Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Location of Lightroom photo "mods" file  (Read 2842 times)

NYCArthur

Location of Lightroom photo "mods" file
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:07:24 am »

I'd like to save the Raw File modification instructions ( .xmr??? file) that Lightroom uses.  (what is that file called??)

I'd like to be able to save to DVD a Folder of files along with the changes I made in Lightroom.  This means the file with those changes will be IN the folder with the image files rather than in the database.

Does that idea make sense?

I often move folders with my images to free space on a HD or to archive.

thanks much,
Arthur

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 10:56:01 am »

That file is called an "xmp" file. It can be created by selecting the photos you want to save info for and pressing Cmd (or Ctrl) + S.

There is another option. You can export a selection as a catalog, but saving the xmp files may be easier for you.

francois

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:57:47 am »

Quote from: NYCArthur
I'd like to save the Raw File modification instructions ( .xmr??? file) that Lightroom uses.  (what is that file called??)

I'd like to be able to save to DVD a Folder of files along with the changes I made in Lightroom.  This means the file with those changes will be IN the folder with the image files rather than in the database.

Does that idea make sense?

I often move folders with my images to free space on a HD or to archive.

thanks much,
Arthur
In addition to Tom's post above, you can either check the option to automatically save XMP files (this is done in catalog settings, metadata) or simply export your files as DNG. The first option will slow down Lightroom and you'll have to make sure that you copy your files along with the XMP files. The second option is better - in my opinion - as the DNG will include the modifications you've made in Lightroom.

Thry both options and see what fits your needs.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 10:58:32 am by francois »
Francois

NYCArthur

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 11:26:54 am »

Quote from: francois
In addition to Tom's post above, you can either check the option to automatically save XMP files (this is done in catalog settings, metadata) or simply export your files as DNG. The first option will slow down Lightroom and you'll have to make sure that you copy your files along with the XMP files. The second option is better - in my opinion - as the DNG will include the modifications you've made in Lightroom.

Thry both options and see what fits your needs.

Tom, Francois - thanks so much - just what I needed !!

NYCArthur

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 11:34:50 am »

Tom, Francois - thanks so much - just what I needed !!

I hope you see this -
Seems when I press Contro.S - only ONE xmp files was saved. for one of the selected photos.

francois

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 11:44:52 am »

I hope you see this -
Seems when I press Contro.S - only ONE xmp files was saved. for one of the selected photos.
On my Mac (LR2.3), if I'm in grid mode and select five photos and press CMD + S, five .XMP files are created.
Francois

Digital Darkroom in Dutch

• http://www.henkbacker.info
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 12:25:47 pm »

I think that I read somewhere that the RAW-file modifications are stored in the RAW-file. The TIFF and JPEG modifications generate a XMP-file and that one can be stored seperately.

Am I wrong?
Henk Backer
Digitale Doka [url=http://ww

francois

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 04:24:46 am »

Quote from: Digital Darkroom in Dutch
I think that I read somewhere that the RAW-file modifications are stored in the RAW-file. The TIFF and JPEG modifications generate a XMP-file and that one can be stored seperately.

Am I wrong?
In Lightroom, modifications to RAW files are kept in the library or in a separate XMP file. If you use DNG format, everything an be contained in one file (RAW data, metadata and modifications). TIFF files modifications are saved into the same file.

You can do the test: in grid mode, select 1 RAW and one tiff or jpeg file. Make sure that you performed some changes in the tiff or jpeg file. Press CMS + S (on a Mac) to save metadata to file. Now, go to the folder with your two files and you should see that a XMP file has been created (same name as your RAW file) and the modification date of your tiff or jpeg file has changed.
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up