Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Joshua Tree NP camp site  (Read 5311 times)

didger

Joshua Tree NP camp site
« on: November 21, 2004, 10:24:50 am »

Having lived in Joshua Tree since 1970 and explored just about every square inch of the park, I'd say that there's great stuff to photograph almost everywhere, and no particular areas of concentrated "good stuff".  Hidden Valley and Jumbo Rocks are both nice campgrounds, but no matter where you camp you'll surely want to explore a little first and hike a bit to decide your optimal places to shoot.  You may want to drive somewhere for your sunrise and sunset shots if you have enough time to explore for what you like best. You probably won't find exactly what you want shooting from your sleeping bag out your tent flap or RV window.

Too bad you're not here now.  I looked out of my window a little while ago and was shocked to see several inches of snow on the ground and still plenty coming down.  We almost never get snow right at my house, so it should be fantastic in the park once the sky clears.  That's my consolation prize for not being able to work on my camper project for a while now.

Peter McLennan

Joshua Tree NP camp site
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 06:29:55 pm »

"What would be a good camp site that is close to sunrise and sunset locations?"

The di*khead in me is compelled to reply:  

"Halfway between the eastern and western horizons"

Sorry

didger

Joshua Tree NP camp site
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 09:54:56 am »

I've never stayed in a motel here and I can barely even think of where they are.  There's several in JT and several in Yucca Valley.  I think your best bet is on line yellow pages for both cities.  I know the price range is pretty big, but I have no idea which ones are the best value.  
Maybe better than Yellow Pages would be to call the Coyote Corner gift shop.  They know just about everything about everything in JT and they're great people too.  760-366-9683.  In case you end up camping, Coyote Corner has reasonably priced clean showers too.
I'll almost certainly be in Yosemite or Owens Valley at the time you get here.

Chris_T

Joshua Tree NP camp site
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 09:55:02 am »

I'll be car camping at Joshua Tree NP in early December. What would be a good camp site that is close to sunrise and sunset locations? Thanks.

howard smith

Joshua Tree NP camp site
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 05:17:51 pm »

My experience at Joshua Tree is there are lots of places to shoot all over the park.  There are planty of camp grounds prettymuch spread over the park.  The park that is reasonable accessible by car isn't really all that big.  The camp grounds can fill up fast on weekends, Joshua Tree being close to the LA area and a favorite rock climbing area.  I would simply start by selecting an available camp site, then go hunting for photos.  White Tank and the other camp ground near there are usually the last to fill up from my experience.

Chris_T

Joshua Tree NP camp site
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 08:48:45 am »

Thanks for all the relevant responses.

didger, snow should add an extra element to the images. But now I'm considering lodging outside the park instead. Any suggestion for a motel or B&B? Thanks.

xato

Joshua Tree NP camp site
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 06:04:06 pm »

There's a nice arch behind campsite 9 of the White Tank Campground good for an am. shot of the sun.  The problem is that it's sort of in a hole so you won't be able to get the really early morning sun.

My other favorite place is Lost Horse Valley.
Warren  
Pages: [1]   Go Up