First let me frank and clear up front: I work for a dealer so sure read this with a grain of salt. However, those who know me I do a pretty good job of not drinking the kool-aid. Cynics might see this post as entirely self serving, but I promise you that I'm just using the only outlet I know of to discuss something that has been bubbling up in my mind for the last year.
I started off shooting point and shoot digitals. Then 35mm film. Then MF film. Then MF digital.
This forum has been exhausted with plenty of good arguments against the need for more resolution or DR
1) Most compelling images aren't compelling because of resolution but rather lighting, subject, emotion, composition etc etc etc etc. e.g. A Holga t-max shot becomes less beautiful if you add sharpness.
2) Most magazine use can be accomplished with far less than current max resolution. Depending on all the mitigating factors (lens quality, crop, lighting) and who you ask a 2-page spread might require 4, 12, or 22 megapixels for images that benefit from sharpenss, but certainly not 60 megapixels (the current ceiling on single-shot resolution).
3) For most other commercial applications the current high-end of resolution (32-60 megapixels) is also considered adequate.
But in my job I can pull any back/body/lens off the shelf to shoot (provided it's not being otherwise used. Recently I took a large case full of gear to Moab for GetDPI.com's landscape workshop. In the kit were technical bodies, MF bodies, the best lenses of each system, and P45+s and P65+s (39 and 60 megapixels respectively) and it solidified what I've begun to feel for the last few months: if you remove cost I will always use the maximum resolution possible. In fact 60 megapixels was not enough for me; every shot I liked I shot two or four image stitches on the tech camera (moving the back within the static image circle rather than rotating the camera/lens) to achieve 100 megapixels or more.
Large Prints:
To get a print which is twice as big visually (2x each dimension) you need a file which is four times as large. So resolution shows up in prints much earlier than most photographers think. There is a strong trend away from printing photographers (in favor of sharing albums online or on devices like iPhones) and I'm a solid part of this trend. The only prints I make anymore are at least 20x30 and, for images where sharpness is part of the intention, I want them to be wicked sharp.
Secondary Use:
It's impossible to know where/how your best few images each year will be used. You may have shot them for a magazine or for the web, but if the file is huge and clean you can use it later for anything.
Raised Expectations:
I'm young so I need to look at the next several decades. At some point in the future point-and-shoots will produce the same IQ as the P65+. At that point any file in my library which was shot on a mid-range dSLR will be limited from a re-use point of view (again, for images that benefit from resolution, DR etc).
I guess the bottom line of this rant is that I'm 100% against the arguments that say we've reached a plateau above which photographers will only want more IQ for very specialized applications. I think that is short sighted. Give me a 300 megapixel camera and, for subject matter which allows it, I will still ask if I can stitch on the back of a tech camera. Give me 20 stops of dynamic range. Heck give me 100 stops of dynamic range so that I can shoot any scene at any aperture and shutter speed. Give me a raw format aimed specifically for still image quality that breaks the 1/100th sec or 1 hour long exposure into a millions slices in time so I can select in post which fraction of a moment in time to create my 10 foot print from. While I'm dreaming, virtualize the entire world so that I can virtually tour the earth and and place my virtual camera anywhere at any place. Lower the barrier of entry to nadda and let the art battles begin!
Did I veer of course there at the end?
*going to get coffee*
Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer |
Personal Portfolio