Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor comparison  (Read 3597 times)

butlerkid

Monitor comparison
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:39:05 pm »

My 9 yr old Sony Trinitron CRT is going south....UGH!  Wait....YEAH....I get to buy.....somthing!

I have a Dell XPS 710, 4 gb RAM, Nvidia 8600 GTS video card with 256 memory.  Video card  supports 2560 x 1600 res.

After much research I'm considering the NEC LCD3090WUZi2 30"

or an NEC LCD2490 or 2690 and a smaller, cheaper monitor for internet use and CS4 palettes.

I'm an amateur photographer using CS4 and an Epson 2400.

All comments and advice needed and encouraged!

Thanks!

Karen

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Monitor comparison
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:48:47 pm »

I've got both the 2690 and 3090, pretty much the same expect for size and price. The 2490 isn't a wide gamut display like the others and is smaller still.

Just be sure you get the SpectraView II software and a supported instrument to calibrate and profile any of the above. That's where they really shine.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

butlerkid

Monitor comparison
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:00:32 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
I've got both the 2690 and 3090, pretty much the same expect for size and price. The 2490 isn't a wide gamut display like the others and is smaller still.

Just be sure you get the SpectraView II software and a supported instrument to calibrate and profile any of the above. That's where they really shine.

Thanks, Andrew!

I think the 2690 has the A-TW polarizner and the 3090 does not.  Does this make a difference?

Karen

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Monitor comparison
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 05:46:59 pm »

Quote from: butlerkid
I think the 2690 has the A-TW polarizner and the 3090 does not.  Does this make a difference?

Other than size, I don't see a difference.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

walter.sk

Monitor comparison
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 06:12:42 pm »

I've got the NEC 3090 and the SpectraViewII software, latest version.  When I look at my images on this monitor I am still dumbfounded by how good they look, and my old monitor (NEC 2060u) was a fine monitor.  I have got the softproofing/print viewing routine working, so that I can print with no surprises.  There is room for all the pallets (oops! I forgot: "panels") on the right side, including the tools panel.  I can work for hours without a hint of eyestrain.  Maybe I'm missing something by not getting a monitor that costs2 times as much or more, but I'm one happy camper with my setup.

butlerkid

Monitor comparison
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 07:31:16 pm »

Quote from: walter.sk
I've got the NEC 3090 and the SpectraViewII software, latest version.  When I look at my images on this monitor I am still dumbfounded by how good they look, and my old monitor (NEC 2060u) was a fine monitor.  I have got the softproofing/print viewing routine working, so that I can print with no surprises.  There is room for all the pallets (oops! I forgot: "panels") on the right side, including the tools panel.  I can work for hours without a hint of eyestrain.  Maybe I'm missing something by not getting a monitor that costs2 times as much or more, but I'm one happy camper with my setup.

Thanks Walter!  I appreciate your input!

Do you have the 3090 on the desk or wall mounted?  I'm thinking of wall mounting but guess I will have to make sure I can get it low enough for ease of viewing.

walter.sk

Monitor comparison
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 08:35:30 pm »

Quote from: butlerkid
Thanks Walter!  I appreciate your input!

Do you have the 3090 on the desk or wall mounted?  I'm thinking of wall mounting but guess I will have to make sure I can get it low enough for ease of viewing.
Don't forget that at a native resolution of 2650x1600 at 101 ppi there will be lots of little tiny things to read.  I have mine on my desktop and still have to lean over to see some information.  Despite having large fonts selected in WinXP and Photoshop, some things such as filenames in LightRoom, and tool-tips in PS still come out too small for my aging eyes to cope with.  But it's a small price to pay for the detail that shows when processing images.

butlerkid

Monitor comparison
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:11:33 pm »

I understand that monitors using LEDs will be the "thing" in the future.

Are there any such monitors available now that have all the bugs worked out?

Thanks!

Karen
Pages: [1]   Go Up