Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon PC-E 45 F2.8D ED too much chromatic abrasion?  (Read 2944 times)

adrian tyler

• http://www.adriantyler.net/
Nikon PC-E 45 F2.8D ED too much chromatic abrasion?
« on: February 18, 2009, 12:25:52 pm »

I'm getting some pretty heavy chromatic abrasion when tilting and shifting my new Nikon PC-E 45 F2.8D ED, should I have this checked? could it be faulty?

It's fine with no movements, but that kind of defeats the purpose...

here are a 3 examples all with a d3 f11, thanks!:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 12:27:19 pm by adrian tyler »

Tony Beach

• http://imageevent.com/tonybeach/twelveimages
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:10:49 pm »

They look somewhat overexposed.  Metering when shifted or tilted is not accurate and it is recommended that you meter prior to applying any movements.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:46:33 am »

How did you process the files? Nikon Capture NX handles CA much better than other raw developers, if you used another program you might want to try NX to see if it improves. It does look a bit high on the exposure. Besides that when using movements you do stand the chance of being rewarded with CA or fringing much faster than without movements.

adrian tyler

• http://www.adriantyler.net/
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:56:09 am »

so this is nomal behaviour for this kind of lens and i should be correcting with software, right?

i am used to using lenses that do not produce this effect with my 4x5 equipment, even with maximum movements, perhaps schneider or rodenstock will come up with something for a nikon mount?

adrian

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:42:28 am »

That is not what I was saying however you do see this phenomena with this lens. I have the same results with some lenses for my H. eg. the HC150 exhibits, under some circumstances, CA in the form of magenta/green lines in areas of high contrast.

When I process these files with Flexcolor or Phocus the CA is totally absent, when I process them to DNG first I have CA. Now, sure they could have produced a flawless lens which probably would have cost me 4 times as much and hopefully be just as small (while many people already find them bulky). I only care for the result and if part of it can be achieved by software saving me a ton of money as well. That is fine by me, well not particularly fine but I can learn to live with it if I have to.

Nikon Capture also addresses issues like this. Not sure how effective it will be but maybe you could give it a try and see if it gets you better results

Sure, your 4x5 lenses probably are better. My Schneider Digitars are also better than my HC lenses, even cheaper (not by much). Their design probably makes it easier as well to be less prone to stuff like CA. My X-act is a lot less handy than my H which again is much bulkier and less handy than my Nikon.

There is no such thing as a free lunch and there are more ways that lead to better results. I do agree with you that I prefer my lenses don't do stuff like this to begin with
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:44:51 am by Dustbak »

dralph

• http://
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 10:43:51 pm »

Quote from: adrian tyler
I'm getting some pretty heavy chromatic abrasion when tilting and shifting my new Nikon PC-E 45 F2.8D ED, should I have this checked? could it be faulty?

It's fine with no movements, but that kind of defeats the purpose...

here are a 3 examples all with a d3 f11, thanks!:

You can test Nikon's CA correction, without buying Capture NX(2), by taking a few similar frames in jpeg mode, with the in camera chromatic aberration correction turned on.  (The feature only affects jpegs, not raw images.  For CA correction in raw, one is relegated to software solutions.  Capture NX will do a similar correction on raw images as the in camera routine.  I leave the feature turned on all of the time when I use NX.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up