Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D II processing in DPP  (Read 4583 times)

Khurram

5D II processing in DPP
« on: January 31, 2009, 11:07:13 pm »

Just got back from the weekend in Banff.

Got a pretty cool sunrise this morning and a decent sunset a couple nights ago during my trip.

I'm finding the processing of the files quite different from the old 5D and 1DIIN/1DIII files.

I'd appreciate on some advice on the following:

1. There seems to be a pinkish blotchy outline of the reflection of the mountain  - not sure what the reason is or how to get rid of this
2. The reflection of the cloud that is directly above the left peak of mount rundle (is within the pink glow), also shows up as up with a blotchy outline
3. I'm still processing in DPP, and finding sharpening and colors seem to really differ with the 5DII as compared to 1DIII and 5D - does this match with the experience of others? (note I did downloaded and just got some lightroom 2 books, which I held off on going through as i had read that none of the other processers are that great with the 5DII raw files yet).
4. My Macbook is color profiled, but, i'm having a heck of time to get my files in DPP to match the RAW files on the LCD.  It took a LONG time to get this file close to what I see on the LCD.

Note i do have the most recent firmware for both the 5DII and DPP.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 06:06:50 pm by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

Khurram

5D II processing in DPP
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 06:34:18 pm »

Here is another similar example.  In this one the blotchy outlines around the clouds are more visible both around the clouds and around the reflections as well.
----

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
5D II processing in DPP
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:44:19 am »

I just loaded DPP again for another test in the MFDB topics, but can say I won't be using it. LR2 does everything I need. Some say Capture One is better, others RAW DEV.

The fringe seems to be a DPP artifact if it wasn't for the supposed bright spots correccted in firmware.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
5D II processing in DPP
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 09:30:21 am »

A few answers might help:

What Picture Style are you using?
Are you increasing any saturation in the Raw tab or RGB tab?
Are you applying any curve adjustments in the RGB tab?
~ CB

Khurram

5D II processing in DPP
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:48:58 am »

Quote from: Chris_Brown
A few answers might help:

What Picture Style are you using?
Are you increasing any saturation in the Raw tab or RGB tab?
Are you applying any curve adjustments in the RGB tab?
Standard picture style, I actually reduced the Saturation in some of the photos i processed, for this one, i think in the main tab the setting was zero and 108 in the RGB tab.  I used a very slight curve adjusment, however, even without the adjustment there is fringing/blotchiness in the reflection.  not sure if its only becuase there is movement in the water and clouds, or if there is a color fringing issue.  

I think I've got the colors to match better by adjusting the WB a bit more, but more of a concern is the fringing around the edges of the reflection of the mountain and clouds.
----

Panopeeper

5D II processing in DPP
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 02:16:50 am »

I don't think it has to do with fringing, or with photography at all. IMO this is a natural phenomenon.
Gabor

marcmccalmont

5D II processing in DPP
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:46:19 am »

Quote from: neil snape
I just loaded DPP again for another test in the MFDB topics, but can say I won't be using it. LR2 does everything I need. Some say Capture One is better, others RAW DEV.

The fringe seems to be a DPP artifact if it wasn't for the supposed bright spots corrected in firmware.

I've always preferred DxO for my Canon files (free 30 day trial)
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
5D II processing in DPP
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:01:57 pm »

Quote from: Khurram
Standard picture style, I actually reduced the Saturation in some of the photos i processed, for this one, i think in the main tab the setting was zero and 108 in the RGB tab.  I used a very slight curve adjusment, however, even without the adjustment there is fringing/blotchiness in the reflection.  not sure if its only becuase there is movement in the water and clouds, or if there is a color fringing issue.  

I think I've got the colors to match better by adjusting the WB a bit more, but more of a concern is the fringing around the edges of the reflection of the mountain and clouds.
The "Standard" picture style actually has an inherent increase in contrast, color saturation and sharpening built into it. I believe this is at the root of your problem. In DPP, if you simply set the picture style to "Neutral" you will see a dramatic decrease in contrast and saturation and this will help resolve your problem with the over-saturated parts of the scene.

The use of Picture Styles in DPP is to help the photographer quickly output files with some preset parameters. The idea being that this will facilitate quick printing at, say, a wedding reception or prom. The Standard picture style is dubbed "Standard", IMO, because most users would increase saturation and contrast from the "Neutral" or "Faithful" settings.

If you desire to make your own Picture Styles, Canon has the Picture Style Editor and plenty of info about it here.
~ CB

The View

5D II processing in DPP
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:14:31 am »

"Standard" increases the saturation in the reds.

That's a killer for portrait, and an overkill for your sunrise/sunset scene.

I use "neutral".
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Rickard Hansson

5D II processing in DPP
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 05:57:57 pm »

I read that you are having a hard time adjusting your images so they look like the screen on the camera.

If you have an profiled display, then I believe that one will give you an more correct representation of your files compared to the screen/display on camera.
But, if you feel that the display on your cameras should be the reference, then why not.

Peterretep

• http://www.mountainphotographics.com
5D II processing in DPP
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 06:30:40 am »

Khurram, about the two samples you posted, are they simple raw conversions straight from DPP or is there any post production work?

Are these the full images or crops?

The fringing along the edge of the ridges in the sky and reflection looks like CA to me, though it is strange to see it in the frame center so clearly. What lens were these taken with? Is it one that you have seen good results with in similar situations?

Peter

Architectural Photography by Peter Montanti, www.mountainphotographics.com

Pages: [1]   Go Up