Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Sad Demise of the 5D  (Read 15630 times)

Roger Calixto

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 12:49:50 pm »

Quote from: Arlen
What's an MBP?

HAH! i had the same question!! Magically bullet proof?

On a more realistic note, I find the idea of an old digital camera not being a keeper a problem. 20 years ago there were all sorts of new cameras coming out, with new gadgets and doohickeys. Back then techno freaks always wanted the new thing too, the difference I think is more social. Now our techno freaks are mainstream, and entering the amateur / semi pro market with lots of money. These are the Engineers that thrive on developing new computer technologies and having the new whatever on their phone.

I think the keepers depend on what you need and what you want. I had an EA1 for ages, i mean who didn't have a camera for ages before digital? But IMHO, the bottom line is that now that quality is plateauing it will become a gadget race and not so much a quality race. Then there will be more keepers. Maybe starting with the 5D?

just my $0.2
KT
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

dudu307

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 01:42:24 pm »

What's an MBP?

A computer? Apple MacBook Pro  

Arlen

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 02:24:19 pm »

Quote from: dudu307
A computer? Apple MacBook Pro  

Ah, that must be it. Thanks for translating for those of us who don't hang out on Mac forums.  

ecemfjm

• http://www.manuelfernando.es
The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 02:55:43 pm »

Ah, that must be it. Thanks for translating for those of us who don't hang out on Mac forums.

I didn't know too, but we always have the wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBP

Have fun

maxgruzen

• http://www.pbase.com/mordicai
The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 08:14:17 pm »

Quote from: ecemfjm
I didn't know too, but we always have the wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBP

Have fun

Yah, Sorry I sometimes forget that there are still people who don't use Mac's.  My current Apple laptop is not up to the task of processing 5DII files efficiently, and I would need to buy a new one. I think part of what I'm about here is a rebellion at the need of today technology to continuously keep upgrading. It just never seems to stop. When I think about it though, I  guess it wasn't that different when I was shooting film ....Leica to Hasselblad to Linhof to Sinar.....I guess it's just the nature of our profession.

Ray

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2009, 08:18:11 am »

Quote from: Pelao
It's kind of sad that new stuff sometimes makes us question existing gear beyond where it makes sense to do so.

If the 5D does it for you, keep shooting and enjoying it. It has not suddenly become a poor camera at all. It is capable of awesome results. In a year or so, 2nd hand ones will be available, and the price of new may be down too.

I bought my 20D in 2005. I still use it. great camera for my purposes. As my technique and preferred subject matter has have evolved, so have some of my needs. I wanted FF, so I recently grabbed an open box 5D. It offers the possibility of great results at a great price. that's what matters to me.

One point that has been overlooked in this thread is the durability of the 5D. The shutter is good for only 100,000 actuations. I've used my 5D for 3 1/2 years. I'm pretty close to the 100,000 mark. The mirror has already fallen off and been repaired. The next thing to go will likely be the shutter.

Can anyone tell me if the mirror housing assembly, which was replaced, includes the shutter? I mean, they didn't just stick the mirror back on. They replaced a whole assembly.

jani

• Øyet
The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2009, 08:35:52 am »

Quote from: Ray
Can anyone tell me if the mirror housing assembly, which was replaced, includes the shutter? I mean, they didn't just stick the mirror back on. They replaced a whole assembly.
From what I can tell, these are completely separate.

This post at photography-on-the-net seems to confirm it.
Jan

Ray

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2009, 09:40:53 am »

Quote from: jani
From what I can tell, these are completely separate.

This post at photography-on-the-net seems to confirm it.

I'm not sure that post completely confirms it, but assuming it's correct, I would not like to sell my 5D to some stranger without informing him/her of the situation, which means I could not expect a good price, which means I might as well give it away..... when I get a 5D2   .

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2009, 09:51:03 am »

I'm not sure that post completely confirms it, but assuming it's correct, I would not like to sell my 5D to some stranger without informing him/her of the situation, which means I could not expect a good price, which means I might as well give it away..... when I get a 5D2   .

Ray,

I'll be happy to take the 5D off your hands, as a backup for my own 5D. I'll even split the shipping with you!   

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Roger Calixto

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2009, 10:09:23 am »

how generous!! I'll double that offer and pay FULL shipping cost AND a cup of coffee at somewhere other than Starbucks!
--------------
If my day job wasn't so cool, I'd quit and be a photographer =)

Ray

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2009, 10:12:10 am »

Quote from: EricM
Ray,

I'll be happy to take the 5D off your hands, as a backup for my own 5D. I'll even split the shipping with you!   

Eric

No, Eric. I would expect you to pay for the shipping in full   . But I would not contemplate giving it away untill I get a 5D2 (or maybe I'll wait for the 5D3   ).

maxgruzen

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2009, 10:37:26 am »

No, Eric. I would expect you to pay for the shipping in full   . But I would not contemplate giving it away untill I get a 5D2 (or maybe I'll wait for the 5D3   ).

Hey, wait a minute! This is my post and I get 1st dibs on any free 5D's.

Eric Myrvaagnes

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2009, 07:31:33 pm »

Quote from: maxgruzen
Hey, wait a minute! This is my post and I get 1st dibs on any free 5D's.
Well, Max, i guess we'll just have to settle this like civilized gentlemen -- with our fists.   
Maybe I should let you have the first one, and I'll take any others.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jerry Kurata

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 10:52:04 am »

Reading Michael's latest essay on high definition camera's brings to mind how sad I feel at the demise of the 5d Mk 1.  I have no need for 20+ megs.  My work is on  the net and my prints rarely exceed 16x24.  I don't want or need the hassle of processing huge files and the need to buy a new computer and much, much more storage. I  love my large photosites. What I do need though is a full frame 12-15 mg Canon, because I love my 85 f 1.2, and my 24 f 1.4. Unfortunately Canon no longer makes such a camera. How long will I be able to use my 5D?  Insanity!

I find the 5DMK2 a pretty big step up from my 5D.  I suspect if you try a 5DMK2 your 5D will be up for sale.  It is faster in all respects and the IQ is great.  Also you can actually use the LCD to judge focus and view images in daylight.  When you combine the new LCD with LiveView and the 10x magnification you have a landscape shooter dream camera.  The new LCD and 10X magnification also helps to judge the critical sharpness of images, especially if you use those lenses wide open.  And if the lenses are not focusing precisely you can use MA to correct them.

Also, I don't know why you would need to get a new computer.  I am using the same system I used with my 5D and it works just fine.  One caveat is that I do not use Macs and do not serious photo work on a laptop because of screen size and calibration issues.

jerry
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:57:10 am by Jerry Kurata »

jimhuber

• Elegant Earth
The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 11:00:10 am »

I was very enamored with my 5D, too, when I had it. I think you may be overlooking two obvious solutions, though: Nikon D3 and D700.

maxgruzen

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2009, 12:16:27 am »

Quote from: jimhuber
I was very enamored with my 5D, too, when I had it. I think you may be overlooking two obvious solutions, though: Nikon D3 and D700.

Nobody besides Canon has an 85 1.2 or a 24 1.4. Thats why I shoot Canon. If not for that I would
consider a Sony.

Ray

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 01:39:09 am »

I think this waterproofing issue with the 5D2 needs to be sorted before I put in my order for one. I always knew the 5D2 would be extremely popular as soon as the specs were published and that there would be no chance of getting one before Christmas in Australia unless I were to put in a pre-order immediately.

This has proved to be the case. The first shipments to Australia went to those who pre-ordered, but I'm generally reluctant to be one of those who like to snap up whetever's new. The last time I did that was when I upgraded to a Win XP 64 bit operating system. I wasn't able to calibrate my monitor for the next 6 months due to the lack of a driver for my colorimeter.

There have been two issues so far with the 5D2; black dots and waterproofing. The first appears to have been fixed, but the second is a major concern, according to Michael's Antartic report. I'd like to see this problem addressed before I put in my order for a 5D2. They are now readily available in Australia, but I'm not tempted.

In the meantime I can make do with the Canon 50D for focal lengths from 26mm to 900mm, and the Nikon D700 for focal lengths from 14 to 24MM.

Ken R

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2009, 01:27:54 am »

I have, on ocassion, used my 1Ds mark III on JPG M1 and M2 even sRaw. Quality is still superb. Honestly for most things ~10MP is more than enough. Most of the time careful technique (instead of a slight inscrease in MP) makes much more of a difference (quality of glass, focus accuracy and lack of camera shake, image post-production) on final image quality.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 01:30:03 am by sneakyracer »

maxgruzen

The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2009, 11:29:38 am »

Quote from: sneakyracer
I have, on ocassion, used my 1Ds mark III on JPG M1 and M2 even sRaw. Quality is still superb. Honestly for most things ~10MP is more than enough. Most of the time careful technique (instead of a slight inscrease in MP) makes much more of a difference (quality of glass, focus accuracy and lack of camera shake, image post-production) on final image quality.

So instead of taking a good platform like the 5D and making it great like adding a big bright viewfinder like the Sony; good accurate focus points; and better weather proofing they have thrown it in the trash bin, in favor of 24mps and video which a lot of us simply do not want.

jani

• Øyet
The Sad Demise of the 5D
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2009, 02:53:16 pm »

So instead of taking a good platform like the 5D and making it great like adding a big bright viewfinder like the Sony; good accurate focus points; and better weather proofing they have thrown it in the trash bin, in favor of 24mps and video which a lot of us simply do not want.
And, obviously, the users don't want:

- larger viewfinder coverage (even though it's not at pro spec)
 - better dynamic range
 - better colour depth
 - better low-light ISO
 - live view
 - bigger and better LCD screen
 - bigger print size
 - AF microadjustment (ok, so it's of limited use, but better than nothing)
 - sensor cleaning
 - two extra custom modes
 - IR remote
 - improved battery status and battery info for individual batteries
 - permanent ISO display in viewfinder
 - CF+ and UDMA cards
 - dedicated AF-on button
 - creative auto mode
 - potentially faster autofocus (allegedly better AF processing)

Some things are just different, like the battery, battery grip, wireless grip, etc.

While not all of these may be interesting to you, personally, I don't see that your claim of "trash" can be warranted. The current (and serious!) concerns regarding water resistance non-withstanding.

If this camera's new features are such big problems for you, just don't buy the camera! Buy the old model, used, in 5-packs, if you want.

But this kind of whining is just silly.
Jan
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up