Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to upgrade HD in Epson P2000 - help please!  (Read 4048 times)

andyptak

Trying to upgrade HD in Epson P2000 - help please!
« on: February 23, 2009, 03:45:04 pm »

I have an Epson P2000 (30 Gig HD) which I'm trying to upgrade with a larger HD and no luck so far. I upgraded the firmware to the latest version and have a WD 250 gig IDE to put in. I've used Norton Ghost to copy from one to the other and all I get is a little icon of a memory card and a message that says "Reset". When I attach both drives to a computer I can clearly see the partition etc., and Ghost appears to work - but all i get is the error message when I turn it on again.Anyone have any ideas? I've heard of people who've done it successfuly, so I must be missing something. Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 03:46:10 pm by andyptak »

tcphoto

• Tony Clark Photography
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:17:08 am »

I remember seeing an online video of someone upgrading the HD in their P2000. I would suggest using google or searching youtube.com for a video. I do believe that they installed the HD in an external enclosure and copied it before trading it out.

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 05:50:01 am »

Quote from: tcphoto
I remember seeing an online video of someone upgrading the HD in their P2000. I would suggest using google or searching youtube.com for a video. I do believe that they installed the HD in an external enclosure and copied it before trading it out.

FWIW, here is one video

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3637613075261606641

but I guess the OP knows about them, else he wouldn't have attempted the upgrade.

Note: all P2000 firmwares I know of have a 128GB limit on partition size. Doesn't prevent you from using a suitably partitionned bigger drive though. Anyway, the P2000 is severely outdated and one can find netbooks that do a decent job as storage devices, and a bit more, for less than the price of the latest "Pxxxx" generation.

flash

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 04:56:49 pm »

I upgraded my P3000 to 120GB using this tutorial. Works perfectly.

http://juliuslagula.blogspot.com/2007/08/u...-of-p-3000.html

There are issues with using non Fujitsu drives and having partitions bigger than 120GB. That's probably the issue.

As for using a netbook. I love my netbook. But netbooks are much bigger, take a long time to boot, most don't have cards readers (none have CF) and most don't have a huge amount of HDD space. I would say that for the price of the upgrade you might want to look at the newer Hyperdrives though.

Gordon
Pages: [1]   Go Up