Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 Profiles  (Read 2738 times)

bstevent

Epson 3800 Profiles
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:04:26 pm »

I'm setting up an Epson Stylus Pro 3800 on my PowerMac G5.

When I installed the software I couldn't see Epson's profiles. This made soft proofing (in CaptureNX2) impossible. I found the profiles by following the advice in an earlier post in this forum. (Thanks!)
/Library/Printers/EPSON/InkjetPrinter/ICCProfiles/Pro38.profiles/Contents/Resources/
Pro38.profiles is a package; do a control-click/Reveal Package Contents to get to Contents/Resources/

I copied the profiles and put the copies in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles Now I have two copies of each on the hard drive

My question: Have I created any problems for myself by doing this? Would I be better off use alias' that point to the original profiles?

I also had trouble getting the print driver to work. The driver seemed to lack options and files would load but stop before printing. I cured that problem by removing and reinstalling software. Now all seems to be working properly. For all I know, the difficulty I had finding the profiles was a by-product of this process.

Going from an Epson 960 to a 3800 is a bit like turning a beater in for a new 4x4 (I live in pickup country).

Bob

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Epson 3800 Profiles
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 03:17:15 pm »

No it's okay to do so. I more often than not make aliases just to reduce disc space. By copying at least you avoid the chance that if you update the driver the aliases are not broken.

bstevent

Epson 3800 Profiles
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 04:55:50 pm »

Quote from: neil snape
No it's okay to do so. I more often than not make aliases just to reduce disc space. By copying at least you avoid the chance that if you update the driver the aliases are not broken.

Thanks for the reassurance. Any idea why the profiles aren't installed in Library/ColorSync?Profiles automatically by the Epson installer?

Bob

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Epson 3800 Profiles
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 05:57:55 pm »

Quote from: bstevent
Thanks for the reassurance. Any idea why the profiles aren't installed in Library/ColorSync?Profiles automatically by the Epson installer?

Bob

Just the way Epson chooses to work.  Guess that makes it easier to "uninstall".

Sometimes this work around is required to get LR to see the profiles. This is usually the only way the colorsync utility can see them as well.

One thing you can do is move them instead of copying them  What I do is create a folder within my Library/ColorSync/Profiles  folder with the name of the printer ... 7900.  I move all of the profiles from Epson's package into this folder.  I then create another folder inside the 7900 folder I label Disabled, and I move all of the 7900 profiles I don't use into that.

OS X appears to read one subfolder deep inside the Profiles folder.   This means when printing in Photoshop I only see the 7900 profiles I want to see.  If you reinstall the driver, they will all be back in the Epson package so you have to discard those, or replace the ones in the colorsync folder if there may have been changes.

Apple should  take a look at how LR lets you enable/disable profiles.  That would be a great improvement, but this "hack" helps.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
Epson 3800 Profiles
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:39:46 am »

Quote from: bstevent

Bob

There are some non Colorsync aware applications that by having the profiles embedded in the package contents of the driver make a color managed workflow easier and possible.
HP do the same these days with profiles hidden in the drivers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up