Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ  (Read 16324 times)

Guy Mancuso

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1133
    • http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2009, 08:14:00 pm »

Quote from: PeterA
G'day Guy - some points which you may not like to hear.

Firstly I wasn't criticising Mamiya bodies , I was trying to make a general point about too much focus on too little value add - from the whole industry.  

Second point - I play off a handicap of four. it has blown out because these days I am on only one and half legs - two feet from point of contact the golf club is travelling at a speed of between 70 mph and 130mph - depending on wether you are photographing a hack or a pro hitter.  

As a photographer you cant trigger at two feet from impact for either - so I dont get your point on Mamiya improved shutter repsonse - it wouldnt make any difference wether one was shooting Mamiya / Hasselblad or whatever - club head speed is too fast for a photographer to guess and react. Thats where DSLRs and strobes kick in with set -up trigger units - but you know all that  - new tech coming where you shoot video and pick whatever still you want - will help. In the meantime good luck trying to shoot "two feet from from impact".

As for comments on what Phase should or should not have done - again not my point. The 'easy' money has been made delivering tweaks on chips to boost megapixel count and charging fortunes every year in MF land. Phase makes great backs with great software - as do others. I am just not a buyer anymore - the BS is over till someone gives me a proper 6x6 coverage chip so I can use my MF glass better - and I dont care about  megapixel count or high ISO BS either ...

or RED delivers on their promises - if they do - it is syonarra time for a lot of camera manufacturers- and everyone knows it.

Cheers
Pete


Peter maybe you misunderstood a Pro actually David Tom's swing speed(which I just shot) let's say is a good 95 per hour. In the past I had to give myself enough time with shutter lag from the start of the back swing (Starting) for the camera to actually give me a image at ball contact. So it took that much time from the finger depressing the shutter till a Pro actually made contact. That is a long time for shutter lag. Now i can wait until the club approximately two feet away till the capture is made so my timing or better yet the shutter lag has shortened up a great deal. So the difference in time between the actually start of his back swing (previous camera) to 2 feet (new camera with firmware has dramatically shortened the shutter lag . That is the ONLY point I was making otherwise i don't care about the rest of the comments but wanted it to be clear things have changed since most folks shot a Mamiya or ever shot a Mamiya body. The new firmware has very much improved this and I hear more to come.

Peter some folks sit in rocking chairs and do not actually shoot this stuff everyday. Not directed at you but the internet is full of so called experts. I work in reality as you know
Logged
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

PeterA

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 124
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2009, 09:03:53 pm »

Guy I am sitting in my armchaor right now! - I like my armachaior - it is an old friend LOL

No intention to offend you or anyone else - life is too short buddy - and if you say the Mamiya works well enough for you to do X Y or Z I am sure it does. Of course maybe I was picturing you making a shot of the clubhead hitting the golf ball @ impact - well that was my impression of what you were saying - excuse me if I was wrong!

As for club head speed from David - who isnt a known long hitter and he would be the first to agree ( but sure knows his way around a mid iron and fairway woods) - I guarantee you his  swing speed at impact is over 100mph - but thats just an aside with not much photographic interest.

My point of talking golf in this thread was as an anology - the game is not  more interesting or even better because of improved ball technology - and I dont think that photography is more interesting or better because of lotsa a megapixels. Now if progress in gear and photography to people is all about  DR/megapixels and all that stuff ..which was the wistful and philosophical point of Doug's post - mine was a different view and even on the armchair I guess maybe I am entitled to a view no matter how stupid it is.

So from a gearhead like me ( and you know I am ) - my point to myself is that hey - @ 30-40 megapixels - that part of the game ( for me ) is over - and the point was only being made in friendly manner in response to the topic.

If we wish to start a topic about Mamiya bodies - hell man - only too happy to play that one - bring it! - they arent much worse than anyone else's in MF land...

Pete



Logged

Guy Mancuso

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1133
    • http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2009, 09:21:01 pm »

I was with him all day and i would kill for his swing. Smoothest thing I ever seen. LOL

 I will have to send you one of those BIG files. The gear head in you will be amazed. I thought 39 was enough too but Wow.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:22:25 pm by Guy Mancuso »
Logged
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

PeterA

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 124
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2009, 09:29:20 pm »

Quote from: Guy Mancuso
I was with him all day and i would kill for his swing. Smoothest thing I ever seen. LOL

 I will have to send you one of those BIG files. The gear head in you will be amazed. I thought 39 was enough too but Wow.


Deal -
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up