Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: North Shore Superior and Huron  (Read 4903 times)

jdlevy

North Shore Superior and Huron
« on: June 05, 2004, 11:06:27 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']Dan,

My sister has a place near Grand Marais and the area around there has a lot of small lakes and state parks. Very nice. We are going back there in October.

A few pix: Part of My Webpage[/font]
David
 My

Malok

• http://ImagesofRMNP.com
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2004, 10:43:43 am »

[font color=\'#000000\']I as well would have to recommend the Grand Marais area. It is one of my favorite spots on Lake Superior. The town harbor has some great possibilities. Also as mentioned there are a number of state parks along Minnesota's North Shore from Duluth up past Grand Marais. Many of them have beautiful waterfalls and terrific shore lines. Perhaps the most photographed of the state parks is Split Rock which is about 40miles above Duluth. It has a very distinctive light house. My personal favorite is Cascade State Park which is 10 miles below Grand Marais. There are numerous waterfalls, beautiful forests, a couple of nice overlooks of lake Superior over the forests, and pleanty of character on the shore. Also, there is a road heading north (inland) from Grand Marais called the Gunflint Trail. It is surrounded by lakes and ends in the middle of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area which is a gem in and of itself. If you head out early enough you can find Moose, Bear and other animals along the road. You may even want to consider taking a one or two day canoe trip through very remote and beautiful scenery.

If you go to Grand Marais, please grab a couple of the "World's Best Donuts" and a pizza at "Sven and Ole's". I wish I could join you. I've lived in many different countries and traveled all over the world, but this area remains one of my favorite.

Enjoy![/font]
Erik Stensland
*********************** [

dbarthel

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004, 01:29:27 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']We will be on the north shore of Lake Superior and Huron in late August and early September. Any must do advice?

Dan[/font]

Bishhopper

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 10:26:24 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']I'm fond of Lake Superior Prov. Park.  It boasts a rough and rocky Lake Superior coastline, waterfalls, scenic trails, etc.  If you are camping, Agawa Bay campground is nice with sites right on the edge of the beach.

Also.....If you make it to Georgian Bay, Killarney Prov. Park is a photographers dream. (especially in autumn)  Be sure to stop in the town of Killarney and have a fish dinner at the old bus down by the harbor. (to die for)  Get a room at the Sportsmans Inn down on the waterfront, and spend a couple of hours relaxing on the porch watching the boats and people come and go.

Check out the photo gallery here:
http://www.friendsofkillarneypark.ca/[/font]

Gary_Berg

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2004, 01:13:00 pm »

[font color=\'#000000\']Having just returned from NW of Sault Ste Marie, Ontario...

I strongly reccomend the Lake Superior Provincial Park. We went up the Sand River area; the first 1/4-1/2 mile has lots of waterfalls, and is easy to get to.

Just south of the park area along Highway 17 is the Chippewa River; there are falls just off the highway that are sort of fun.

If you want to go to the Petroglyph's, make sure you are aware that although it is only 4-500 meters to the shore, a it seems to be another 200 meters between going up and down the rocks! It is very steep, and when you get there you will find the glyphs are on a vertical wall that actually leans out over the water, and there is about a 5-6 ft wide ledge you can climb along, that slopes down towards the water (probably a 20-30 degree angle). There are spikes near the top of this ledge you can try to hold on to...

The Agawa Canyon area is quite pretty, but the train ride would be more fun if it was an hour shorter each way. It's a full day afair, leaves promptly at 8AM and we didn't get back until almost 6PM. The falls in the Agawa Canyon park are about 175-210 ft in height.

Beware the state bird - the skeeters are out in force whenever the wind doesn't blow them away...[/font]
Pages: [1]   Go Up