Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ  (Read 16339 times)

arashm

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 145
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 11:09:29 pm »

Bernard:
Just out of curiosity which pano head are you using to allow for such speed between captures?
Thanks
am
Logged

Wayne Fox

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4237
    • waynefox.com
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 11:35:24 pm »

This was an interesting read concerning how many megapixels is enough ...

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/t...-be-enough.html
Logged

BernardLanguillier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13980
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 11:43:54 pm »

Quote from: arashm
Bernard:
Just out of curiosity which pano head are you using to allow for such speed between captures?
Thanks
am

I am using a RRS fully manual head. Things couldn't be faster, rotate the head 10 degrees (I am using mostly a Zeiss 100mm) use MLU, shoot.

When I really need to be really fast for some reason, it is manageable at a bit less than 2 seconds between images belong to the same row, and around 7-8 sec to change row. When there is no rush I usually keep 5 to 10 seconds between images belonging to a given row and around 15 to change row.

The D3x's mirror generates very few vibrations and 0.5-1 sec between MLU and actual shot is usually OK for optimal sharpness.

Regards,
Bernard

EricWHiss

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2639
    • Rolleiflex USA
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 12:13:38 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
What prevents you from stitching many more frames with a high resolution DSLR?

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard,
I wish I had the patience to do stitching like you do. I like to move fast and do most shooting handheld when possible.  I probably stitch less than 1% of my shots and even at that, I'd rather have it all in one shot.     Whatever camera a person had, they could stitch with it.  We work different ways.

Myself, I'd like clean higher ISO more than anything else, then more DR, then more pixels, then a faster frame rate.  Of course I want it all and in a square format too!
Eric
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 12:18:38 am by EricWHiss »
Logged
Rolleiflex USA

yaya

  • Guest
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 02:53:49 am »

Quote from: PeterA
Yair

Why will looking at the raw files cause real damage to one's bank account? - serious question -
ie what did you mean by this?


Serious answer: You will either want to go back and buy some of those big prints or you will want to buy a high-end digital back, a 6X9 view camera and a set of good lenses....

Yair
Logged

PeterA

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 124
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 02:58:52 am »

Quote from: yaya
Serious answer: You will either want to go back and buy some of those big prints or you will want to buy a high-end digital back, a 6X9 view camera and a set of good lenses....

Yair


Thank you Yair. a P3 and or an artec are next on my list - at current prices I am happy to stay with (only ) 40 megapiels though.

Pete

Logged

AndreNapier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 422
    • Andre Napier Photography
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 03:02:42 am »

I remember when Phase One introduced 6MP LightPhase with a slogan that it had more resolution than any pro photog would ever need. I still have the picture from this add showing an eye close-up.
I for one do not want more pixels. I just simply do not need them. They clog my computer and add no benefit. I the past couple years I shot several campaigns that were featured on full size highway boards. All with 33MP and at a width on 40+ feet. I printed 40x60 fine art prints and never felt that extra pixel would help. Matter of fact what I would love to see is a 22MP full size sensor for Rz67 with ability to produce 3 images a second.
I would trade it for 200MP full size mini MF. Just my two cents.
http://AndreNapier.com
Logged

aaronleitz

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 113
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 03:03:58 am »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
it solidified what I've begun to feel for the last few months: if you remove cost I will always use the maximum resolution possible.
Doug Peterson,  Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer  |  Personal Portfolio

By jove I think you've found the missing key that will solve all our problems:

"Ignore cost."  

Well done!  ;-)
Logged

Ben Rubinstein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1822
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 03:11:17 am »

Quote from: yaya
6 images Vs 2 images means 7 stitches Vs 1 stitch. Let's ignore the time factor and just look at the possible errors/ scene changes, knocking the tripod/ mishandling the pano head. That's 6 beautiful frames going straight into the dustbin.

Spoken like someone who has no concept of modern stiching software that couldn't care less about any of the above and no I'm not referring to CS4...



From the Rova (Old City, Jerusalem), took under a minute to shoot, 7 frames.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:12:27 am by pom »
Logged

yaya

  • Guest
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 03:19:08 am »

Quote from: PeterA
Thank you Yair. a P3 and or an artec are next on my list - at current prices I am happy to stay with (only ) 40 megapiels though.

Pete

You won't go wrong with these fur sure;-)



Logged

yaya

  • Guest
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 03:34:51 am »

Quote from: pom
Spoken like someone who has no concept of modern stiching software that couldn't care less about any of the above and no I'm not referring to CS4...
From the Rova (Old City, Jerusalem), took under a minute to shoot, 7 frames.

Same place, 12 33MP verticals handheld 80mm @ f14, 1/160 and 100iso. Took about 20 seconds to shoot

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:36:34 am by yaya »
Logged

Ben Rubinstein

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1822
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 03:54:00 am »

Thing is that I don't actually agree with Bernard, stitching might make sense for landscapes and possibly architecture but not in the studio or for product work. Too much computer time. A one shot solution still makes sense in most applications.
Logged

BernardLanguillier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13980
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 04:36:42 am »

Quote from: pom
Thing is that I don't actually agree with Bernard, stitching might make sense for landscapes and possibly architecture but not in the studio or for product work. Too much computer time. A one shot solution still makes sense in most applications.

Actually, we do probably agree on this. I am not claiming that stitching is a universal solution. I am fully aware that different photographers have different needs, and it is true that stitching times can sometimes be long.
 
Cheers,
Bernard

csp

  • Guest
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 05:17:50 am »

"yes it is  time for the HOMER muscle camera a 1 billion pixel super resolution aerodynamic device... to impress dentists, housewives and neighbors.... "


i hope nobody in the upper management  of the mf companies think that adding more and more resolution is they way to go.  the only real revolution digital brought
to photography  is high iso performance this made a new way of shooting possible unthinkable with film.  
Logged

Carsten W

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 627
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 05:51:27 am »

Quote from: Joe Behar
Wouldn't you like to have your 200 megapixels, 20 stop dynamic range and ISO 1,000,000 all in one package and one exposure?

Let's see:

200MP / 60MP = 3.3
20 stop DR / 12.5 stop DR = 1.6
1,000,000 ISO / 400 ISO = 2500

I think it is clear where the first improvement should be. Right after the screens on the backs, that is. Note that I am assuming a completely satisfactory and usable ISO 400, which may be optimistic.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 05:52:34 am by carstenw »
Logged
Carsten W - [url=http://500px.com/Carste

PeterA

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 124
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 07:44:45 am »

Quote from: yaya
You won't go wrong with these fur sure;-)

  ( the only thing I dont like btw )
is teh 3X loupe enough - or do you think higher maginification woudl be better again?

show some shots with the artec!!

Thanks
Pete
Logged

yaya

  • Guest
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 08:03:20 am »

Quote from: PeterA
Ok I am ordering on Monday - but I have the S back and the H back(s) - yours has a silly battery hanging off the bottom...    ( the only thing I dont like btw )
is teh 3X loupe enough - or do you think higher maginification woudl be better again?

show some shots with the artec!!

Thanks
Pete

Hi there Pete the only lens I've got at the moment is the 70mm Rodenstock (which is stunning BTW) and it is very bright so the loupe is fine. I hope to test it (with some sample shots of course) next week during the show also with the Rod' 28mm. We just need some half decent weather whcih is a rare thing in UK these days...

PS the battery hanging off is just what it is and it's not a problem on any of these cameras, plus you can get a triple size one which last forever (relatively speaking)...

Yair



Logged

BJNY

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1112
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 08:10:53 am »

Yair,

When the AFi 10 sensor and housing are in portrait orientation,

is what's displayed rotated as well?

Thanks,

Billy
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:12:17 am by BJNY »
Logged
Guillermo

yaya

  • Guest
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 08:19:19 am »

Quote from: BJNY
Yair,

When the AFi 10 sensor and housing are in portrait orientation,

is what's displayed rotated as well?

Thanks,

Billy

By housing you mean the back? Why would you rotate it?

But anyway you can set it so that the display either rotates or not.

Yair
Logged

BJNY

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1112
One (biased) Opinion for MORE MORE MORE IQ
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 08:33:12 am »

If the shot is vertical
the sensor is vertical

why shouldn't the housing be vertical
to maximize screen real estate?
Logged
Guillermo
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up