ALL settings (incl. workspaces, keyboard, curves, sharpening, NR etc.)?

Appreciate the informations on your webpage!

Check out the [User Folder > Library > Application Support] folder. All of these user-saved types of settings are here (program-saved settings are in the plist in preferences). The phrasing is a bit Danglish (Danish English).

I recommend upgrading as infrequently as you can tolerate (sometimes the new features/improvements can be hard to ignore!) and allowing time after the upgrade to thoroughly test. As long as you have a bootable backup of your setup and you allow testing time afterwards then by all means drop your critical Application Support settings back in afterwards to see if you can keep your settings during the upgrade.

A big pain I admit. *MOST* of the time you can simply install the upgrade overtop the previous version and all will be well. However, some of the time this will result in instability.

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 05:20:57 am »

on the LE version (latest 4.8.1) is their any shortcut to show and hide the grid / guides when in the crop tool...I know there is on the PRO version but before I upgrade thought I'd ask.
Currently the only way i can find to show it is to set crop tool and keep pen / mouse / trackpad clicked...which is a pain.

Also anyone know if any of the older nikon dslrs such as D2X specifically are to be supported for direct tethered shooting?

Thanks.

Marc
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 05:27:34 am by marcwilson »
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 10:24:13 am »

Don't know if you said you have a Mac or PC, but if you have a Mac the pro version I highly recommend because you can streamline and optimize your workflow for what is intuitive for you personally.  I have done this and to me it makes all the difference in the world.  Totally customized to my needs and uses. Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Doug Peterson

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 11:02:41 am »

Quote from: marcwilson
Anyone know if any of the older nikon dslrs such as D2X specifically are to be supported for direct tethered shooting?

Currently Tether-Able Nikons: D3X, D3, D700, D300, D200, D90, D80, D60, D40x, D40

What happens is every generation or two of cameras Canon/Nikon/Phase improve the "language" used to speak with the camera. So no, I think it is very unlikely Phase will take the time to add support for older generations of Nikon cameras, but will instead focus on adding support for new/future cameras.

You can still use C1 for the older cameras; you just need to make the tethered connection in Nikon's proprietary software and then set Capture One to Hot Folder mode.

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 11:41:47 am »

Thanks guys.
I'm on Mac so yes the PRO upgrade will be on the way in  a month or so.
Thanks for the info Doug.

Marc
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

mmurph

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 12:11:59 am »

Definitely worth trying C1 before spending the time/money for a custom profile. You may well find that the out-of-box color does most of what you're looking for (compared to LR/ACR). If you need a slight tweak from there the Color Editor is easy to use (especially if someone walks you through it) and can quickly take the generic profile, add a few tweaks and save out a new custom profile that you can easily switch back and forth with the generic for any given image.

Thank you Doug, I appreciate it!

I'll have to download the demo version and take a look. I am going to buy soon, I just have a couple of things I need to take care of first.

I have the i1, so I can make my own profiles. I am not at all happy though with the profile editing in the iMatch software. The windows are way too small to accurately see the 5 image variations for profile editing.   Really useless, unless there is something I just don't get?

I was thinking I would buy Profilemaker, but the Color Editor in C1 may prove to be a good solution. I assume I can import and edit the profiles I make with my i1 and the iMatch software? Standard ICC profiles.

I also understand from another thread that there is a C1 module that integrates the Xrite Profilemaker software?

I am a big believer in custom profiles for the Canon, in particular to tame the reds.  I don't know if you remember the Canon D30 reds, they were pretty funky.      

The reds on my Canon 1DsII were much better, but I still had to do a custom profile for some fashion images where I was shooting a red plaid skirt.  Quite a noticable difference there. I'll have to go back and test with the C1 profiles without the calibration.   I know the delta differences between Epson printers are supposed to be pretty small, not sure how close the Canon's are in tolerance?

(I just spent the winter before last testing 7+ ink sets and 50+ papers on 3 different Epson wide format printers. I did a deep soak in profiling.  Off work (from photography) for medical for 2+ years, so lots of time to mess around.)

I am going to buy a 5DII, will pick up C1 at the same time.

Thanks agian!~

Cheers,
Michael
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up