Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodak Pro Back as P20/CFV alternative?  (Read 2733 times)

Jonathan Lee

Kodak Pro Back as P20/CFV alternative?
« on: February 18, 2009, 08:11:34 am »

Any users of the Kodak Pro Back out there? I looking to get into MF digital for Hasselblad V.   They seem to be selling relatively cheaply on the 'bay and to me they look like a pretty good alternative to a P20 or CFV. The only downsides I see are slightly smaller sensor and the need to have a battery pack for portable use. I don't see this adapter for sale on the 'bay, but is the adapter a standard DIN plug or is it a proprietary plug? Voltage?  If it is a standard DIN, it should be pretty easy to rig something up for power.

I know Kodak isn't supporting them any more but as long as I can get the files into dng on a Mac, I'll be happy.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 02:41:52 am »

Quote from: Jonathan Lee
Any users of the Kodak Pro Back out there? I looking to get into MF digital for Hasselblad V.   They seem to be selling relatively cheaply on the 'bay and to me they look like a pretty good alternative to a P20 or CFV. The only downsides I see are slightly smaller sensor and the need to have a battery pack for portable use. I don't see this adapter for sale on the 'bay, but is the adapter a standard DIN plug or is it a proprietary plug? Voltage?  If it is a standard DIN, it should be pretty easy to rig something up for power.

I know Kodak isn't supporting them any more but as long as I can get the files into dng on a Mac, I'll be happy.

I had one of these years ago

the images are still beautiful (everthing else screen GUI etc are soo dated)

I would be wary of support and suchlike

Only spend money you could put on a horserace and lose

A couple of points

the sensor is 36mm square same as the CFV I think - a big crop - no good for wide and same size as a FF dslr once you have cropped to a rectangle (if you do that)

the battery should just hook on the bottom of the back

Long exposure and/or HIGH ISO useless BTW

Intelligent $ would go on a canon 5dmk2 but that is your choice

S
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:43:20 am by Morgan_Moore »
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Jonathan Lee

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 08:04:25 am »

I'm a "square guy" so the sensor size should be about right for me.  I was about to pull the trigger on one but got cold feet.  They're pretty cheap now ($2.5K).

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 10:18:02 am »

The Kodak Proback 645M was my first MFDB--created excellent images.  Dated by today's standards, but still will generate gorgeous large images within its limtis.

Batteries should stilll be available---mine lasted a long time when I was using the back.  There is an "adapter power cord" available from Quantum, that will allow you to power the Kodak Proback using a Quantum Turbo battery or similar smaller Quantum option like the Turbo SC

I miss shooting square....sometimes.

grappa

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:44:51 pm »

FWIW I am still using Kodak Photodesk on my Mac. I am sure you can still download it.
Photodesk is a great and easy to use program for developing the raw files.
 Once in a while I drag out my Contax/Kodak Proback camera just to compare it to my
newer cameras. If you don't need higher ISO than 200 the results make me wonder if
we have really gone ahead much. There is a depth to the color that I love. Maybe the
camera-lens combination,maybe the back,maybe I am fooling myself out of nostalgia.

Pages: [1]   Go Up