Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two lenses compared  (Read 4745 times)

marcmccalmont

Two lenses compared
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:27:06 pm »

I know a jpeg over the web is not the best way to judge a lens but your opinion please, which do you prefer and why?
I tried processing them as similar as possible (DxO)
Thanks Marc

A:[attachment=11621:_MG_1254_DxO_raw.jpg]
B:[attachment=11622:_MG_1267_DxO_raw.jpg]
Marc McCalmont

Misirlou

• http://
Two lenses compared
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:44:21 pm »

Quote from: marcmccalmont
I know a jpeg over the web is not the best way to judge a lens but your opinion please, which do you prefer and why?
Thanks Marc

It's hard to judge much from those pictures. There aren't any really obvious differences in sharpness or contrast (at least through my weak eyes). I'd make my decsion based on handling and price, or do a much more extensive test series where you looked at characteristics like corner softness wide open, vignetting, etc.

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Two lenses compared
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:00:55 pm »

Thanks Marc

Its impossible to judge anything based on these images, just as you couldn't. Both are way over-processed and over-sharpened and the small differences has more to do with the light than anything else.
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

ddk

• http://www.pbase.com/ddk
Two lenses compared
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 11:03:00 pm »

dfasdfasdfas
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:03:50 pm by ddk »
david
-----------------------
www.pbase.com/ddk

marcmccalmont

Two lenses compared
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 12:33:53 am »

OK the first images were not sharpened in DxO just focus fixer set at 0.7, these are the same but focus fixer set at 0.5 (lens sharpening still turned off in DxO)
Clicking on the image to zoom in makes them look more as they do on my computer
Marc

A:
[attachment=11632:_MG_1254_DxO_raw2.jpg]
B:
[attachment=11633:_MG_1267_DxO_raw2.jpg]
Marc McCalmont

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Two lenses compared
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 01:42:32 am »

Hi,

Hard to say. Light is not exactly the same. Differences in lenses are mostly more visible on the edges/corners than at center. Any good lens should be very good when stopped down to 5.6 or 8. The A picture has a higher contrast and that may make the image look sharper, but I fail to see any significant difference in sharpness.

I'd also add that there is a certain feel to certain lenses. It may be for real or not. I have a couple of "Zeiss-labeled" Sony lenses I really like although they did not impress me in initial tests.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks Marc

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 01:46:08 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

marcmccalmont

Two lenses compared
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 02:45:01 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

Hard to say. Light is not exactly the same. Differences in lenses are mostly more visible on the edges/corners than at center. Any good lens should be very good when stopped down to 5.6 or 8. The A picture has a higher contrast and that may make the image look sharper, but I fail to see any significant difference in sharpness.

I'd also add that there is a certain feel to certain lenses. It may be for real or not. I have a couple of "Zeiss-labeled" Sony lenses I really like although they did not impress me in initial tests.

Best regards
Erik

Erik
The crop is from the left edge of the frame, A is my Canon 24-105 which is reputed to be only OK and B is a Zeiss 35-70 on an adapter which is supposed to be stellar. On a full sized print I see only minor differences, the Canon a bit more contrasty, the Zeiss a few more nuances in the mids. The colors and prints are so close they look like they were taken with the same lens. My other Canons have the same characteristic (contrasty) must be a difference in the coatings? But the 24-105 is fully automatic, greater range, IS and is supported by DxO so it is the more practical choice.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Two lenses compared
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 03:33:02 am »

I did not look at which was what lens. To me number B seems to show a bit more detail. I was especially looking in the left. The lower corner the flowers appeared to have more detail. In the left the tree appeared to have the promise of more detail. In the far on the left side the tree at the horizon appeared to be more clearly defined. If I would be staring at the right side I think I see similar things.

It is very difficult to say anything about which lens is the better one. This is also just one situation at one aperture. It is safe to say that under these circumstances the lenses perform quite similar

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
Two lenses compared
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 10:40:20 am »

I think the lighting differences make comparisons very difficult. One image has far more diffused light, the other brighter image has sharper shadows.  

I wouldn't draw any substantial conclusions by comparing these images.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Two lenses compared
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 12:17:30 pm »

All I can see is that one lens shows more blue sky than the other. 
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Peterretep

• http://www.mountainphotographics.com
Two lenses compared
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 10:32:13 am »

If you were to post two photos taken under identical conditions with the same exposures and processing, you would then be able to get some meaningful feedback.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 10:35:53 am by Peterretep »

marcmccalmont

Two lenses compared
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 04:31:15 pm »

Quote from: Peterretep
If you were to post two photos taken under identical conditions with the same exposures and processing, you would then be able to get some meaningful feedback.
Peter
Same day within minutes of each other (clouds move!), same exposure (using the histogram, adjusted speed to match histograms), same processing!!!! I have now looked at several hundred shots and have come to the following conclusions:
1. The Canon L lenses and the Zeiss lenses have about the same resolution, a negligible difference. (24-85n, 35-70 f3.4, 45 f2.8, 24-105IS, 50 1.4, 70-200IS f4 and f2.8)
2. The Canons and Zeiss pass different amounts of light for a given aperture and speed (Zeiss are a bit darker)
3. The noticeable difference is the Canon's are more contrasty and 3 dimensional, the Zeiss's have better gradients in the middle range. (the effect of each can be recreated in post processing to look like each other)
4. The Canon's are fully automatic with IS so are more practical
5. The 24-105 IS turned out to be a stellar performer!!!!, better than the 24-85 and the 45mm
6. So my kit is the 24-105 IS, 70-200 f4 IS, 400 f5.6, and soon a Nikon 14-24 2.8
7. My quest is over!!!!!!!!!!!
Marc
Marc McCalmont

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Two lenses compared
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 05:27:41 pm »

Great!

Erik

Peter
Same day within minutes of each other (clouds move!), same exposure (using the histogram, adjusted speed to match histograms), same processing!!!! I have now looked at several hundred shots and have come to the following conclusions:
1. The Canon L lenses and the Zeiss lenses have about the same resolution, a negligible difference. (24-85n, 35-70 f3.4, 45 f2.8, 24-105IS, 50 1.4, 70-200IS f4 and f2.8)
2. The Canons and Zeiss pass different amounts of light for a given aperture and speed (Zeiss are a bit darker)
3. The noticeable difference is the Canon's are more contrasty and 3 dimensional, the Zeiss's have better gradients in the middle range. (the effect of each can be recreated in post processing to look like each other)
4. The Canon's are fully automatic with IS so are more practical
5. The 24-105 IS turned out to be a stellar performer!!!!, better than the 24-85 and the 45mm
6. So my kit is the 24-105 IS, 70-200 f4 IS, 400 f5.6, and soon a Nikon 14-24 2.8
7. My quest is over!!!!!!!!!!!
Marc
Erik Kaffehr

marcmccalmont

Two lenses compared
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 05:59:20 pm »

One more lesson learned, any filter in front of the lens (UV, protector, Polarizer, ND etc) greatly reduces the sharpness on the 5DII where as it was a negligable difference on my 5D.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Let Biogons be Biogons

• http://
Two lenses compared
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 04:23:37 pm »

Here is one very qualitative opinion.  While they are both reasonably sharp, I was not looking at the relative sharpness between the 2 images.  Rather, I focused on the way they "look".

The first one (designated A), looks flatter, less 3-dimensional, even more artificial than the second one (.  B just looks more real, more tangible, and is overall more appealing.  I don't think the differences are all that subtle.

Pages: [1]   Go Up